Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same problem with mine when I first got it. after much reading and research, I found that in most cases it is the v-boost controller at fault. it is located behind the left scoop. Simply remove the box, open it up, and heat the solder were each wire connects to the circuit board with a soldering iron. Simple as that. Welcome to the forum!

Joe Bar has some REALLY nice pieces for our beloved Vmax!! I would highly recommend his parts!! I ordered a set of frame Infills off eBay from him then told him he needed to join here if he loves Vmax's so WELCOME STEVE,

Hi everyone. Just picked up my Vmax and am working on getting her safetied and street ready. Found her on Kijiji and after a 46 hour marathon drive, three provinces, and being pulled over twice, I have her home and almost ready for riding season.
I was riding a GT 750 rat cafe for the last 12 years, but got tired of hitching back to Winnipeg to get a trailer over the last couple of years so it was time for a change in the line up. Having wanted something more reliable I bought a Suzuki s83 last year, but it proved a little too tame. I pawned that off on the wife (she was riding a 600 shadow) and went for a Max.
I've had her out on a temp permit a few times already and am mucho impressed after wackin the crap out of my buddy on his 696 Duck in the straights. Can't wait to get some serious miles on her.
The only thing left on the safety inspection is getting the front rim straightened or finding a replacement. If anyone has a rim in Manitoba, please get a hold of me, or if anyone can tell me what a direct interchange fits, I would go that way too.
Keep the shiny side up.

Hi everyone. Just picked up my Vmax and am working on getting her safetied and street ready. Found her on Kijiji and after a 46 hour marathon drive, three provinces, and being pulled over twice, I have her home and almost ready for riding season.
I was riding a GT 750 rat cafe for the last 12 years, but got tired of hitching back to Winnipeg to get a trailer over the last couple of years so it was time for a change in the line up. Having wanted something more reliable I bought a Suzuki s83 last year, but it proved a little too tame. I pawned that off on the wife (she was riding a 600 shadow) and went for a Max.
I've had her out on a temp permit a few times already and am mucho impressed after wackin the crap out of my buddy on his 696 Duck in the straights. Can't wait to get some serious miles on her.
The only thing left on the safety inspection is getting the front rim straightened or finding a replacement. If anyone has a rim in Manitoba, please get a hold of me, or if anyone can tell me what a direct interchange fits, I would go that way too.
Keep the shiny side up.
Welcome to the site! If you cannot locate a rim locally I would contact Sean Morley (one2dmax on here) or Kyle (captainkyle on here) as they probably will have one for ya.

Didnt spend much time here til I got an OEM backrest for my 05, and wanted to sell off the HAC. Since then I've almost bought lotsa stuff, made some upgrades, and did pick up some forward controls. Ricor intiminators, launch/shift light (I figured out that the speed sensor wire works for triggering the launch function on the Raptor product) and a few other goodies. Glad the guy I bought it from had already done the Kerker and jet kit and dyno tune. I lust after a maxgasser seat. Ah mod monkey, you are a fickle beast. Now to get back to the studebakers...

Howdy from Wyoming!!

Hi everyone,

Just call me Kent, easier that way. I bought a 99 VMAX, modded to the hilt. Custom paint, stage 7 jets. poorly taken care of though. Bummer. I already socked about 2 grand into the thing just standard maintenance stuff. I am looking forward to all of your inputs. Been out of the bike world for years now, but jumping in with both feet. Served 20 years in the Air Force the buggers broke my back and then the VA put me out to pasture on morphine. I got off that stuff by myself. Finally have my life back and plan on living the rest on a bike. I hope you all ride safe and as close to the speed as sound as you can get!!

Anyone know a good place to get a new seat for my '88 Max? The seams are coming apart on my old one. Thanks.

Jeff

Bought my first Max last summer from my Step Father. We were leaving for a ride and my Suzuki decided it didnt want to go ( had a minor tire problem, the front one seperated after 2500 miles). So I took the Max and fell in love at the first twist of the throttle. I made an offer on it at the frist gas stop and have been enjoying it ever since. That weekend we rode 1800 miles and I was smiling the entire time, I have put almost 7500 miles on it since then, and still grinnin. I am very impressed with the VMax community. I have worked in the Motorcycle industry for over a decade (Mostly Harleys) and have yet to find a more helpful, generous, and no BS group of people! I look forward to riding/ modifying this bike for the next lifetime (not in the habit of selling bikes, just buying them. I curently have 11 all makes and models).

