Bag of rocks starting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
Hey guys

Been a while! (I've been riding too much, haven't been on the forum)

So I'm getting the horrible gravelly sound when I start her cold and she doesn't fire right away. My understanding is that this is usually symptomatic of a cracked starter clutch. Thing is, I just replaced the starter clutch with a good used one (came from Morley, so I'm confident in it) in the Spring. So, I'm wondering if there could be a different issue causing the same awful noise. My other thought, and this is more likely, is that I screwed something up during the install of the starter clutch, and its now wrecked again. Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone has a starter clutch for sale, and you know it to be in excellent condition, shoot me a PM. Thanks!

It may not be cracked, it could just be loose. Mine had the "bag of rocks" noise time to time and all three bolts were just loose. It would frequently "miss" when cold, the starter would spin but it wouldn't catch the crank.

Removed them, cleaned the oil off, applied red loc-tite, and re-assembled. No more noise. Sometimes in cold weather it may still miss every so often, I took it apart again and nothing was loose, perfect as I had left it, so I can only assume it's not a perfect system. Maybe it's the oil I use, I don't know. I've found that if I hold the throttle just off idle when cranking, it never misses though.

Dave, if it's not just loose bolts get with me and we'll work something out.

Sean

i'm curious if anyone else but ryan's starter 'slips' sometimes. only in the cold for me too. no noises aside from that...

mine did it to me one time. cold engine. i immediately let off... and hit the button again and it started right up

and btw dave. i was wondering where youve been. i was about to start a thread search party

Back