Best way to bed/seat new brake pads

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
I've never done anything special when I've done previous brake jobs, But is there a "best way" to bed them?:ummm:

I don't know if it matters.

What I generally try to do is use firm brakes from about 60 down to 15mph, and then speed up and repeat, quite a few times.
What I'm trying to do is rip into the pads a little bit, but not too much at once so the surface doesn't glaze, and build up even heat through the pad and rotor whhile they settle a little.

I don't know if it does anything though!

Don't brake hard if possible on the first 100 miles. Let them smooth down and seat properly for full efficiency afterwards.

Don't brake hard if possible on the first 100 miles. Let them smooth down and seat properly for full efficiency afterwards.

not doubting you but heard the exact opposite. after ensuring functionality run them up to 30 then down to 10, then 40 down to 10-20, 50 -20, whatever you can do, like a half dozen times, braking hard.

When they are new they come with thin film that needs to ware off so the braking abilities are not at 100%. The rotor also may have streaks from the last pads used and those need to blend in with the new pads... The first miles are supposed to be for that...

I didn't mention it in the first post, but the rotors are new also.

Wash rotors with warm, soapy water. Then quick brake moderately hard a couple of times from 35 mph to seat pads. Done.

I've always tried to not brake too hard for the first 60-100 miles when renewing pads, regardless of new or old rotors.

It's always worked right for me.

I don't know if it matters.

What I generally try to do is use firm brakes from about 60 down to 15mph, and then speed up and repeat, quite a few times.
What I'm trying to do is rip into the pads a little bit, but not too much at once so the surface doesn't glaze, and build up even heat through the pad and rotor whhile they settle a little.

I don't know if it does anything though!

There's me getting MPH and KPH confuddled. :bang head:
Normally I get it right. Try more like 40 down to 10.

Wash rotors with warm, soapy water. Then quick brake moderately hard a couple of times from 35 mph to seat pads. Done.

+1 on seating the pads this way. I usually clean my rotors before installing new pads. My OEM's needed scotch brite to get them clean last time. I started saving for new rotors at that point. Checking rotors for minimum thickness is important when doing a pad change too.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Back