Hoping to meet more VMax riders in my area. I have only seen one other Max on the street since I aquired this one.

Welcome FastTwinAL to the forum. I can not speak for your area but around here I do see a few but they seem to get going to the other way. It is like they hiding most of the time.

Hey guys, I just posted about my quest for a Vmax. Hopefully a 2005 model. Just a couple of rookie questions. Don't make fun of me. I have owned many cruisers, 3 Harleys and others. I am 61 yrs old. Good shape physically and (I think) mentally. Am I going to be intimidated by this machine? I have read some warnings about this bike. Does it take a lot of getting used to? Any info for a newbie would be appreciated. Thanks, Don

Welcome Don!
I've had my 05 for about a year and a half now and for the 25 years before that owned and rode Harleys. I always wanted a V Max and I told the wife I was going to get one before I got too damn old to enjoy it.:rofl_200: Just get used to the extra power and hang on for the ride of your life brother.:biglaugh:
Mike

PS-I knew that 05 for $3900 sounded too good to be true. I've been seeing them between 6-7k and sometimes more.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just posted about my quest for a Vmax. Hopefully a 2005 model. Just a couple of rookie questions. Don't make fun of me. I have owned many cruisers, 3 Harleys and others. I am 61 yrs old. Good shape physically and (I think) mentally. Am I going to be intimidated by this machine? I have read some warnings about this bike. Does it take a lot of getting used to? Any info for a newbie would be appreciated. Thanks, Don

Welcome to our addiction Don. I'm 65 and also in good physical and mental condition ( some would disagree lol ) . This is probably like no cruiser you have ever ridden. ( What is the baddest cruiser you have ridden ? ) Stock it will give you a big thrill when you hit the VBoost at 6K rpm . It can also be upgraded depending on how much more thrill you want . We have a Maxxer on the site with over 200 h.p. , all motor , no turbo, supercharger or n.o.s. So take it easy at first and ease into the throttle on a straight road ( interstate maybe ? ) , and test the VBoost with no traffic around you and plenty of empty lanes around if needed . Leave the VBoost alone when in the turns until you really know the bike. Remember it's older tech when it comes to handling as the frame flexes quite a bit , and the suspension & braking can be upgraded if needed later . Ask us how we know . Watch out for the Mod - Monkey!

Welcome, Don.
I am a bit younger than the other fellas who posted above, but older than a lot of my co workers and buddies I ride with. I second everything they said about performance and handling.
I get a lot of looks and comments from sport and cruiser riders alike.
Like they said, keep it stock and you will get countless smiles and thrills from a V-Max. Crack open that can of mods and the sky is the limit.

Thx guys. I looked at a 2007. 9000 miles. He wanted $7000 but it needs new tires and new battery. No test drives. I passed. He said he did all the maintenance himself, so no records. I know its scary letting a stranger ride your bike, (I actually had one stolen on a test ride), but I can't see shelling out several thousand dollars without doing so. The search continues.
p.s. I found a low mileage 2005 in Cal., so not too far. Secretary was taking calls for the owner. I told her I was a buyer ($6000) and to have owner call me. I called her back 3 times and she said he was going to call. Still no response, and they have relisted the ad a couple more times. Unbelievable.

Welcome to the bruthahood. So not only do you have biking experience on me, but also wisdom. The Max was/is my first motorcycle. So, I'm sure a lot of what I'm gonna say is "preaching to the chor". So "intimidated"? well sure if you only look at the numbers. Common sense should dictate your maiden voyage. I was given a chance to ride around on a couple of a buddy's cruisers and the difference is obvious. Not trying to criticize them or put them down, but just trying to explain the difference with the following: I was told by my buddy that his cruiser was fast, so I got it on the street and WHACKED it in first. Well, it felt like I was driving in molasses, so I upshifted into second and WHACKED it--blub blub. Dude, after driving my Max for almost a couple years now, driving my buddy's "screaming eagle, stage 1, yada yada yada" has told me that cruisers ain't where I'm gonna find it. There is something about sitting upright fighting the Gs while holding on such that your deathgrip doesn't twist the throttle any more. LOL.

