Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, new member here! i grew up in the '70s and was a harley dude all the way. back then easyrider magazine would publish articles on how to make meth, and how to hide your stash from cops. as a teen, i thought that was "real biker" stuff. then in high school, i became aware of performance; i remember the vmax coming on the scene. love at first...sight, sound, speed, etc. fast forward 30 years, and i bought a not running, yet highly modded vmax{blackie}.
then the score of a lifetime: i traded a brand new snowblower {$1k at sears} in the beginning of the winter, for a stock '89 vmax {big red} from a neighbor. needs a battery, and carb de-gumming. i shovelled thru 5 BLIZZARDS this year, but it's march! who's laughing now?! i also bought a '78 750/f honda w/8k from the same neighbor for $800. runs n looks very good n original, and i commute daily on it {2k miles, so far}, and it's reliable as any honda. big red now has kosman 17" wheels, hindle pipe, wp shocks, progressive fork springs, frame and fork braces, braided steel lines. blackie came w/all those parts on it, and i switched them all over to big red. now blackie looks stock, except it's running a stage-7 & pipe. {blackie: 1985 vmax w/1997 engine & stage-7 is for sale: $2500,obo}
anyway, i'm glad to know y'all, and i hope you're having as much fun as i am. -vmaxbx.

Hi there my V-Max friends! Happy to be a new member on the Max forum! I remember walking into a Yamaha dealership back in '85 or '86 and seeing the new V-Max...145hp was a mind-boggling number in those days! Finally bought a 2006 a couple of years ago. In spite of it's handling, I can't help but love the beast. There's nothing like the Max. Nothing better to match up against 4 wheels, at least in my town. They all shut up when Max is at the light! :)

I'm a street racer myself, looking foreward to another season of late night antics and crusing with both the 2 and 4 wheel varierty..................Tom.

I joined up a while back, but just got around to posting here (I actually thought I already did but I guess not). I finally purchased my 04 max a couple of months ago after drooling over the damn things since i was about 18, a guy at work had one...he let me ride it once and I was hooked. I have had a couple of Magnas but the Vmax monkey wouldn't leave me alone so I finally bought one. I haven't gotten to ride much as it has been cold here obviously...but every time the temp hits the high 40's I am out there freezing my butt off and hoping for better weather already!! The bike I bought is the matte black/grey with the silver stripes...it seems it is the most popular color for that year as I see tons of them online, so maybe next year I will either get some paint done or talk to Morley's about a swap. Since I have family out that way it will give me a good reason to go see them, and maybe shop for some new skins in person? A different seat is also on my list but I am not sure which one yet...and I want the drivers backrest as two lower back surgeries can make a long ride a bit uncomfortable...I am on the list for one of those! I am sure if I run into any tech issues I will be on here looking for help, and it seems there is no shortage of knowledgeable people on here...

Hi Scratch. I just joined the site too. I have a 99 that I bought new in 2000 and just got a 2009 that I bought used last January. It only had 800 miles on it. I know, I couldn't believe it either. Anyway, there was no way I could part with the original so needless to say my garage is very happy.

I signed up before and can't remember what my name was. So I'm back with a new bike. The last one I had I sold and I decided I couldn't live without another one. I've had probably 20 different bikes in my time, and so far I haven't found a bike that I enjoy more.....I like to refer to it as the harley killer lol. What can I say I'm hooked. The only things I like as much as the vmax would be old 2 stroke 3 wheelers and fighter Jets. That about sums me up. look forward to some lasting friendships. I have a 1986 maroon now with 11,400 original miles. The blue bike is an 85 I used to own and then sold. Just put the three wheeler on cuz it's my favorite.
sedonaandvmax068.jpg

Attachments

• 2011-03-31_08.08.17[1].jpg
    2011-03-31_08.08.17[1].jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 82 fooler 001.JPG
    82 fooler 001.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 13
Awesome 250R! I had an 86 250R back in the day...badass 2 stroker, for sure. I have a 350X now, but my son hit a concrete embankment with it, so its scattered in pieces in the garage waiting for rehab! Welcome to the forum!

Thanx...The only thing that sucks is my old max had a beautiful sounding kerker pipe on man that thing sounded mean. I gotta get mine sounding good without blowing the budget lol

Awesome 250R! I had an 86 250R back in the day...badass 2 stroker, for sure. I have a 350X now, but my son hit a concrete embankment with it, so its scattered in pieces in the garage waiting for rehab! Welcome to the forum!
Ya I love the old bikes i also have an 85 250r but it's going up for sale soon. I can't keep everything lol. Good luck with the 350x (haven't had the chance to own one of those yet).

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rick and I'm a new member to Vmaxforum.net. I live in southeatern Pa and have recently adopted an 86' Vmax in need of a good home from a long time friend. I remember being there when he bought it in 92' from Ray's Yamaha. (I had an XJ1100 at the time). She's been sitting for the last three years and obviously needs some work to get running. Had some idle control problems right before being parked and my buddy was considering just parting it out. I think of this as a sort of Vmax rescue....lol. Came with lot's of potential. Stage 7, Hindle 4/2/1, forward controls, and drag bars, just to name a few.

I've already found A TON of great tips here for tearing down the carbs, wheel removal, and aluminum polishing. Am looking forward to hearing her run on her own very soon!

There's definitely something alluring about these machines and the riding experience they bring. They ALL have it too. Either a bone stock 85' or a tricked out custom. Even some hardcore Harley owners will give the Vmax a nod.

Thanks for listening. Am looking forward to clocking some miles in the near future.

Rick

Last edited:
Hats off to your rescue!.......I hate to see a good Max parted out too, this is the place to be for your Max needs, keep us updated!...........There seems to be a number of PA riders on here, hook up and go riding!

Greetings Fellow VMaxers.

Just joined this month. There is so much great info here! Thank you to those that have posted photos of their projects, and instructions to follow.

I'm in NYC, by way of New Orleans. Having a bike here is no small challenge. I've kicked my share of yellow cabs, that's for sure. Previous bikes were Honda Magna, and Honda Shadow, both in the 1990's.

Look forward to reading more of your posts!

Don

Welcome to your new home... The VMax Forum is much more than just another forum. Soon you'll see, it's an extended family of great people. Most will go way out of their way to lend assistance and moral support... :biglaugh:

Dave

Greetings Fellow VMaxers.

Just joined this month. There is so much great info here! Thank you to those that have posted photos of their projects, and instructions to follow.

I'm in NYC, by way of New Orleans. Having a bike here is no small challenge. I've kicked my share of yellow cabs, that's for sure. Previous bikes were Honda Magna, and Honda Shadow, both in the 1990's.

Look forward to reading more of your posts!

Don

You have bigger balls than me! NO WAY I'd ride IN NYC. :worthy:

Welcome!

Latest posts

Back