Basic Exhaust Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fzmax

Reaction score
Long story short, I’ve been riding for over 30 years and never had or wanted a loud bike. In fact I’ve never even had a bike with an aftermarket can, including the four Vmaxes I’ve owned. That said, I’ve been looking at systems for my 98. Before I dive into this I was wondering what kind of weight savings I could expect and with the correct jetting and a full system what kind of power increase can I hope to gain?

25-30 pounds lost and dyno numbers in the 120s seem to be normal.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Or you can use Supertrapp slip-ons with 5 or 6 discs to lose that same 25-30 lbs., keep all the stock power with out having to rejet and only be a bit louder than the stock pipes.

This is a good video of a Vmax with Supertrapps with 7 discs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w_LpXVgsc8

They sound good without being too loud with 5-7 discs and closed caps.
With open caps they are a lot louder.

Well a stock Vax is 105-115 hp on average. With an aftermarket full exhaust.....120-125 hp is normal. It does have to be tuned.....you just can't slap it together.....but there are a lot of people on the forum that can help with that.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

OK, thanks. If I can lose 20 pounds and gain a solid 10 HP that should be good for maybe three tenths in the quarter? Assuming I can make use of that weight loss and power gain. Sounds worth the expense and the added noise.

My major apprehension for the noise is I'd rather not attract attention, especially from LEO's, but those Superttraps make some nice music (thanks DMAN). I like Dale Walker's system from an aesthetic standpoint, but not sure how they stack up for performance, weight, cost or longevity.

I'll do some more research, but I'd sure appreciate any opinions, pictures or videos. Thanks

NO SLIPON will give a gain in power. You will need a full system to do that.

I installed a full UFO 4/1 after having a Kerker 4/1, Jardine slip-ons, and of course the stock exhaust. I also have a Mark's 4/1 w/a custom can which I have never run.

To my ear, i like the Kerker 4/1 for sound, for power, but don't like the cutting of your centerstand. The UFO Dragstar 4/1 doesn't sound as good to me as the Kerker 4/1, and that is a very subjective matter. What you like may be horrible to me.

The Jardines as slip-ons are very nice in appearance, as are Supertrapp stainless steel slip-ons. Sean Morley said it, "no extra power from slip-ons," but your signature exhaust note is 'different' from stock.

Voodoo is supposed to be very similar to the UFO 4/1, is it the same? The debate carries on.

I made a canister to tone down my UFO 4/1 which doesn't appeal to the "less is more" aesthetic, as the can is long. But I was able to jet for the performance of the full exhaust, and I ended up not having to re-jet once I was done. Yes, it's large, but I can rap it on w/o alerting every LEO within a half-mile earshot of what my right wrist is doing. The trade-off of appearance for 'stealth' on sound output is worth it for me.

Look at your options, search the threads, and make your informed decision.

A start for your reading: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=31804&highlight=frankencanister

Latest posts

Back