When you get on the Max for the first time, like with all other bikes, sit in the driveway, or wherever, and first slowly find where the clutch engages. After getting a hankering for the clutch, THEN (and only then) start twisting the throttle. BUT BY ABSOLUTELY NO MEANS feel the urge to twist the throttle as you are accustomed to doing with a cruiser. Uh Uh, Non, Niet, Oya, Nda, Iya, NO!. 1/4 throttle is enough to toss a rookie on the ground. ask me how i know. Ease into it. You'll be fighting 6k Gs before sunset.

Good luck

Welcome to the bruthahood. So not only do you have biking experience on me, but also wisdom. The Max was/is my first motorcycle. So, I'm sure a lot of what I'm gonna say is "preaching to the chor". So "intimidated"? well sure if you only look at the numbers. Common sense should dictate your maiden voyage. I was given a chance to ride around on a couple of a buddy's cruisers and the difference is obvious. Not trying to criticize them or put them down, but just trying to explain the difference with the following: I was told by my buddy that his cruiser was fast, so I got it on the street and WHACKED it in first. Well, it felt like I was driving in molasses, so I upshifted into second and WHACKED it--blub blub. Dude, after driving my Max for almost a couple years now, driving my buddy's "screaming eagle, stage 1, yada yada yada" has told me that cruisers ain't where I'm gonna find it. There is something about sitting upright fighting the Gs while holding on such that your deathgrip doesn't twist the throttle any more. LOL.

When you get on the Max for the first time, like with all other bikes, sit in the driveway, or wherever, and first slowly find where the clutch engages. After getting a hankering for the clutch, THEN (and only then) start twisting the throttle. BUT BY ABSOLUTELY NO MEANS feel the urge to twist the throttle as you are accustomed to doing with a cruiser. Uh Uh, Non, Niet, Oya, Nda, Iya, NO!. 1/4 throttle is enough to toss a rookie on the ground. ask me how i know. Ease into it. You'll be fighting 6k Gs before sunset.

Good luck

LOL. Thanks, but don't know if it helps ease my mind on the intimidation question. I am a pretty conservative rider, so I do not anticipate a problem. Just wondering about the v boost engaging while in a curve or corner.

LOL. Thanks, but don't know if it helps ease my mind on the intimidation question. I am a pretty conservative rider, so I do not anticipate a problem. Just wondering about the v boost engaging while in a curve or corner.

That will only happen if you want it to. Vboost comes on around 6000 rpm, so you would have to be "getting it" for that to happen. It took me a few days to get into the Vboost. It had plenty of power below 6000, so the vboost was a bonus.

The Max can be very easy to manage and handle if ridden carefully, you don't need much throttle to putz around town or even merge onto the Xway for that matter, there is loads of low end torque to get you moving and keep you there, if you have spent time on a mid size street bike you should not have any problem with this one, but......like has been stated before, you start getting aggressive with the throttle and the game changes!........My advice is take it easy for a while and get the feel of things, then when your ready find a quiet place where you can roll into it in 3rd gear and take it up past 6000.........Be ready and hang on!............:punk:..................Report back your findings!....................Tom.

In the begining being a conservative rider will be good, but the first time you feel the vboost it will get your attention. After some time goes by you'll wonder where the vboost went but it will still be there, you'll just be used to it by then.
Being smooth with the throttle, rolling it on and off smoothly will pay off - one of my biggest "moments" was just after I got my DD clutch and I chopped the throttle going into a fast corner. Let me tell you that I didn't do that anymore! It upset my turn in and I thought I had screwed the pooch but was able to wrestle it back enough to make the corner, barely!:bang head:
This is a big and heavy bike that likes to go straight and to remember that will take you a long ways with a Vmax. :thumbs up:

Latest posts

Back