Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess I had better introduce myself since I have been asking you guys for advice for a few days... Been riding motorcycles since the day I got my drivers licence and mc endorsement in 1977. We took my Yamaha 175 to the DMV in my grandfathers trunk... When they handed me my licence, I was free :punk: Since then I have owned probably 20 bikes... dirt, crotch rocket,Cruiser, Harley Davidson, anyway back in 1985 my riding buddy bought one of the first vmax to hit the northwest. To say the least it was the baddest ass bike on the planet... At the time I had a GPZ 750 that I loved.. but the max kinda scared me... lol. Now that im 50... sigh... I decided that I needed a toy for the summer, and came across an '06 with almost no miles on it. I've had it for 36 hours now... and I really dig this bike... Its kinda like cruising around town in a big block Chevelle :clapping: My Harleys didnt make me this happy... My "05 FZ1 didnt make me this happy... tires and pipes are on the way... it really needs to be much louder :biglaugh: Anyway thank you for answering all my questions... as im to lazy to search the forums...lol. but hey thats why we are here, to talk about crap right? See you on the road...

D.
Bend Oregon

Welcome to the VMF, the other dman. :rofl_200:
And you're right the Grin Factor is extremely high on a VMax !!!
I've owned mine for 11 years now and I still get a S*** Eating Grin eveytime I whack the Throttle open on it. :D

Yeah... I tapped into the Vboost this morning for the first time since 1985 when I hammered my buddies... It was HOLY SH$$T time....:clapping:

Hi there,:eusa_dance:
new member on this V-Max forum and stationed in Amersfoort (The Netherlands)
http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=Amersf...=amersfoort&hnear=Amersfoort,+Utrecht&t=m&z=7

I'm not yet a owner of a V-Max but this will not take that long anymore!
Just intrested in a V-max type 1 for Hobby and updating.
Have seen already some fab bikes here on this site and very good information and tips and links for all sorts of parts and installations.
Was wondering f there are any other members from The Netherlands her on this site.
My previous bikes are:
Suzuki GS550
Suzuki 750EF
Kawasaki GPZ1000RX280.jpg
Kawasaki GPZ1000RX
FJR1300

Hope to enjoy this further Forum and have good contacts with members....
Carpe Diem
Arlon

Glad too be here, I have owned my Max for awhile now, but just getting into afew mods right now, Thanks for any future help.

Just found my Max! 2005 #105 out of 2000. only 5000+ miles. Pretty stock. backrest and new tires. With tax came to $6500. Maybe could have found a local deal and saved some money, but I couldn't wait. Any Phoenix area riders out there?

Just found my Max! 2005 #105 out of 2000. only 5000+ miles. Pretty stock. backrest and new tires. With tax came to $6500. Maybe could have found a local deal and saved some money, but I couldn't wait. Any Phoenix area riders out there?

140585d1251321162-animated20dancer20congrats.gif

Well, better late than never. I have been on here for a little while now. I picked up a 1985 max a few weeks ago, probably been at least a month or so. Had to do a bit of maintenance since it had been sitting for about 23 years. Well, more like 19 then the 2nd owner had it for 4 but only rode 1100 miles...I consider that sitting. Had to clean the carbs/rebuild and sync then it was time to clean out the nasty tank. Got her running good now though. Had to do some mods along the way already. The bars were bent so in came some UFO drag bars, new grips (D3's), and now I have some new mirrors on their way (Tomok billlets off of eBay). This is my first Max and have wanted one for a long time!

hello all from missouri...first vmax.
i always wanted one and found one already modded somewhat.
now i am spending my days un moding it. it has no turn signals, a home made fender eliminator, jet kit, k&n, v-boost switch, 4 into one header and pipe. already remodded the fender back on and the plate and the brake light
the bike is scary fast, it would have smoked my r1

hello all from missouri...first vmax.
i always wanted one and found one already modded somewhat.
now i am spending my days un moding it. it has no turn signals, a home made fender eliminator, jet kit, k&n, v-boost switch, 4 into one header and pipe. already remodded the fender back on and the plate and the brake light
the bike is scary fast, it would have smoked my r1

Hi thetank and welcome to the forum. you definitely made the right choice in buying a vmax. Now the fun beings!!! Welcome to the brotherhood....

