Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned 40 this past March and just picked up a clean 2002 Max in the Carbon, mostly stock but with the Kerker 4-2-1 race pipe and big mouth can. She's been sitting more than running and I'm now the 3rd and rightful owner.....

I started riding at 7. Been on 2, 3, and 4 wheels offroad, jetskis (the REAL ones, LoL), and then the street. I began trackdays on a Ninja at Pocono back in the late 90's, began roadracing in 2004 and turned expert in 2007.

My last build was a 2006 Ducati Sport Classic named ThunderDuc(Google it :) ) that made it's way into Feb. 2009 Motorcyclist Magazine, thanks to Aaron Frank.

Now divorced, trackdays and racing over, I picked up a clean 98 Bandit 1200 with Holeshot system this summer. Love it, when by myself-but longed for a comfy mid-controlled cruiser with balls and style- to ride my son and the occasional lady on.....enter my long standing Vmax addiction, and now-dream come true.

Former Marine and Soldier, Corrections and Law enforcement, and I sold cycles for a top East coast dealer for 10yrs, then another for 2(both Yamaha too :) ).

Looking forward to learning from all of the experience on here. I plan to perform subtle mods over time, but am not going crazy with her.

Ride on:punk:

- Chris

Attachments

• Bern-20131006-00705.jpg
    Bern-20131006-00705.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 36
Welcome Chris!........This is the place to be for all things V-Max!...........Nice looking bike for sure........................Tom.........................BTW........Dollarland want's their basket back........:biglaugh:

Hit me up when you get together next time would love to hang out.

Hi scuff and welcome I live 10min. from tom the beekeeper near 28 th street looking forward to meeting and riding with you. Should be nice Saturday for a ride.

G'day from Perth Western Australia.

I picked up what is my 3rd V-max. My first was new in 94, the second a 96 that I bought in 2001 and now a very nice 88. I must say after several years of other bikes, it's nice to be back in the saddle of the mighty Max.
I never thought I'd buy a 25 year old model but this one was just too nice to pass on. It has front forks from a 99 on it and R-1 brakes including a few other mods not to mention the additional changes to come.
I'm looking forward to the exchange of helpful info and whatever else is to come.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Attachments

• 20130915_140626.jpg
    20130915_140626.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 22
Hello from Cleveland,

I have had a lot of bikes in my years, and have always loved the look of the 1200 V-max. I picked up a nice 2000 example yesterday which is stock except for progressive springs in the front, and a windshield. I love the ergonomics, and the seating position. I was one big smile on the hour ride home from where I picked her up! Look forward to learning from all of you guys with years of experience with this beautiful bike...

--MKurup

Attachments

• IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 9
Hello all, names Jim! New to the forum and the VMax in general. I though I would kill two birds with one stone and use this to not only introduce myself but to also ask you all a few questions I have. So please bare with me if I ask too much and I apologize if this post is in the wrong area of the forum.

To begin, I'm 23 and love bikes of all kinds. I've owned a few different styles in my short time of riding but I've been riding since my dad and I restored his El Tigre when I was 6. From there it was a 1977 XR75. I still own both bikes.

I have had a few street bikes and just recently sold my sport bike and I'm now looking to buy a max. My dad has a Harley 883/1200 that I have been riding for a few months. He got the bike as a payment for rent money but he prefers his 1970 Bonneville he's had since he was 16. After riding the Harley for a few months I have fallen in love with cruisers, just not so much Harleys. My buddy has always like the VMax and after I saw one from the first time I did too but I always thought I was too small ( 5'6) to ride one. After riding the Harley few a bit I know that isnt true as the Vmax isnt much heavier than the Harley but obviously a lot faster.

That all being said, I have two bikes that I'm looking at. One is a 1996 VMax with 16k miles and some aftermakert bolt ons such as progressive shocks, custom cut seat, engine guards and a few other for $3,700. The second bike I actually haven't seen in person yet because the seller seems to have a busy work life. Its a 2002 with 8,500 miles and all stock for $4,800. I'm trying to wait until Spring to really decide on a bike in the the hopes that I can see a few before I make the decision on which to buy. But being in PA the max is pretty rare unless I drive 3 hours for a 1993 with 38k miles. High miles dont scare me but if i can avoid it why not? What do you guys think? Sorry for the randomness of all this and all the jumping from one topic to another. I just have a lot to ask and I hope its in the ride location on the forum. Anyways, I hope you guys can give me so insight as to what I should look for.

