Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
I am new this forum and want to say hello to everyone.
The wife and I have been riding for years and have recently aquired a 1989 VMX12W. The max is stock from what I can tell except windscreen and purchased from the original owner. Has 25300 Km's. My wife had gone and purchased this a few weeks ago, asked me to go pick it up. It was about 45 minutes from home. We both had no idea of what a Vmax was except that it was a 1200.
When I was riding it home on the highway I noticed that it was quite responsive and had good pickup. Being new to the bike I did not push it. Thank God! When I arrived at home I looked up the Vmax on the internet.
First thing I found that caught my eye was a video on youtube. We watched together and I am sure both our mouths dropped open when we saw the tire smoking, 360's and wheelies! Wow I said what did you buy!
Now we know what we have after lots of reserch and are real proud new owners of an old yet new bike. I am sure we will not ride this bike like the video's you see out there. It will be loads of fun. Already is!
Anyway I came across this forum and it seems to have lots of info. I will need to learn this bike inside out as I have with the others we have. I don't want to trash the sevice of the different dealers in my area, but I have been ripped off and overcharged for work that I ended up having to do over. I have had bad experiences and will not trust our bikes to see a service shop ever again. That goes for our Kawasaki dealer who is also our Yamaha dealer. The Honda dealer is a father and son deal. Who could not even put on a new front tire. One of the front brake calipars came off and hanging by the brake line a block away. Our lives depend on it!!!!
So needless to say the Max will need some looking at here and there.
I have already learned from your forum and I am sure there is more to come. Keep up this great place!

We also have 2 1980 Kz 750 twins and a 1982 Goldwing Interstate.

Grant

P.S. Lots of guys can't talk their wife into letting them have a bike.
I'm lucky, look at what my wife brought home.:th_laugh2:

Last edited:
Hello
The wife and I have been riding for years and have recently aquired a 1989 VMX12W. The max is stock from what I can tell except windscreen and purchased from the original owner. Has 25300 Km's. My wife had gone and purchased this a few weeks ago, asked me to go pick it up. It was about 45 minutes from home. We both had no idea of what a Vmax was except that it was a 1200.
When I was riding it home on the highway I noticed that it was quite responsive and had good pickup. Being new to the bike I did not push it. Thank God! When I arrived at home I looked up the Vmax on the internet.
First thing I found that caught my eye was a video on youtube. We watched together and I am sure both our mouths dropped open when we saw the tire smoking, 360's and wheelies! Wow I said what did you buy!
Now we know what we have after lots of reserch and are real proud new owners of an old yet new bike. I am sure we will not ride this bike like the video's you see out there. It will be loads of fun. Already is!
Anyway I came across this forum and it seems to have lots of info. I will need to learn this bike inside out as I have with the others we have. I don't want to trash the sevice of the different dealers in my area, but I have been ripped off and overcharged for work that I ended up having to do over. I have had bad experiences and will not trust our bikes to see a service shop ever again. That goes for our Kawasaki dealer who is also our Yamaha dealer. The Honda dealer is a father and son deal. Who could not even put on a new front tire. One of the front brake calipars came off and hanging by the brake line a block away. Our lives depend on it!!!!
I have already learned from your forum and I am sure there is more to come. Keep up this great place!

Grant

LOL You are a lucky man!

The VMAX is a kitten... Just don't be stupid and it won't bite.

Enjoy and welcome!

Chris

Welcome aboard! Obviously, your wife thinks you are someone very special.

The vmax has a dual personality (Jeckyl& Hyde) - it will cruise around all day without complaint or burn the rear tire off and wheelie if so inclined. Just depends on your mood at the time!

Good luck with the new bike!

Mike

Hi Guys,

I am very happy to find this forum. I have been looking for a good communication hub to exchange with fellow VMaxers and I think I found it.

