Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone, I just bought a beautiful 90 Vmax off eBay. It has been painted yellow and black by previous owner but it was done very well and looks awesome. So far the only mods it has (that I have found anyways) are K&N pods and modded stock exhaust. This is definately not my first bike but is my first Vmax so I'm sure there will be plenty of questions coming later. I like what I have seen of the forum so far and look forward to reading and learning more about this awesome motorcycle.

Here's a pic of my new toy

null-3.jpg

Hello, Retired here finally, and got my New 1997 Yamaha Max back from the shop, just clicked 2k miles over on it and the enging is finally loosening up a bit and producing serious power! yep you heard right been in gerage since it was bought new!, runs like new, but I am thinking some new tires, done all other matinance myself and now ready to ride, Anyone near Knoxville Tn?

New here too and saying HI! Just got my 93' MrMax this year and just loving it. Haven't owned a bike for near 10 years. Started on a Honda CM400 then up'd to an old Honda CB650, was pretty quick but no MAX! Have around 20k miles clocked between those 2.

Been wanting a VMAX for years and finally was in a position to get one and found a great deal on this 93' Only 17k miles when I got it and garage kept. It's 100% stock at this time but I am working on making it better, more comfortable, and putting many miles on it. Already have around 1,200 miles and only had it a month :D

Here's a pic of my baby!
VMX-Core_zps48df6d42.jpg

Howdy folks! Needed to replace my 1980 GS450L and saw a modded '94 VMax at the store that looked like something Mad Max would ride, and just had to have it ;-) Now I need some help keeping it running ;-) I'll try to post a pic sometime.

Hello, Retired here finally, and got my New 1997 Yamaha Max back from the shop, just clicked 2k miles over on it and the enging is finally loosening up a bit and producing serious power! yep you heard right been in gerage since it was bought new!, runs like new, but I am thinking some new tires, done all other matinance myself and now ready to ride, Anyone near Knoxville Tn?

Dam bought it new and just stuffed it in the garage?! Wish I had that money bahahahaha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome ! I don't live up there but seem to make it that way about twice a year visiting family.

Hello, I am the newest of the Noobies as of this moment. I just purchased a new to me 97.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/3897367154.html

I don't understand exactly what I have. No exhaust leaks that I can hear or tell. I "think" it has what I read as the "Stage Seven" Mod. 4 K&N Independent carb air filters. Old KerKer 4 into 1. And I "think" jetting, but no way to know for shore. Plus, the VBoost is suppose to be on all the time??? All I know is it is LOUD and Beastly sounding. Can't wait to ride it. I am going to do Race Tech cartridge emulators with straight rate springs. And Progressive 412s that I already ordered and have one the way.

Someone else told me about a "UFO" fork brace. Makes Sense. There are Shinko Tires on the Rear.

As for me. I have a V65 fully dialed in, and now want to have an equally nice VMAX that can handle smooth as silk and run like mach 2 when I want. I believe in the "Red Line a Day, Keeps the repair away.." Lol

Hope to get to know you all,
Jack

Hello, I am the newest of the Noobies as of this moment. I just purchased a new to me 97.

I don't understand exactly what I have. No exhaust leaks that I can hear or tell. I "think" it has what I read as the "Stage Seven" Mod. 4 K&N Independent carb air filters. Old KerKer 4 into 1. And I "think" jetting, but no way to know for shore. Plus, the VBoost is suppose to be on all the time??? All I know is it is LOUD and Beastly sounding. Can't wait to ride it. I am going to do Race Tech cartridge emulators with straight rate springs. And Progressive 412s that I already ordered and have one the way.

Someone else told me about a "UFO" fork brace. Makes Sense. There are Shinko Tires on the Rear.

As for me. I have a V65 fully dialed in, and now want to have an equally nice VMAX that can handle smooth as silk and run like mach 2 when I want. I believe in the "Red Line a Day, Keeps the repair away.." Lol

Jack

Welcome!! You will find all the information you need on this sight to make your max what you want it to be. Thats a pritty decent price there! Did you make sure no 2nd gear problems?

Matt

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jack
Nice, Welcome Aboard !!!
Glad to see you got a VMax, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
And there are plenty of VMaxers up your way that I'm sure will be happy to help if you have any issues with it.

howdy again!
im another newbie here, ive posted a few times..
I have another random question.
Ive had my 98 now for 4 months, love it to death, high miles and all...(about 36000).
I cant find a definitive answer to what kinda HP this thing is supposed to make...when it was new of coarse. Ive read everything from 98HP to 113HP to 140....What was the factory HP supposed to be on a '98 1200?

howdy again!
im another newbie here, ive posted a few times..
I have another random question.
Ive had my 98 now for 4 months, love it to death, high miles and all...(about 36000).
I cant find a definitive answer to what kinda HP this thing is supposed to make...when it was new of coarse. Ive read everything from 98HP to 113HP to 140....What was the factory HP supposed to be on a '98 1200?

