Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just wondering can you check air pressure of your forks on a gen one with a regular tire air guage

Yes you can but it would need to be a very precise gauge that reads very low PSI numbers.

BUT, 99.9% of Vmax riders run NO air in the forks - it really does not help much at all. Much better is to put slightly thicker fork oil in there, or even better get decent springs to replace the originals.

I believe that progressive put out a low psi fork pump. I know I have one since I'm on my 3rd vmax here, but I no longer use it. To be honest, I think I only checked a couple of times and eventually I ended up with progressive front fork springs anyhow which alleviates any need for air.

Ok so new kid on the block. Well sort of, I had an 88 11 years ago (Pictured here) and now I'm buying another. Not sure why I sold the other on, momentary lapse of reason I think.

So Kerker K not an issue I see Morley's has them for sale on the site.
Gonna go with Avon tyres, Dynajet stage 7 also no problem.

Now for the problems.
(1) My old Max ("Merlin") would get the weeblies under load once and awhile start shaking pretty bad actually. Brought back under control with slight front wheel braking. What causes this and how do I fix it?

(2) The front air dam on my old bike, I can't find them. I thought it was a Targa "Dragstar" but they have no knowledge of it.
Has anyone seen them before and if so where?

I quess that's it for now oh I'm actually an old F#rt, and this isn't my first Max.

Attachments

• vmx2.jpg
    vmx2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 21
Ok so new kid on the block. Well sort of, I had an 88 11 years ago (Pictured here) and now I'm buying another. Not sure why I sold the other on, momentary lapse of reason I think.

So Kerker K not an issue I see Morley's has them for sale on the site.
Gonna go with Avon tyres, Dynajet stage 7 also no problem.

Now for the problems.
(1) My old Max ("Merlin") would get the weeblies under load once and awhile start shaking pretty bad actually. Brought back under control with slight front wheel braking. What causes this and how do I fix it?

(2) The front air dam on my old bike, I can't find them. I thought it was a Targa "Dragstar" but they have no knowledge of it.
Has anyone seen them before and if so where?

I quess that's it for now oh I'm actually an old F#rt, and this isn't my first Max.

hey and welcome. my lady went to ithaca college and we're originally from utica (whitesboro) so small world eh?

anyways

(1) the steering head bearings, tire wear need to be checked for that. also check swingarm bearings. there is a yamaha way to do the steering bearings and another 'bounce' test that most of us do here. basically release the top steering head nut and the top tripple clamps then jack the bike off and tighten the steering nuts so that when you let the wheel drop from one side it doesn't 'bounce' of the turn stops. do a search and there is tons of more info.

(2) try fatmax:
http://www.fatmax.com/vmax/vmax.htm

Thanks for the advice on the neck bearings, I'm putting new tyres on it straight away.

I saw the air dam on the fatmax site but the one I had on mine wasn't that curvy looking. I liked the old school square look of the one I had though.

What's the best year/years horsepower wise. I have my eye on another 88.

Moving to Maine in the near future, looking at places on the coast. Nothin like cruising US 1 on a Max. Did so quite a bit on my other one.

Hey MII, welcome from another NY'r ,east of Albany near the Mass border. You're definitely right about cruising US 1 up along the water, 1 A too.

Did you ever find your way over to the Kancamangus Hwy. in NH? Think it's #312 or #112 maybe? That's well worth the effort if you get in the area.

ps Lots of Ol' Geezers on here....some young pups too, but they're all good guys!! :punk:

Hi, another new guy here. I bought a stock 86 off Ebay last November. Managed to get a few rides in before the frozen tundra blanketed eastern Pa. This bike is a hoot. I'm brand new to posting on a forum and don't yet have photo capability. I look forward to meeting other Vmaxers and contributing what I can to this forum. This seems to be a great group. Evan.

Kancamangus Hwy, strange you should mention that. About a week after I bought my other V-Max I ran into a fellow on Kancamangus Hwy riding a customized 85, lowered, painted purple, with that air dam on it. I came home and bought one for mine.

Got matched paint from Color-Rite and painted it to match intake cover and fenders.

Kancamangus Hwy, strange you should mention that. About a week after I bought my other V-Max I ran into a fellow on Kancamangus Hwy riding a customized 85, lowered, painted purple, with that air dam on it. I came home and bought one for mine.

Got matched paint from Color-Rite and painted it to match intake cover and fenders.

Haha! Another 'small world' story. I gotta do the Kancamangus this summer...no matter what!! By far the best stretch of blacktop in the northeast IMO. :punk:

Welcome Putt Putt....yeah, this last 'weather event' sure killed any chance of an early ride....eh?

Welcome to the new folks!!!!!!:clapping:

NY is getting crowded with Vmaxes.......:biglaugh:

whats up guys.. im new to the max thing. had a rocket and decided there not for me. just bought a dark blue 1990 max. did some trading for it and im in it 1900 bucks. sweet bike. Rode my dads 2000 max and had to have one. but i do have the second gear problem and some carb issues. as far as mods to the bike. It has 4to1 exhaust, k&n filter and i would assume jetting of some sort. ull be hearing from me alot. i cant leave anything alone.. have had it four days and nothing is left on the bike besides the motor in and frame ect.. im in to buffing metals and there is alot on a max. so cant wait to get all the info i can.. thanks, chris

whats up guys.. im new to the max thing. had a rocket and decided there not for me. just bought a dark blue 1990 max. did some trading for it and im in it 1900 bucks. sweet bike. Rode my dads 2000 max and had to have one. but i do have the second gear problem and some carb issues. as far as mods to the bike. It has 4to1 exhaust, k&n filter and i would assume jetting of some sort. ull be hearing from me alot. i cant leave anything alone.. have had it four days and nothing is left on the bike besides the motor in and frame ect.. im in to buffing metals and there is alot on a max. so cant wait to get all the info i can.. thanks, chris

Hi....Welcome to the forum:eusa_dance:

Talk to one2dmax on here........ or the Morley's Muscle banner at the top of the page......same guy......about the 2nd gear issue......he can set you up and make it better than new:clapping:

yea definitely pull the tranny and talk to morley about a replacement with his overdrive. everyone that haves it loves it.

Hi there, a new member from Washington State. I have always loved the v max, It looks like around September Ill be looking at getting an 05, So I'm pretty jacked about that

Hi Judgemint,
Just stay here and keep reading. By September You'll know every nook and cranny of the vmax, And the mod monkey will have a very firm grip on you by then. Start saving your money now.

Tim

Back