Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crash9765: Awesome Bike... Now you've come to the right place.
We'll help you spend all your money to go even faster, and safer...:biglaugh:
Welcome to The VMax Forum.....
Dave in Florida..

picture.php

Hello everybody. I just (June 19th, Fathers day no less) got my second hand-me-down from my dad:th_image003:
The first was a 1982 Virago 750 and now...... A 1985 V-max! Only real downside is that it has 56,000 miles, eek!
Well last spring he was thinking of giving it to me and when he fired it up he had a mini disaster, a carb fire.... :tantrum:
Well, a year later he completely rebuilt the carbs and got it to me.
So the fun starts. Bad battery, hard starting, replaced battery, did crimp fix, bike runs.....
Take it for a ride and it runs ok but some backfiring out of left side only.
Trimmed 3 of the four plug wires, where they go into the coils (all had some green corrosion)(how do you get at the coil for the front right cylinder, the one pointing right?) and it runs smoother, but still backfiring.
The bike also seems to have some intermittent hesitation below ~3500-5000RPM. :scooter 1:
I was thinking any and all of the following could be the issue:
Bad gas (been sitting at dads)
Plugs (gap or fouled)
Wires (Original)
Exhaust leak
Valves out of adjustment
Carbs out of sync
Carbs have a partial jet blockage.

So I was wondering if I should attack this list in any particular order, or is it something else that I should try first.

Any help would be much appreciated.

~Karl

hello guys,
my name is Jerome and I live in France on the west coast.
I bought a vmax of 1988 there is 2 years old. I am very happy but this is not the full power version! So now I install the system vboost but I lack the control unit assy, I'm looking for!
I am very happy to be your forum.:cheers:

jerome

attachment.php
hello guys,
I bought a vmax of 1988 there is 2 years old. I am very happy but this is not the full power version! So now I install the system vboost but I lack the control unit assy, I'm looking for!

jerome

Attachments

• IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 80
hello guys,

jerome

You can buy an aftermarket boost controller here
http://micromachines.ca/vboost_controller.htm

Hey guys...been reading on here for several weeks. Picked up a '98 2 weeks back. Was purchased from a storage unit foreclosure and had troubles titling it in Wisconsin...no issues here in Iowa, so picked it up pretty cheap.

Looks mint, guessing low miles (stored 9 years).

Haven't started it yet. Carbs are out to clean....also noticed a fork seal leak so taking care of that as well. Changing all fluids and battery....hopefully fire it for the first time next week. Plenty of time...cause still have my ZZR1200 for transport...but getting that itch ;)

Love the site...this is my first Max. Been in love with them since I was 17 in '85 at the local dealer.

attachment.php
hello guys,

jerome

interesting bike, looks like the engine is from a '06 or '07....

Hey there! I'm Pete, the new guy here. I moved to South Florida not too long ago.
I currently have a '96, black, Cali model, jetted, Kerker 4-into-1. My first was a '93, "coctail violet", i.e. purple, 49 stater, same configuration, in addition to the steering dampener.
Having a couple of problems with the infamous Hot Start/No Start, and running really hot, all of a sudden. (Just had the beast in the mechanic shop, not sure what they did to it). But it's raining Florida-style, every day anyway :)
Anyway, wanted to say hi!
tm5rto

interesting bike, looks like the engine is from a '06 or '07....

I made some changes, I wanted to paint it black as version 06 ', 07', I kept the fork of the 1988 model and I put the brake calipers for 2003 FZ6 'with disc brakes 1100 virago xv and wider tires.
I also change the starter for a newer model and I put a xenon bulb

Big thanks to BigMo! I'm now the proud owner of a 1994 Vmax with lots of mods. Crazy fast, this bike is like nothing I've ridden before. Glad to be part of the gang now!

howdy all !!

Hey all , new member here ,my name is billy and im addicted to vboost.Ive only owned my stock 85 a few months now but already i can see what all the fuss is about
.I come from a strong mechanical background (20 years in mechanical trade , second generation)and have always had a bike of one kind or another .of course everything paled in comparison with this vmax. Presently the dts are setting in as my forks are off for a well diserved sevicing!! I replaced front wheel bearings and seals and also replaced the STEERING STEM bearings AS THIS IS DEFFINATELY A MUST ON A BIKE THIS AGE,heft and power!! on my model the interference fit on the shaft was way too tight, also the bottom cup was exceptionally tight and not in straight or seated properly ,the top cup bearing journal had previous damage and was not allowing that cup to sit flush either!!!!After an hour of filing and emory both journals on the bike are square enough to prperly seat the bearings .Bearings installed this tight are done before they start !!! any more than a half tho interference and your putting too much squeeze on em .just my two cents worth !! again howdy all ,dont hesitate to say hi , here or in public Billy

hi another new guy here, just got my new tome vmax 1999 was told it was a uk 145 bhp but didnt think it was that quick so found someone to try it out for me and he said its like a 600cc not full power, he thinks its an out of tune 95bhp .
so called yamaha uk and they say its a 138bhp ?.
ps should the back wheel lock up and slide under not that harder braking ? any ideas. oh and yes i did buy the bike with out seeing it oops
should i send it back ?

hi another new guy here, just got my new tome vmax 1999 was told it was a uk 145 bhp but didnt think it was that quick so found someone to try it out for me and he said its like a 600cc not full power, he thinks its an out of tune 95bhp .
so called yamaha uk and they say its a 138bhp ?.
ps should the back wheel lock up and slide under not that harder braking ? any ideas. oh and yes i did buy the bike with out seeing it oops
should i send it back ?

it could be the carbs are gummed up. do you get the vboost noise when you trurn the key on? i'd take some pics of the carbs and intake manifods and we should be able to tell.

the rear wheels do have a tendency to lock up, but not THAT easily.

I think it was mcy journalist John Burns talking about some bike's performance, (and not trying to be blasphemous) when testing it on a road course, "I was going so-fast, stopping so-hard and saw Jesus so-many times that I started using Him for a braking marker!"

Maybe that's how these newbies feel...

it could be the carbs are gummed up. do you get the vboost noise when you trurn the key on? i'd take some pics of the carbs and intake manifods and we should be able to tell.

the rear wheels do have a tendency to lock up, but not THAT easily.

Gamorgo2 thanks for your reply,

Big thanks to BigMo! I'm now the proud owner of a 1994 Vmax with lots of mods. Crazy fast, this bike is like nothing I've ridden before. Glad to be part of the gang now!

Glad you are enjoying the Vmax man. It is a great bike. I really hated to sell it but it was time to move to a tour bike. I ended up with a 2010 Street Glide. It is an amazing bike too... but it dont have the character the Vmax has. Ill get another one to hack on again. They are too much fun.

Back