My buddy is a dynojet mechanic. He let's me pull HP anytime I want. Most first gen VMAX are suppost to do between 100 and 120. Then think 105 to 110 is the average pull I have seen with most stock VMAX. In the dyno jet computer there is a file for every different map that he has ever done. So, I looked at about 10 or 11 different maps, and the average of STOCKers was 105. Now, modified, whole different story. Big numbers, depending on the modification(s).

Keep in mind, just in case you are not aware. The HP that most people refer to is the number at the block, NOT at the rear wheel. At the end of the day, I find that my bike lacks no power. My dyno butt...the way it feels to my arse....tells me that this is one of the most powerful bikes I've ever ridden. And I come from a superbike background, too.

VMAX is the best bike, and disagree, I will fight you. j/king...lol.

Jack

I think there's a few that would have your back on THE VMAX BEING THE BEST !! NO JOKING

Ya know, I used to think my V65 used to be the King of the Jungle. But the first time, I cracked my VMAX WOT, it reared up on it's hind legs (literally rear shocks lowered down), and the bike CATAPULTED into fast FAST. Then, I said, no way...this has got to be "new bike euphoria." So, I go to my hometown's old airport road (which is 2 miles of good, straight asphalt). Anyways, I know what one second is. And compared to my V65, which I can say, "One Mis-A-Sippi" for each 10 mph of acceleration. Now, when I tried this dead balls accurate test on my MAX, I start by hitting the whip/throttle, then before I get to One Mis......the bike is 10 miles per faster. Then, on the upper end, there ain't no freaking way, anyone can be counting or singing Cum Bai Yah. It's 100 penies out of a dollar of TOTAL FOCUS on the proverbial "hole." That dotted painted line becomes blur city as does the right hand road side view. And, before you know it, I am thinking of how much space I will need to slow down because there is quiclkly not enough road left.

Now, here's the "good" problem to have. This bike is not really set up to rock on residential streets. Even on the highway, it takes a lot of mind over matter to keep your wits, meaning it's wicked easy to pass any moving vehicle out there. There's is where the V65 has a one up. The V65 is not as fast, but is a smooth as silk cruiser when you are rock around the block. Or, my MAX may need some new final tuning. Not sure yet?

Anyways, my 3 decades of biking are now top with my vote for the VMAX as the best bike EVER.

Jackster

My dyno butt...the way it feels to my arse....tells me that this is one of the most powerful bikes I've ever ridden. And I come from a superbike background, too.

VMAX is the best bike, and disagree, I will fight you. j/king...lol.

Jack

It's all about the power delivery. There's plenty of bikes bigger better and faster on the road these days. The butt dyno would beg to differ because they don't deliver quite the way a Max does though. They're putting down all that torque in a 7-9k range and are comparably tame until then, but by that point on a V-Max your arms are already tired from hanging on.

The all the torque in all the gears and all the time delivery is what makes a Max so much fun to kick around. It gives the ride some serious attitude and that's the big appeal. If you're looking to compare that kind of delivery to a sport bike you can take a look at the the ZRX1200, but beyond that you're looking towards the heaviest of the heavy hitters only.

Ya know, I used to think my V65 used to be the King of the Jungle. But the first time, I cracked my VMAX WOT, it reared up on it's hind legs (literally rear shocks lowered down), and the bike CATAPULTED into fast FAST. Then, I said, no way...this has got to be "new bike euphoria." So, I go to my hometown's old airport road (which is 2 miles of good, straight asphalt). Anyways, I know what one second is. And compared to my V65, which I can say, "One Mis-A-Sippi" for each 10 mph of acceleration. Now, when I tried this dead balls accurate test on my MAX, I start by hitting the whip/throttle, then before I get to One Mis......the bike is 10 miles per faster. Then, on the upper end, there ain't no freaking way, anyone can be counting or singing Cum Bai Yah. It's 100 penies out of a dollar of TOTAL FOCUS on the proverbial "hole." That dotted painted line becomes blur city as does the right hand road side view. And, before you know it, I am thinking of how much space I will need to slow down because there is quiclkly not enough road left.

Now, here's the "good" problem to have. This bike is not really set up to rock on residential streets. Even on the highway, it takes a lot of mind over matter to keep your wits, meaning it's wicked easy to pass any moving vehicle out there. There's is where the V65 has a one up. The V65 is not as fast, but is a smooth as silk cruiser when you are rock around the block. Or, my MAX may need some new final tuning. Not sure yet?

Anyways, my 3 decades of biking are now top with my vote for the VMAX as the best bike EVER.

Jackster

welcome! few of us in MA. i'm down in franklin. i assume your buddy is Rob of Rob's Dyno?

Back