I have a 2002 V-Max that I bought on eBay from Las Vegas after the previous owner lost money and had to sell it and it is still stock. I am lucky to have this V-Max but I am thinking of selling it and put the money as a downpayment for the badass:worthy: Gen2 . I am not sure I will survive if I bought it:rofl_200:.

If I end up keeping my V-Max I want to change the headlights so I will be pinging you for ideas. I am also breaking down and buying a sissy bar (used or new any suggestions?), as I almost lost the wife on a couple of fast take offs. She was not happy I tell ya:real mad:.

Toe-Knee

Hello

Grant

When I bought mine, I had no idea about the V-Boost. I was riding it on the highway when I decided to open it a little. When it hit around the 6000rpm mark (it is actually 5700) the bike almost left me behind. Thanks God I was holding tght to the reigns. This is one mustang that needed taming.

Toe-Knee

Hey all ....how the heck did I not know about the VMF???
Andy-4404
Thank you Mark for broadening my horizons!!

As for the backrest....keep an eye on Ebay, although this time of year they can get pricey......I bought mine new from an online Yamasaki Dealer, waited 6 weeks (backordered).....wife and kids cannot live without it! Doesn't look bad either!

Welcome Grant

Congrats on your new gift. Sounds like you have an awesome wife and now you have an awesome bike, what more could a guy ask for out of life!!
I am sure we all would love to see some pics of your new VMAX.

Yankee:clapping:

Hello
lankeeyankee Just so you know the max is my wifes bike, I can however ride it, as long as she is not on it.
Also I get the pleasure of keeping it running and safe for her.
Pictures are in my albums.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=48
http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=50

I found vmf searching for vmax forums.
I new I would find fellow riders who like to chat and keep bikes running.
The 89 we have runs very well, but I know I have loads to learn.
In a forum like this this there is very useful info and help.

Grant :thumbs up:

New VMAX Owner in VA

Name is Graham, and I am the PROUD new owner of a 1989 model. It has an issue that I will hopefully get worked out very soon but, I already love it. I do have a question though, My scoops are black but all the other VMAX's are all siver. Do I have a "low end" VMAX? I have a lot of learning to do!

Graham

Re: New VMAX Owner in VA

Name is Graham, and I am the PROUD new owner of a 1989 model. It has an issue that I will hopefully get worked out very soon but, I already love it. I do have a question though, My scoops are black but all the other VMAX's are all siver. Do I have a "low end" VMAX? I have a lot of learning to do!

Graham

The 89's came with black scoops and I do not believe there is a low end VMAX.

Grant

Actually you have a rare version as I believe only one or two years came with gloss black scoops. That was one of the prettiest Maxes. The rest are clearcoat aluminum or two tone clearcoat aluminum with a satin black lower portion.

Hey eVeryone! Fresh fish here. Taking posession of my first V-max in about a week. Actually it'll be my first bike. Been wanting one since I was first aware of them around '86. Mid-life crisis is the excuse I'm using for getting this one. It's an '85, black with black scoops and the inherant 2nd gear pop out problem. It looks to be in pretty good condition for a 23 yr old machine, although will undoubtedly need some work. I've done quite a bit of reading already on the 2nd gear fix and will do quite a bit more before I start posting questions. It looks like there is quite a wealth of knowledge and info in this forum that I can't wait to tap into.
:pullhair: <-------- My wife when she finds out about the Max.

Dale

Hey eVeryone! Fresh fish here. Taking posession of my first V-max in about a week. Actually it'll be my first bike. Been wanting one since I was first aware of them around '86. Mid-life crisis is the excuse I'm using for getting this one. It's an '85, black with black scoops and the inherant 2nd gear pop out problem. It looks to be in pretty good condition for a 23 yr old machine, although will undoubtedly need some work. I've done quite a bit of reading already on the 2nd gear fix and will do quite a bit more before I start posting questions. It looks like there is quite a wealth of knowledge and info in this forum that I can't wait to tap into.
:pullhair: <-------- My wife when she finds out about the Max.

