Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craig here from cold snowy Black River, NY. Long time vmax owner and forum browser. I have used the info here numerous times since about 2002 so I decided to officially join. Im on my 3rd max and it will not be the last. Previously owned a 1985 and 1993. The 93 was a rocket ship with a lot of custom work and I kick myself for ever selling it. :bang head: A good friend of mine bought a Gen 2 and it is sick but I still love the original.. Long Live Mr.Max. Thanks for all the great info and tips. Love this place...

Craig here from cold snowy Black River, NY. Long time vmax owner and forum browser. I have used the info here numerous times since about 2002 so I decided to officially join. Im on my 3rd max and it will not be the last. Previously owned a 1985 and 1993. The 93 was a rocket ship with a lot of custom work and I kick myself for ever selling it. :bang head: A good friend of mine bought a Gen 2 and it is sick but I still love the original.. Long Live Mr.Max. Thanks for all the great info and tips. Love this place...

Welcome! Looks like you bought the fastest year gen 1! Good call! :biglaugh:

Hi Craig and welcome to the forum!! :cheers:

hey craig, i see ur from right near fort drum eh?

i went to school at st lawrence and played rugby for the fort drum rangers tons of times. good guys.

we actually had a vmax pizza run to sergi's in canton in september, you'll have to join us next time!

welcome!

HI THERE!!!!!!

I think you are kinda' close by.......

We'll haft'a get together some time......

WELCOME!!!!!!:punk:

Greetings from Greenville, SC! I will be the proud new owner of a 1988 Vmax in about 10 hours or so when she gets delivered from just over the border in Georgia. It's definitely a project bike, missing bits and pieces here and there, but I've wanted one since I was too young to drive. The 1988 would have been "new" the year I turned 16, so it only seemed fitting when I found it on Craigslist nearby. I've been lurking for a long time, trying to learn as much as I can before I start asking stupid questions.

Greetings from Greenville, SC! I will be the proud new owner of a 1988 Vmax in about 10 hours or so when she gets delivered from just over the border in Georgia. It's definitely a project bike, missing bits and pieces here and there, but I've wanted one since I was too young to drive. The 1988 would have been "new" the year I turned 16, so it only seemed fitting when I found it on Craigslist nearby. I've been lurking for a long time, trying to learn as much as I can before I start asking stupid questions.
Welcome from GA. You're only a couple hours away from the GA group based around Atlanta and not as far away at all for trips to the Gap later in the year.

Welcome to the forum. You are only 3 hrs away.. Like Garrett said, You will have to get some pizza on our next run.

Hey guys hows it goin im Kyle and im from MA. I dont have a VMAX yet but i have a couple grand and i realy want to get one. What do you guys think is the best year on a budget to get? I was reading somewhere that the 85's have 145 hp and from 89 on except the newer ones only have around 100hp. If thats true should i just focus on getting an 85 or are there better models in my price range.

Hey guys hows it goin im Kyle and im from MA. I dont have a VMAX yet but i have a couple grand and i realy want to get one. What do you guys think is the best year on a budget to get? I was reading somewhere that the 85's have 145 hp and from 89 on except the newer ones only have around 100hp. If thats true should i just focus on getting an 85 or are there better models in my price range.

hey kyle, welcome. I live in franklin and work in westboro so right around the corner.

all years have the same horsepower and the newer you can get the better, as there were a few upgrades over the years.

i keep my head up about vmax's for sale in the area and i could def help ya find one if you wanted some help.

welcome to the forum!

Please god tell us where you read that... I'd love to give that person a quick kick in the teeth.

Welcome!

The newer you can afford the better. When you say a couple grand do you mean 2 or 4 or 6 or???

Chris

I wouldn't have much faith in a site where they carry the KMH speed out 11 places after the decimal!!! I mean...what's the point? :confused2:

All Gen-1's ('85 - '07) are rated 145 hp at the crankshaft, rearwheel hp around 110 - 115. Same motor all the way through with minor internal changes, but basically the same hp numbers.

Buying a v max is just like buying any other vehicle, the newer the better, older is ok if it was maintained....etc. Mileage doesn't hurt these bikes if it was 'reasonably driven' and max's will easily go 50k - 75k with no problem....many on this forum have well over 100k, some even over 200k!

It's all in how the bike was taken care of. Keep an eye on e bay for an idea of what they will sell for, that'll give you a good idea of what your money will buy.

Ask any questions you have, lots of helpful folks on this site! Welcome! :punk:

for 2000-2500 you'll need to put some work into it. there are some around (within a 150 miles or so) you could probably pick up in the 3300-4000 range that would need minimal work and probably would be better off getting (late 90's for example)

feel free to shoot me an email:

morgan(dot)ga(at)gmail(dot)com

and we'll take a look or if you want some help.

Ignore those other guys - no idea what they're talking about. '85s have TWICE the HP. ;)

Welcome to the site and I hope you are able to find a bike soon!

Noob here. Known as "Chief Gunner" on a few bike related sites. I've been a VMax lover since they were 1st hitting the roads and streets at age 14 (giving away my age).

Anyway I've got an '06 I bought off a guy on craigslist here in San Diego. It had 400 miles on it when I bought it two years ago for $6K cash. I'm right at 20k now and it's getting time for some suspension and performance mods. I've always done most of my own work on my bikes, now I prefer to do it all . Currently have an XR650L and a Husky CR125 in the garage along with my '06. Miss the hell out of my CR500 though, might have to buy it back....

Running my 2nd set of Metzler ME880's (170/80 at the rear) I burnt up 2 sets of Dunlop K525's before I found out the ME880 170 would fit (I did not have to move the washer over) and I'm on my 2nd clutch .....

Here's a pic of my max with her garage buddies in my "man cave". She's stock except for the brakes, the clutch & clear clutch cover, LED turn signals and a few other minor differences.

TheManCave.jpg

Once I have the $ I plan on some mods to really make her scream :punk:

Last edited:
Back