Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, newbie here as well. I finally bought the 1985 Vmax i have hunted for 10+ yrs. I am kinda of confused though,....there is no vboost linkage or servo. Didnt all Vmaxes come equipped with it? Do i still have the same kind of horse power????

William

All US vmaxes came with vboost. Maybe the previous owner installed a stage 7 jet kit and removed vboost. Its pretty common. Do you have a stock airbox or 4 pod filters? Is there a hose running from the oil fill hole in the clutch cover up to the carbs? If so, that is probably the case.

If you've got a stage 7 kit that is properly jetted and a full, aftermarket exhaust, you should be pushing out more HP than a stock vmax with vboost.

Welcome! You could get rid of the forward controls which would put your feet a little closer to the ground.... Or if you want to make it a trike, I think they make a kit that keeps the rear wheel of the bike. I'm not sure if you could use it on a Vmax, but I have seen them on quite a few other bikes.
Hi Guys and Gals,:new2_ani:
I'm Thylacine from the "land way Down Under", ride a '93 Max set up for cruising, with forward controls , sissy bar and bug screen.
Rides comfortably and suits me.
Getting worried about falling off and scuffing "Max" or myself so looking to
build a trike rear end as a bolt on bolt off unit.
My real concern is the ratio of a differential required to do this and to maintain "Max's" current performance characteristics. The rest is just a design thing and I have plenty of help in that field with some hot rodder mates.
Any suggestions???
Cheers
Thylacine

Thought it was about time i posted, i've been lurking around here since i bought my vmax in february and this site has been a wealth of knowledge. I've been tuning/modifiying cars since i've had a licence, drifting for roughly eight years. Had bikes upto about ten years ago, so decided to save some money, take a break from cars and get another bike.
The vmax came with Devil carbon exhausts, Dymag carbon 17" wheels, after market front mudguard, Barnett clutch, clear clutch cover, alloy water pump cover and a chrome sissy bar. I've replaced the sissy bar with a black powder coated standard grab rail, polished various parts that were corroded, given it a full service replacing all fluids, fitted Progressive 1.5" lower HD rear shocks, shortened sidestand, fitted progressive fork springs/ cleaned them out/ replaced the seals, fitted smaller indicators, carbon scoops, changed the angle of the bars, tried a flyscreen which i've replaced with a larger screen (only fitted for long distance), adjusted the steering bearings... I was determined not to modifiy it and there is more to come:biglaugh:

Cheers for the welcome, the mod monkey has been following me around since i was a kid. I've tuned/modded stuff from my first bicycles, motorbikes, cars. I did buy the vmax with the intention of leaving it alone, but i'm happy in my garage with a spanner in one hand and a beer in the other. Thinking of what can be improved and to make it mine.

ukshane: Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the Mod Monkeys found you already....

Just uploaded a couple of pictures, done a few bits since this was taken.

picture.php

Hi All, new member and have just purchased a 86model VMAX, first ride blew my pants off, damn this thing is quick!! original 22000miles after market rear fender which looks awesome.

Just one issues, the guy I bought it off crashed it at 100m/h close friend so he didnt give me any bull, he said all the out side was wrecked but replaced anything that was broken. First ride and at around 50-70km/h(sorry Im in Australia) it has a sway in it, rocks from left to right. Is this normal? he had the bike for 10 years and said it had always done it. Slower or faster than those speeds seems normal. What should I check or is this just part of the ride for a vmax.

Also best mods I can do? cheapest through to highest.

Any help or chat would be much appreciated

I would give the steer head bearings a good look, do the bounce test and see how loose/tight they are, the fact that the bike was put down hard could mean major issues with the forks, frame, etc.......Are the tires in good shape?...............Tom..............By the way welcome to the site!

Hi there,

Just bought myself a 96 Vmax again. I say "again", because in 2000, I bought my first bike, a '96 Canadian Red Vmax. After 40,000km of riding through the pacific northwest (I might rank up there with the most Vmax miles logged in the rain), I sold it to pay tuition, but not after painting it black, adding stainless frame braces, emulators, a Harlan shift light and a few other changes. That bike never hickup'ed, had no rain-related issues, you name it. Fast forward 11 years and I was bit by the Vmax bug again. My new-to-me max is also a 96, which, as you can imagine makes it a bit nostalgic for me. Not to mention with the bike being produced from 1985-2007, mine is smack dead in the middle of that production run with 11 years on each side :)

I'm 6'4 so I don't remember it feeling so small, and it'll take a bit of adjustment to make it fit me again. It has a UFO lower seat which I might look to raise an inch, and the bike has been lowered front and back which I'm not sure I like yet. The selling point though was 17inch wheels front and back! Radials!!!

