Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,
Just posting to say Hi, collected my VMax yesterday, ( my first - been a long time waiting), a 2006 with tribal paint, low miles and as new almost. Becomes a garage brother to my GSX 1400.
Been trying to upload a sig pic (usuccessfully), somebody once told me everything was easier with a mac.....they lied
Cheers
R

Well Im not exactly new here, but just wanted to shout out to all of you and let you know that Im a newbie to the max in most ways, but my cousin had one and from that day forward I always wanted one, so now that I have it Im pretty excited about it. Im from romney,wv and looking for some peeps to ride with too. so let me know

Mac, Gag..... :rofl_200:Welcome to the VMax Forum Gentlemen...

Orlando, you need to make it to our next Tech Day...

Hawaii???? You Lucky Dog. Are you doing a Movie or do you live there? :ummm:

Welcome to the VMax Forum...:biglaugh:

Dave

Hey ... 'sup y'all. :)

This forum has got to be one of the single most comprehensive bike forums I've encountered. I only hope I can add something to it sometime! The Vmax seems to fit "me" so well it's scarey. Odd, different, function before form, and yet another one of Ymaha's wonderful "out there" designs. I'm just so glad to have found such a marriage .. great forum, great bike, great folks. Excellento!

I'm a 50 year old burned out Desert/MX/TT/Flattrack racer ... been riding on the street off and on since 1979.

Currently MAXLESS dang it! On the hunt for a Gen 1.

Let's see ... um, ex-military USAF (1979 1985) Nuclear Security fire team leader, basically babysat 18 megaton TITAN-II warheads during the peak of the Cold War. Ex streetcop in the S/E Los Angeles area during the late 80s/early 90s (got out of that thrillseeking gig after the riots in 92 and my partner was shot and killed. Gettin hairy around here ...time to go! I left friggin SKIDMARKS in 92 and moved to Yuma, Az.). I did the military and streetcop gigs out of my sense of adventure, less so for political convictions. I got a kick out of jumping from a perfectly good C-130 at 20k feet at night and later on pitting myself against armed gang members. :)

(fair warning ... it's a PTSD thing .. I talk about this crud sometimes .... perhaps too much ... as I age it's "louder and louder" in my head .. so fair warning folks ... I'm not quite Cotton Hill, but I may end up that bad some day! HAAHAA!!)

Bragging? Nope. Telling you that there's a good chance that I ain't quite *right*. HAAHAA!! Enough of this nonsense ... now that I got my screwball exmilitary jones out of the way ... :) .. onward to Vmax stuff .. well .. almost ..

Currently building this ...
http://www.ironhorsemotorbikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54

I've been setting up a little shop at home (mig/tig/lathe/mill/more)...
http://www.ironhorsemotorbikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=127

I've raced different stuff since I was about 11. Every bike I ever raced was a Yamaha up to about 1977.

circa 1972. My first bike, a 1971 Yamaha JT-1 Mini Enduro. 60cc rotary valve fun.

IMGP4002.jpg

1989. A 1987 Yamaha Fazer 700cc. We lived in L.A then .. horrible place to ride a streetbike! The insurance costs alone forced the sale of the bike.
Dunes-racing-fazer-1.jpg

1988. A 1987 Yamaha Banshee 350cc. This was in my last desert race, was clocked on radar over 107mph on the dry lake on this quad. This thing ripped!
IMGP4039.jpg

1988? Same quad set up for the dunes. We lived about 15 minutes from Glamis then. We rode in the dunes at least 8 days per month.
IMGP4046.jpg

Nightrace at Tucson Motocross Park, 1974. A 1973 Yamaha 175MX. I was 14, raced this 175 in the 250cc class for nearly three years. This is where I earned the moniker "Holeshot". I was 4'8" and weighed around 90 pounds fully geared! The bike hardly knew I was on it. My dad used to call me "Flea on a missile".
1974-BACKWARDSNIGHT-250BeginnerClassatTucsonMXPark-001.jpg

1981. A 1979 Yamaha TT 500, my first "streetbike".
IMGP1287.jpg

1977. A 1976 Yamaha 100MX Monoshock. I raced this bike at the CanAm Nats, took 4th overall in 1977.
IMGP1283-1.jpg

1974. Oops ... not quite a Yamaha ... one of my handbuilt BMX frames I raced back then.
IMGP1370.jpg

I've not ridden since 1991. Career changes, health issues .... life ... got in the way. I've beeen given clearance by my wife to begin the search for a Gen 1 Vmax.

It begins.

Nice meeting you all. I'll be around with many dumb ideas and questions. Many.

Thanks again .. Brian Cale.

Holeshot.

Last edited:
You've had quite an adventure in life so far Brian!............Welcome to the site, make yourself at home and enjoy!

Cool pics & a good intro, welcome! Where are the XR750 pics?

That looks like a small rear or a large front on the 100MX.

I recall seeing the 250 & 360 YZF's when they had twin shocks & the harness on the gas tank, ridden by Pierre Karsmakers & Tim Hart for Yamaha USA in the aptly-named Yamaha SIlver Cup series in 1973. Supposed to be a lot of titanium on those bikes. Nothing else could stay anywhere near them, they could pull-away at will.