I am a new member. I will be 27 next month and the vmax will be my first motorcycle. My first pick was a 2011 thunderbird storm but then i discovered the vmax. A battle was waged and the vmax one.

I am currently scanning every for sale ad I can find, waiting to pull the trigger.

Like the first post of this thread I too was surprised to find a relative lack of information on this motorcycle by simple google searches. I appreciate this forum's existence and I am excited to be a part of it. I will let you guys know when I get the bike. My motorcycle classes start June 21st and I would like to find one before then.

Can't wait to start riding and making weekend camping trips with the vmax. Hell yeah.:auto182:

I am a new member. I will be 27 next month and the vmax will be my first motorcycle. My first pick was a 2011 thunderbird storm but then i discovered the vmax. A battle was waged and the vmax one.

I am currently scanning every for sale ad I can find, waiting to pull the trigger.

Like the first post of this thread I too was surprised to find a relative lack of information on this motorcycle by simple google searches. I appreciate this forum's existence and I am excited to be a part of it. I will let you guys know when I get the bike. My motorcycle classes start June 21st and I would like to find one before then.

Can't wait to start riding and making weekend camping trips with the vmax. Hell yeah.:auto182:

ok, i'm not saying that the vmax is a poor choice for a "first motorcycle". on the contrary. if you exercise common sense, this will be the best thing that ever happened to you. being cocky and sporting an ego will only land you in the hospital and the bike being sold for parts. JUST heed my advice. the motorcycle classes will more than like have you learning on 250s, which are very forgiving in comparison to 1200s. i speak from experience. i'll hunt down my story post as well as others and provide a links later because there are others here that can attest to the lack luster results due to their underestimation. the vmax is a torque monster, so don't think those fat twists on the learners translate the same on the vmax.

when you get your max, have it delivered to your house so that you don't feel pressured to learn how to drive the beast quickly. you're gonna be filled with adrenaline and excitement. you won't be able to focus because you'll be distracted by what would normally be trivial things. dude don't take this personally, but being "young, dumb and full of cum" doesn't mix well with this bike when it is your first. if you hop on thinking that you are indestructible and know-it-all, the Max will learn you proper, tossing you off and ending up in a puddle of fuel.

also, i highly recommend you take someone experienced along to test drive it. don't test drive it yourself else you will be buying scrap metal. ask the forum how we know.

at your residence, don't rush it. SLOWLY and i mean SLOWLY learn where the clutch engages. once you are confident, slowly let the max pull you WITHOUT any gas. once you are competent with this skill, SLOWLY and i mean SLOWLY twist the throttle. scoot around your street in first, stopping and going. DO NOT feel pressured to twist that throttle any more than 1/8 of the travel. once you feel confident, with this get the rpms up to like 3k and shift into 2nd. DO NOT go over 4k. Do this for the entire weekend. When the sun sets on Sunday, park the bike. you are done until the next weekend. Dude if you thought you were gonna drive this to work and show it off, wipe it out of your head because learning to drive is one thing. learning to drive in traffic is another.

Take baby steps. And exercise common sense.

NOW this is important, DO NOT get your Max into the 6k + rpm range until you have mastered straight lines, stopping, cornering, etc. I'm sorry, but I took the MSF course (required in FL), and it ain't shit. I imagine that your course work won't be any more indepth. Anyways at 6k+ be prepared to hold on for dear life because that's when the VMax starts telling you who is boss. Research the Max. Do your homework. I don't think you researched hard enough, because there is plenty of information on the Net.
http://bit.ly/JmWXJF
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1985-yamaha-v-max.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_V-Max_and_VMAX

Browse through this forum, plenty of stuff, too.