Dale

Hello
If this is your first bike and you have never been a rider, I would suggest you take a motorcycle saftey course.
Be careful as that is a lot of bike for a new rider. I read somewhere that this should not be your first bike and most likely not your second.
Know your limits. Know how to ride slow before you ever try to go fast.
Take time to learn you and your bike at places with lots of road no intersections and as few obasticles as you can find.
Busy places have more stop than go.
Practice braking!
Before putting the wife on the back.
There is way to many police, peckerhead, cellphone using, distracted, drunk, drugged, can barely see drivers out there!!!
I belive it is not usually the biker who is at fault.

Have FUN

Grant:thumbs up:

Hello
If this is your first bike and you have never been a rider, I would suggest you take a motorcycle saftey course.
Be careful as that is a lot of bike for a new rider. I read somewhere that this should not be your first bike and most likely not your second.
Know your limits. Know how to ride slow before you ever try to go fast.
Take time to learn you and your bike at places with lots of road no intersections and as few obasticles as you can find.
Busy places have more stop than go.
Practice braking!
Before putting the wife on the back.
There is way to many police, peckerhead, cellphone using, distracted, drunk, drugged, can barely see drivers out there!!!
I belive it is not usually the biker who is at fault.

Have FUN

Grant:thumbs up:

I have to agree that this really isn't a good first bike! Please be very careful as these things are not forgiving. Have fun and stay off of the throtltle (I know, it's hard to) and take that class! Congrats on the newe ride, I just got mine and I am in luuuuuv with it, what a machine!.

Actually you have a rare version as I believe only one or two years came with gloss black scoops. That was one of the prettiest Maxes. The rest are clearcoat aluminum or two tone clearcoat aluminum with a satin black lower portion.

I heard the same thing from my neighbor last night. Rare or not I don't really care, it's going to get ridden! Plus I don't see many MAX's around so in my eyes they are all rare. I am so in love with this thing!

Thanks for the comments guys! I am a new rider and I've also read that this is not a learners bike. I had already planned on taking a safety/riding course, so that one's no big deal. My further plan was to take the bike to the small industrial park at my work and ride it around there for a week or two before I actually hit roads with traffic and such on them. I really didn't want a Max so I could go fast, I just always loved the way they look. I do autocross to get my "speed" fix and feel WAY safer in a car than on a bike, so I'll definately be taking it easy on the Max. It should just be a cruiser for me, unless it has ideas of its own. But I really have no intention of an aggressive riding style... at least not until I feel VERY comfortable on it.
Thanks again for the comments.

Dale

That's what I said Mo, just a cruiser, something to ride to the store for milk. But let me tell ya, when that 1200 cc powerplant hits 6000 rpm, the v boost starts to open and it looks like there is just no end to the power and acceleration of this beast------well, you're gonna get addicted to that, just like the rest of us. And that's cool, just take it slow for awhile, riding around the lot at work is a good idea, be a little extra respectful, these things can bite ya. :worthy:

Good luck and welcome.

dan:biglaugh:

Thanks for the comments guys! I am a new rider and I've also read that this is not a learners bike. I had already planned on taking a safety/riding course, so that one's no big deal. My further plan was to take the bike to the small industrial park at my work and ride it around there for a week or two before I actually hit roads with traffic and such on them. I really didn't want a Max so I could go fast, I just always loved the way they look. I do autocross to get my "speed" fix and feel WAY safer in a car than on a bike, so I'll definately be taking it easy on the Max. It should just be a cruiser for me, unless it has ideas of its own. But I really have no intention of an aggressive riding style... at least not until I feel VERY comfortable on it.
Thanks again for the comments.

Dale

I'm living proof that surviving a VMax as your first bike is possible. Like you, I always wanted one, and just couldn't bring myself to buy a VTwin.

Actually, I still think that if you're a mature guy and don't try to carve canyons, the Max is a mild-mannered suburban bike - if you want it to be.

Good luck with it!

Back