1st Gen V-Max My 2003 Vmax 1200

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrape

Supporting Member
Reaction score
VMax Year
2003 Vmax 1200
Ok, here goes. I purchased the bike this month and it has 78K miles on the clock. I will tell you what I know about it. The body kit came from Germany and it was painted locally. The seat was reupholstered with a gel layer added. The carbs and forks were recently cleaned and or rebuilt. The tires and gel battery are new and all of this was done by the previous owner. I changed the rear brake pads and replaced the brake and clutch fluid with Yamalube, flushed and replaced coolant with Yamalube, changed motor oil and filter with Yamalube, changed final drive oil with Yamalube, replaced the spark plugs, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned and oiled the existing K&N air filter and added Pro Grips with bar ends. I run non ethanol gas as did the previous owner.

The bike runs strong with no issues and I just love it! Best bike I have ever owned and the fastest. What can I say, it's a Vmax and I have always wanted one so end of story. I may to do some other things to it but this is what I have now. Here are some pics of the bike presently.

Attachments

• Vmax 2.jpg
    Vmax 2.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Vmax 10.jpg
    Vmax 10.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 9.jpg
    Vmax 9.jpg
    772.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 8.jpg
    Vmax 8.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 7.jpg
    Vmax 7.jpg
    738.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 6.jpg
    Vmax 6.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 5.jpg
    Vmax 5.jpg
    805.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 4.jpg
    Vmax 4.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 3.jpg
    Vmax 3.jpg
    760 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 1.jpg
    Vmax 1.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 0
Added pics

Attachments

• Vmax 11.jpg
    Vmax 11.jpg
    815 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 13.jpg
    Vmax 13.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 14.jpg
    Vmax 14.jpg
    886.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 15.jpg
    Vmax 15.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 16.jpg
    Vmax 16.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Vmax 17.jpg
    Vmax 17.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 0
A good looking bike. Can't go wrong with OEM liquids in it.

Check out the exactrep website (from the U.K.) and compare your pieces to what they sell. The headlight is often criticized for not being very good, something you may wish to compare to a 7" replacement w/a halogen or LED illumination. I think you will find your body kit is what exactrep sells.

A good looking bike. Can't go wrong with OEM liquids in it.

Check out the exactrep website (from the U.K.) and compare your pieces to what they sell. The headlight is often criticized for not being very good, something you may wish to compare to a 7" replacement w/a halogen or LED illumination. I think you will find your body kit is what exactrep sells.
Here's the link for body parts, if anyone is interested.

http://exactrep.com/acatalog/bodywork-p1.html
I must have some older versions with some parts but it looks like the previous owner was mistaken about them coming from Germany. Have to give the credit to the Brits

Thanks Modaguy818! Bikes are always a work in progress and enjoy your Vmax also. Hope you get yours sorted and the staff/members here are amazing. They put me to shame with their knowlege and I am grateful for the support they generously give.

I added red hi temp engine enamel between the engine fins last night. One more thing off the list!

Attachments

• Max.jpg
    Max.jpg
    902 KB · Views: 0
  • Red.jpg
    Red.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 0
Are you going to do the same to the middle groove on the valve covers?

You could always try a piece of Di-Noc tape and see if you like it. Easy to remove if you don't like the appearance.

I was also thinking of going back old school with the round headlight and bucket from possibly a V-Rod. You mentioned it to another member in another thread. I put one on my old Kawasaki ZRX from a Yamaha XJ. It deleted the mini fairing and square headlight from it and turned out looking great

Last edited:
I consider the OEM headlamp inadequate for the speeds the VMax can do.

Plenty of threads on different headlights, and yes, the VRod's is one choice people who have made it, think is worth the $.

Back