I would rather make you think twice, scare you, or whatever it takes, for you to understand what you are getting yourself into. The VMax ain't your Mama's cruiser. And, true, I don't know you from Adam, and I apologize if any of my comments were "out of bounds", but I couldn't sleep if I didn't counsel you with my experience.

Oh ya, Welcome to the forum. Joining the forum was by far the best thing you could have done. The guys here are simply the best. Friendly and FULL of knowledge. You will not find a better place to find the amount of information here as well as the level of the braintrust.

GOOD LUCK. You're gonna love the Max.

Ninja, I appreciate your sincere reply. Please believe that what you said has been meditated on for an exhausting amount of hours.

I respect the vmax and every other motorcycle and I am no show off or some arrogant squid rat. I enjoy riding and adventures and I am naturally drawn to the incredible engineering aspects of this bike. You guys know John Reed? I am 6'2" with some size and I really did not want to start with anything smaller than a 750cc.

My conclusion was:

Get a sport bike and Learn to ride while building skill and confidence then sell the bike when ready to move up. A sport bike would probably me more forgiving with handling, weigh a little less, easier and faster to understand control.

Get a vmax and spend the first day just admiring it in the garage. On day 3 or 4 I might start it. Maybe a week later I will take the kickstand off and balance the bike with my own two feet, giggle, put the kickstand back down, throw the cover back over, turn the light off, and run back inside. giggling like i got away with something fantastical.

Anyways, my point is I will take it slow. I have spent the majority of this last week researching this bike and everything related to it from the time I get home from work til I go to bed. I respect the motorcycle and I won't approach it with anything except for honesty and admiration.

I really like the blacked out look of the 96' model. My budget can take my as high as a 99'-01' model if it's a good price.
96_yamaha_vmax_4500_moorhead_mn_8075053.jpg

Hi bought myself a 99, previous owner did lots to it except take care of it. One thing after another is happening to it. Sigh! Sure learning a lot. I don't mind learning in fact fun, but sure expensive. I'm grateful for this forum. Thanks

Hi there,:eusa_dance:
new member on this V-Max forum and stationed in Amersfoort (The Netherlands)
http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=Amersf...=amersfoort&hnear=Amersfoort,+Utrecht&t=m&z=7

Hi! I`m from Flanders (Belgium, while it still lasts...)

Being from the Netherlands & in search of a Gen1 VMax, you should DEFINITELY contact Cees Cornwall

http://members.chello.nl/c.cornwall/Home.html

He is THE VMax Guru of the lowlands, he`ll probably be able to fix you up with one, and if not, he will surely be able to fix the one you bought (rest assured it WILL have issues)

Have dealt with him, 100% reliable all-round good egg

David

New member here! Well new to posting at least, been browsing the site for a month or so but thought I would try and get involved a bit more. Get forum! Only thing is that I get new ideas everyday after visiting. Thanks to everyone that has helped me out so far and doesn't even know it! What a collection of information!

Eric

Attachments

• 85max.jpg
    85max.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 85vmax.jpg
    85vmax.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 7
  • toyz.jpg
    toyz.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 7
Hello all -
After years of wishing and dreaming....I finally purchased a 2001 Vmax! I love this bike! I will also admit that I am amused when I tell someone that I have a Vmax they are either clueless and pretend to understand what it is or they say "oh wow! now THAT is a beast!".
Beth-San Diego, CA

New guy from Minnesota. New to this forum, but not forums in general.
I have had a 93 for years and was part of a yahoo v-max group at one time where I had many discussions. I don't know if that group even exists any more.

Anyway... I've done numerous things to the bike including fork brace, stage 3 kit, open exhaust and intake, t-boost, lowered... The usual...

Am on here today to particularly find which stator wire to cut for my shifter interrupter to get my solenoid shifter project to work better...

Thanks!

Back