Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Everyone!
New member here and my name is Mike.I'm 56 years of age and live in Vista,Ca which is about 40 miles north of San Diego. I've been riding for about 40 years now and have owned and ridden both Jap bikes and Harleys. I've been wanting a Max since the first time I saw one and finally got a 2005 with 13,000 miles that I'll be picking up this weekend. It's been well maintained with some nice upgrades already. I've been reading and absorbing everything I can on this great site and have already learned so much about an awesome bike I don't even have yet. I tell you I've been like a little kid waiting for Christmas and can't wait to get it! lmfao! I know you guys like pics so I'm attaching some of my new baby! :biglaugh:Mike

very clean, i like it!

Thanks Beekeeper and Garrett! Can't wait to pick it up on Sunday.Unfortunately it's supposed to rain over the weekend and I will be driving to Fresno about 5 hours to get it but I have an enclosed trailer.

Greetings Jpou, and welcome to Vmax Forum! Nice custom Vmax, very cool paint work! Who makes your rear wheel?
Welcome Mike! Great looking bike looks very clean,one of my favorite years of Vmax!. Looks like you have a good start on the mods!:punk:

Hi Everyone!
My name is Greg. I'm Located in Munster, IN 30 miles from Chicago.
Yesterday I became a 2008 Max (first gen) owner. The bike had just 4 miles on it and herein lays my problem.
The dealer that sold it to me on consignement did things to it to reanimate it. They changed oil/filter, bled the brakes/ clutch (why?), and claim to have cleaned the carbs...
Took them loong time to get this bike ready - they got it in spring and were asking $7000. I checked on it now and then as I was working up my budget. Now half year later picked it up for $4800.
Back to my problem.
The dealer told me they put antipinging agent in the tank and that's why it runs rough. I got it to reserve and put in a full tank of premium, got another 20 miles on it.It idles well. It still runs rough at low to 5500rpm. Above that it suddenly becomes a V-MAX and once the V-boost kicks in at 6500 all is well too...
Now this behavior is consistent with gummed up/plugged cirquit in the carbs descriptions that i found. Also when I started the bike from cold today, much more smoke came frome right pipe then left.

I am qute convinced I will have to give the carbs a real cleaning and likely a synch afterwards. Because a winter is coming (and we have real ones here) I don't think I should tear into those carbs before I even use up one tank of gas. The dealer says it will clear up (anti pinging agent).

Plan A
I may decide to take carbs out and clean them during winter.

Plan B
I could just park the bike in cold sub freezing garage and... and what?
Do i start it every few weeks?
Do I put SeeFoam or other stabiliser/cleaner in?

To refraze
What's the best way to winterize a bike which has likely some gunk in the carbs?

I am glad you guys are here, looking forward to being a participant in the forum and hopefuly contributing some day.
Greg

Plan A
I may decide to take carbs out and clean them during winter.

Plan B
I could just park the bike in cold sub freezing garage and... and what?
Do i start it every few weeks?
Do I put SeeFoam or other stabiliser/cleaner in?

To refraze
What's the best way to winterize a bike which has likely some gunk in the carbs?

I am glad you guys are here, looking forward to being a participant in the forum and hopefuly contributing some day.
Greg

Welcome Greg!

I live in the arctic and have a Vmax in an unheated shed at -60 and another in my garage.

Only difference is I didn't check the antifreeze in the Vmax in the heated garage, but the one in the cold I made sure its protection level is down there.

Other then that, its fuel stabilizer (seafoam,stabil...etc) battery on a tender (the bike in the cold had it's battery pulled) and a light misting of wd40 on misc metal parts that might get a little surface rust on them, and the bikes are lifted off the ground.

If you have gunk in your carbs, winter is a great time to put the clean on them. there is a sticky on the how-to's in the carb section.

Hello!
My name is Trevor and I live in Kent, WA(just south of Seattle). I have wanted a max since 1985 so finally decided to get one now.(mid-life crisis? 45). I had never seen one in the Seattle area(23 on this forum, hope to meet some) and there was only one for sale($8G too much for me) so I bought one off Ebay.(99 Carbon Fiber 15K miles, light mods(Cobra pipes, K&N one-piece filter, V-Boosts & fan switches, aftermarket sissy bar)) for $4200. It was in Nashville, TN, so I had to pay close to $500 to get it delivered. (I would probably not do this again, hard to judge a bike by pictures, seller's idea of "Excellent Condition" and mine differed somewhat.)