Nice to come across this forum and the 'catching up' has been interesting. A lot more wheel options, and some interesting new mods like COPS and LED tail lights to consider.

I'm curious... any other tall Vmax riders here?

Welcome to the site lugan!..............There's a number of Mi riders who get together regularly, you're not that far away, maybe we'll run across you sometime.......................Tom.

Lugan:

I am relatively new to the forum and my 88 VMX but have the same cramped feelings on the bike. I am 6'2" 230 lbs. I haven't made any tweaks yet, but am think about:

- Different bars that have a little less sweep, and a bit wider.
- A taller saddle that also goes back a little further. Not sure how that would work with the fuel tank.
- Move the pegs forward slightly and drop them a bit too. I may have to make them a little narrower as well. Obviously tweak to the shifted and brake pedal may be in order.

I have done this to several of my dirt bikes, but this will be my first venture into ergonimics for a street bike.

I do have a question about the control levers. Is anyone aware of any replacement levers where you can adjust the "stop"? That is using a set screw to provide a stop for the lever to rest against when it is not engaged.

Thanks again!!!

Welcome, first you might want to see about forward controls as far as the seat goes There's a couple different options. There's a guy username "twistedmax" he makes a custom seat that he could probably make to fit you, it's called the Maxgasser then there's Sean Morleys seat called a Muscle seat. Theres also a Corbin seat but have heard their not very comfortable. Sean Morley username " one2dmax " or Kyle username "CaptainKyle" these guys have alot of items to mod your bike with depending on what your looking to do. There's also UFO. They have some pretty unique stuff for the Max too. You came to the right place. This place is a treasure trove of info for ANYTHING you will ever need. Hope this helps, Ed✨

Thanks for the welcome gents! I went through some old photos and came across this one of my 1st '96, in black. The photo was taken just outside of Whistler, BC in 2003 I think. You can see my stainless frame braces, polished and clear powder-coated scoops, fender extender (function over form!), switches above the scoop (yellow for the headlight cut off relay, green for Tboost, red for heated grips), and some HD highway pegs :) Loved those HD highway pegs. I also see how much higher my re-contoured seat was than my new-to-me lowered seat '96. I'll try to post that one below.
P8030376.jpg

And my new '96 Vmax on the night I picked it up. Walked out of the gas station to find my GF about to take it for a spin.. yikes!
IMG_20111028_192209.jpg

And last night after a good wash.
IMG_20111102_204300.jpg

i think those are rc components? might be wrong the solid look is definitely different on a max!

Get your GF some boots , and I trust your helmets were just out of the picture. Safety first , enjoy the ride. Nice looking Max. ( & G.F. ). Take care of them both.

Thanks guys. I had a chance to comb through the receipts and the solid 17 inch wheels are from UFO, along with the fork brace, seat, tail-light, and lowering work. I like the solid look, but might research options to have them machined into a 6,5, or 3 spoke design to shed some of that unsprung weight (any ideas on who can do that??). Aside from some carburetion issues to clean up, the bike performs well. An included dyno record shows 124hp & 77ftlbs a few years ago... Nice huh?

As for my GF, she drove the car home from picking up the bike, and I agree 100% with the need for proper gear! She recently completed her MC license course and test and has some good armored boots, pants, jacket, brain bucket etc. Plus a nice little GS500F. I'm definitely an 'all gear all the time' AGATT guy. Not worth sinking money time & passion into this hobby/ sport without putting some attention into self-preservation.:stickyman:

i'm sure sean could help you out, but also i'd talk to kosman.

Thanks for the welcome gents! I went through some old photos and came across this one of my 1st '96, in black. The photo was taken just outside of Whistler, BC in 2003 I think. You can see my stainless frame braces, polished and clear powder-coated scoops, fender extender (function over form!), switches above the scoop (yellow for the headlight cut off relay, green for Tboost, red for heated grips), and some HD highway pegs :) Loved those HD highway pegs. I also see how much higher my re-contoured seat was than my new-to-me lowered seat '96. I'll try to post that one below.
P8030376.jpg

And my new '96 Vmax on the night I picked it up. Walked out of the gas station to find my GF about to take it for a spin.. yikes!
IMG_20111028_192209.jpg

And last night after a good wash.
IMG_20111102_204300.jpg

welcome man, nice bike and pics. did you go on a road trip to BC or thats where you bought it?

also, who knows who's rear rotor that is on the red pic! i wanted to find the brand!

Latest posts

Back