Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Newbie Here

Just purchased my 07 Vmax on May 7, 2010. Glad to find this site, appears to have a lot of good info.

Welcome to the site!! Judging by the pics a Mod Monkey has been assigned to your bike already, but it is now up to you to satisfy him. Don't believe everything you read here about us, just most of it:rofl_200:

Hello, I just got my first Vmax :eusa_dance:.I flew over to Salt Lake, Utah from New Mexico and purchased a 1985 model. I rode it home (850 miles) and love it. I am needing some help :ummm:, I rode it yesterday and after a short ride I shut it off for about an hour and then it would not start. I tried starting fluid in the carbs but nothing. I left it there over night and the next morning it fired right up. :confused2: Any ideas???

Hello, I just got my first Vmax :eusa_dance:.I flew over to Salt Lake, Utah from New Mexico and purchased a 1985 model. I rode it home (850 miles) and love it. I am needing some help :ummm:, I rode it yesterday and after a short ride I shut it off for about an hour and then it would not start. I tried starting fluid in the carbs but nothing. I left it there over night and the next morning it fired right up. :confused2: Any ideas???

Hi and welcome!

You'll need to be a little more descriptive for us to be able to make some suggestions. When you say it would not start:
- do the lights come on when you switch on?
- do the bulbs look strong or weak?
- can you hear the Vboost valves cycling?
- does it crank when you hit the starter button?
- fast or slow?

If it cranks but won't start when hot, it can be a number of things, one of them being that the starter motor brushes are shot or dirty (full of brush dust). There is a post in here by YukonerDave detailing exactly how to clean this up.
Using the search function you should have no trouble finding it.

Hey everyone, my name is Kenny and I got my first vmax a few weeks ago...for free! It was my uncles, and needs a good amount of work as it has been sitting for 8-10 years, but still turns over. I guess he lost interest in this one a while back, and especially now since he has a 09 vmax to ride instead.

Anyway Ive been using this forum for a couple days and have found a wealth of information, you guys seem to know your stuff. I will be using this site throughout my bike project, so thanks in advance to all of you.

-Kenny

Hello everyone, my name is Tom and I live in wastern Michigan, after 25 years I'm finally getting around to getting a Max for myself, just won a 8000 mile silver 97 on E-bay and will be picking it up tomorrow evening across the state, I'm looking foreward to educating myself and hopefully making a few new friends along the way with this forum, I currently own a V-65 that I've had for a few years and enjoy riding as much as I can..................

Welcome Kenny and Tom! Grab a cup and we'll talk all things Vmax; from working on them, to riding them and all the way on modding them you'll find it here! Take a look around there is lots to read, things to do to your Vmax, great people to meet here and at a event near you!!

Yea, welcome guys! This is the best Vmax resource this side of the sun, you'll have no problem getting answers to any question you may have and getting your Max in tip top riding condition.

Hello everyone, my name is Tom and I live in wastern Michigan, after 25 years I'm finally getting around to getting a Max for myself, just won a 8000 mile silver 97 on E-bay and will be picking it up tomorrow evening across the state, I'm looking foreward to educating myself and hopefully making a few new friends along the way with this forum, I currently own a V-65 that I've had for a few years and enjoy riding as much as I can..................

looks clean! that backrest is worth some good coin!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-Yamaha-V-Max-mint-condition-/260649910218?pt=US_motorcycles

Very nice Vmax, Tom, look forward to seeing it later this month on the Muskegon ride!
Reminds me of when I picked up Redbone, a clean stock Vmax back then. I would like to have a 2nd Max to leave stock just so I could go wild on modding Redbone!

Thanks for the warm welcome fellows!........I'm not sure if this is the proper thread for these questions but there are a few things I need to get taken care of right away, I am a mechanic by trade and like to preform as much maintenance and repairs myself, what repair manual do you recommend? I have a Clymers for the honda and it's very informative, is this good or is there somthing better you have found for the Max? My next question is about which windscreen to purchace, I'm lookin for somthing larger than a flyscreen but not too big either, I would like somthing created for the bike that will work with it's design and not look foolish, Currently I wear a half helment and eye protection when I ride, I need your input and recommendations, if you would like to E-mail some pics to me I would appreciate it, thanks again.............Tom.

Hey guys, Greetings from South Africa!

This forum is like the holy grail of Vmax info, we have a huge cult following of the Max over here, but when it comes to custom & trick mods this is the place to be! I'd like to learn the ropes & soon have the best Max in my town!

My biggest desire is to do a chain drive & a belt drive conversion projects...

Thanks again for the awesome resource!!!

:punk: Rock on!

JP

Hey Guys.
You have probably seen me kicking round the forums already. I recently sold my Suzuki GS for a 1992 Vmax with 13800km on the clock. A mate put me onto them about 12 months ago when he bought a 98 model. Have been addicted ever since!
Am planning a few things for my max including:
R1 USD forks
Frame brace
Drag Bars
Larger fuel tank
Custom paint + shiny bits :D
Morley's seat
Mark's exhaust (4-2) - in the process of arranging now
St 1 Dynojet
Better clutch set up
Clear Covers

My other interest is my 351 Ford XY Falcon. Both are money pits ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Wow, Welcome to the VMF, The Mod Monkey has a tight grip on you already.... Congrats on the low mileage 92 VMax too...

Hey Guys.
You have probably seen me kicking round the forums already. I recently sold my Suzuki GS for a 1992 Vmax with 13800km on the clock. A mate put me onto them about 12 months ago when he bought a 98 model. Have been addicted ever since!
Am planning a few things for my max including:
R1 USD forks
Frame brace
Drag Bars
Larger fuel tank
Custom paint + shiny bits :D
Morley's seat
Mark's exhaust (4-2) - in the process of arranging now
( " St 1 Dynojet " )
Better clutch set up
Clear Covers

Cheers,
Dave

Welcome to our addiction !

Most feel the Stage 1 is a waste of time & money. If more power is your goal , look into Stage 7 or Sean Morleys Muscle Kit to go with the Marks exhaust.

Don't forget guys that we also sell many things not listed on the website! For instance the Clymer manuals!

Of course all of us are here helping each other which is even better then a simple book.

Sean

Welcome to our addiction !

Most feel the Stage 1 is a waste of time & money. If more power is your goal , look into Stage 7 or Sean Morleys Muscle Kit to go with the Marks exhaust.

+1

I tried the Stage 1 Kit and could not get it to tune correctly. I just installed Sean Morley's Muscle Kit, and it's great!! Sean was readily available to get it tuned through e-mail. I highly recommend Sean and his Muscle Kit!!:punk:

Hello! I just got a '91 vmax. Before that I had an 83 hond v45 magna (a 750cc v4). Looks like a great site. Thanks.

Back