Hello all, names Jim! New to the forum and the VMax in general. I though I would kill two birds with one stone and use this to not only introduce myself but to also ask you all a few questions I have. So please bare with me if I ask too much and I apologize if this post is in the wrong area of the forum.

To begin, I'm 23 and love bikes of all kinds. I've owned a few different styles in my short time of riding but I've been riding since my dad and I restored his El Tigre when I was 6. From there it was a 1977 XR75. I still own both bikes.

I have had a few street bikes and just recently sold my sport bike and I'm now looking to buy a max. My dad has a Harley 883/1200 that I have been riding for a few months. He got the bike as a payment for rent money but he prefers his 1970 Bonneville he's had since he was 16. After riding the Harley for a few months I have fallen in love with cruisers, just not so much Harleys. My buddy has always like the VMax and after I saw one from the first time I did too but I always thought I was too small ( 5'6) to ride one. After riding the Harley few a bit I know that isnt true as the Vmax isnt much heavier than the Harley but obviously a lot faster.

That all being said, I have two bikes that I'm looking at. One is a 1996 VMax with 16k miles and some aftermakert bolt ons such as progressive shocks, custom cut seat, engine guards and a few other for $3,700. The second bike I actually haven't seen in person yet because the seller seems to have a busy work life. Its a 2002 with 8,500 miles and all stock for $4,800. I'm trying to wait until Spring to really decide on a bike in the the hopes that I can see a few before I make the decision on which to buy. But being in PA the max is pretty rare unless I drive 3 hours for a 1993 with 38k miles. High miles dont scare me but if i can avoid it why not? What do you guys think? Sorry for the randomness of all this and all the jumping from one topic to another. I just have a lot to ask and I hope its in the ride location on the forum. Anyways, I hope you guys can give me so insight as to what I should look for.

welcome and test ride both. watch out for 2nd gear, take some pics and we can give you some insight!

This one will give you and idea on typical costs for a used vmax
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19807&highlight=purchase+price

What to look for when buying a vmax
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=20518

New owner FAQ's
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240

Good morning fellow junkies, new member here. Spent a fair share of the day yesterday in the garage. I acquired a 86 max last weekend, and im already hooked. I went into this knowing it was a project bike, as it was not running. Previous owner said he lost his riding buddy to the sport and it has sat in his garage for a little over a year. Pulled the tank yesterday and shotgunned the carbs, gonna change all the fluids and see what we got. I'm happy to be a new member and looking forward to meeting you all.

Welcome aboard to the new members! These forums are a treasure trove of VMax knowledge!

Welcome petec, Your in the right place for a project Vmax. You won't come across anything on your bike, that you won't find help and answers to. This place rocks:punk::punk:

Hello from Arizona, land of the 10 month riding season! I've wanted a Vmax since high school and finally scored one a couple weeks ago. I was in the market for a bigger bike, one that could carry Mrs Gumby and I for more than just across town for breakfast. Ended up trading my 83 E21 BMW for one that a local had but rarely rode since his shoulder surgery. From what he was told by the guy he got it from, it's been bored, head works done, reground cams, stage 7 with vboost eliminator manifolds and a Kerker 4-1 exhaust. I've looked down the spark plug holes with a bore scope and couldn't find any legible sizing marks but it appears that the "EX" markings are in a different location than the stock pistons but that doesn't mean much. Hopefully I can get it dynoed soon to see what kind of numbers it's putting down. I do know that downshifting is pretty much unnecessary! After I sell my CB350f cafe bike, I'll be taking care of a few odds and ends like getting the suspension sorted (rides like shit but really hooks) a windscreen, backrest for the wife and better bars with bar end mirrors. A buddy of mine has a carb flow tool and I'll be tackling that later this week as well as COP conversion and getting the cooling fan issue dealt with. Eventually I'll pull the motor to detail and paint (likely will pop a valve cover and measure the cams), repaint the plastics and polish some aluminum bits here and there.
Cheers!
6eva8e4y.jpg

Thanks guys, it's definitely a 10 footer. Runs like a raped ape though, the torque this thing puts out is absurd I have yet to go full throttle for the sake of causing a disturbance in Earth's rotation!

Latest posts

Back