I have not been able to ride it much due to rain(Seattle, duh), maybe 25 miles in two weeks, but it is sure nice to ride again.(I've had 3 bikes in the past but not for 15 years and none over 650cc).

I bought a jacket, helmet, gloves, nice cover, battery tender, haynes manual and ordered a SuperMax seat. I plan on doing front Progressive springs/oil/seals, after-market fork brace, furber fix. Probably race bars w/ riser, grips, carbon levers. Maybe tail light, horn, turn indicators. Eventually stainless brake lines, etc, also various chrome bits here and there...you guys know. Nothing fancy like super-charger or NOS. I will probably get some Tyga CF parts too..

So hope to chat/meet some of you soon.

Trevor

Welcome to the collective Trevor :punk:

...you guys know. Nothing fancy like super-charger or NOS. I will probably get some Tyga CF parts too..
You say that now, but wait a few months. :biglaugh:

The slip-on cobras look and sound good, but they tend to rob horsepower. so as you get used to your new ride you my find yourself looking for a little more.
I suggest supertrapp slip-ons to restore some lost power and have a great sound or a full system like Mark's pipes or a Kerker system.

Take advantage of the search button at the top. I think you'll find a ton of useful info here.

hola que tal?
thanks for the welcome. are a SuperTrapp exhaust, removed the washers and I soldered a reduction tube (I filled all the shit and I burned the bags :damn angry:)
not the brand of tires :confused2: , they are bought from a fellow riding a 180/55 17 , I will put some pictures

greetings,

hola que tal?
thanks for the welcome. are a SuperTrapp exhaust, removed the washers and I soldered a reduction tube (I filled all the shit and I burned the bags :damn angry:)
not the brand of tires :confused2: , they are bought from a fellow riding a 180/55 17 , I will put some pictures

greetings,

Welcome! Lets see those pics!:eusa_dance:

Hey guys just got my first vmax yesterday... kinda sucks as i live in Minnesota and can't ride it yet but man i am pumped for the first ride! Hope to learn alot from the group!

As a Michigander I share your pain, but once that right day comes when you can take your Max out and let it talk to ya it will be well worth the wait!...............Welcome to the site!

Hey guys just got my first vmax yesterday... kinda sucks as i live in Minnesota and can't ride it yet but man i am pumped for the first ride! Hope to learn alot from the group!

Dude, I feel your pain! I'm in Seattle, got my first max about 4 weeks ago and have only ridden about 25 miles due to rain/snow....

New member here. Just bought a 95 max with 7200k miles on it. In pretty decent shape for what i paid for it. As you can see from the pics, last owner dropped it in his driveway as my father in law came to buy it off him. Anyway, i have already been enjoying the site and Look forward to meeting/riding with some of you guys. (btw tha is a pic of my father in law, not me)

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

New member here. Just bought a 95 max with 7200k miles on it. In pretty decent shape for what i paid for it. As you can see from the pics, last owner dropped it in his driveway as my father in law came to buy it off him. Anyway, i have already been enjoying the site and Look forward to meeting/riding with some of you guys. (btw tha is a pic of my father in law, not me)

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

welcome man! if no ones got spare levers theres cheap ones on ebay, black or carbon fibre for like $15 or $20 for both with shipping:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4684.m570.l1313&_nkw=vmax+levers&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Nice 95. Having the guy selling the bike drop it really sucks but it looks like inexpensive parts luckily...

Welcome to all the new members at VMF.

Chris from South Florida....bought my '85 Max dead stock and not running 4 years ago. Almost every year she goes through a facelift, hope this is it, just back to almost stock.
Got rid of the chrome 1 1/2 years ago...to hard to upkeep.

Last pic of the log cabin we rented up at the tail this past May...I've got the FZ1 in the middle of all those Hondas, SuperHawk, RC51, 954, 919 & 1 speed triple.

Your Forums a big help....thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2722.jpg
    IMG_2722.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 19
Welcome 85vmax, There's a thread going on here about who has the oldest vmax. Check your vin number (last 4 digits) and see where it falls. It's all in fun:eusa_dance:
search "Oldest surviving vmax"

Back