Cool pics & a good intro, welcome! Where are the XR750 pics?

That looks like a small rear or a large front on the 100MX.

I recall seeing the 250 & 360 YZF's when they had twin shocks & the harness on the gas tank, ridden by Pierre Karsmakers & Tim Hart for Yamaha USA in the aptly-named Yamaha SIlver Cup series in 1973. Supposed to be a lot of titanium on those bikes. Nothing else could stay anywhere near them, they could pull-away at will.
Never had kids ... seems to allow for time to do other things. It just sorta went that way for us.

Pics? Dang me! In 2001 we had a fire at our business and among other things I lost 117 trophies and boxes of pics of racing days at Perris Raceway, Adelanto, Indian Dunes, Deadman's Point, and Ascot Park. My dad was Grand National #57 in the mid 1960s, he was connected and knew his way around the works. So getting sponsors and such was cake. He sortof rabbi'd me into flattrack and tt back then. Then we moved from Southern Cali to Tucson and everything went MX and desert. Most of all of the memorabilia was lost in that fire. We now keep what's left in separate relative's homes. Sounds dumb. but it's all we have left of those days. Dad's dead, Ascot's closed. It's like a movie that only showed once and never shown again. It's all just memories at this stage in the game.

The 100MX had an 18x21 setup. That bike was ridiculously fast. I went ~down~ from 250s to 100s when I started getting faster. I just couldn't keep up with the 250's on that 175 when I went to the Expert class. So instead of putting me on a 250 (I was still so little) I was put on a mega-tricked out 100 and unleashed upon the 100cc classes. Good move on my dad's part, I did well in the 100s. Those boots I'm wearing in that wheelie pic of me on the 100 actually have Pierre Karsmakers' name on them! He was doing a lot of product endorsing back then for Yamaha. He was one of my heros! As was Bob Hannah. And heck, I used to race with Carlos Serrano. Well, did a lot of looking at his back end anyhow .. haahaa!

Then we started flatracking again in the late 70's. I got a ride on one of a friend's XR750's for two seasons. We had to build up the short track bike so we used a 250MX Yamaha that was given the "Kenny" treatment. So I had the 250MX for short track and my dad's friend's XR750s for the half mile and TT races (depending on the venue). I'd actually do the changeover in the van on the way to the next race sometimes! Those were different times. My dad's ambitions changed again and the whole thing ended around 1978 I think when we moved to Houston. It's a bit foggy around that era.

Thanks fellas. I'm gathering up info to learn about these Vmax bikes, so hopefully when I pick one up I'll be half-educated on it!

All the best..

Brian ...

Welcome to the site Brian, enjoyed the pictures and posts that brought me back it time a bit! Thanks!
There are a few active guys in the Phoneix area that get together for rides if your ever up that way.

Hi guys:
I'm new to the forum, my name is Hector from kissimmee Fl.
I have a 99 V max
I was into showing and racing cars I do a lot of the work myself.
Always wanted to go back to ridding since my last bike got stolen about 20 years ago.
So I went and bought one .
I'll like to modify it first but I want to get it in top mechanical shape first, so I'm working on it.
Last year I graduated from MMI I took Harley and Yamaha I work in a few dealers here and there but I didn't like it, I have been self employed for a long time and I'm used to do my own thing, so I started working out of my house, so far is good, I stay busy betwwen that and my regular job.
Look forward to share and get some usefull tips with all of you.

Like yourself, most folks here are do it yourselfers too, you will find everything you need concerning your Max right here, info-parts etc.......Welcome to the site and we look foreward to hearing all about your repairs and upgrades!...................................Tom.

Good Day All. Just wanted to say Hi and thanks for all the great advice already given. I bought my 85 Max (vin # 0339 by the way) a few years back. It had around 45,000 kms. (Canadian bike) on it at the time and has just turned 80k. It's still in pretty decent condition and pretty much stock. I've upgaded to R1 front brakes and a 97 R/R. and new stator. Also puchased a Sportmax seat. I'm just waiting for a couple of parts to arrive and hopefully will be back on the road. I also have an 85 750 Maxim X (black) which I use from time to time. It's a 5 valve per cyl. 750 that makes almost 100HP so it's a pretty quick little machine as well. I sold off my CBR 900 RR Fireblade just after I got the Max. and still kinda miss it although it was always tempting me to push my limitations. Fun, fast bike though. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Later,

Ken.

Hello everyone, new guy here. excited to learn a lot from this forum. i own a 2000 VMax. Mods include k and n air filter, stage 1 jet kit, marving dual exhaust, progressive suspension lowered 2 inches, custom covered seat, exactrep forward controls, and LED taillight and signals.

to do list
-drag bars
-bar end mirrors
-black levers
-black grips
:biglaugh:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to "Our" VMax Forum (Meaning Yours Now Too). Seems we keep growing and growing. If we can just keep everybody coming back for more than a few posts we'll have a huge brotherhood. What I've found is that the people of this forum are not just VMaxers, they're great people and there's a potential for lifetime friendships. Seldom can you find so many in one place that can care about more than just what goes on here. Hang around and find out for yourselves...:biglaugh:

Back