Better than cobra?s

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbmike

Reaction score
Here?s the question:
I want something that that looks and sounds like the Cobra mufflers but is a bit louder and makes as much or more power than a stock system. Does it exist?

It seems to me the next closest thing is the UFO street pro or quadzilla system. I like the looks and sound and I think the power gain is also impressive. However, I?ve heard that this is the loudest exhaust system you can put on a Vmax. Is this true? The cobras seemed loud standing still but when ridding the bike with the wind whipping in my ears I wished there were a bit louder. However, I don?t want the bike so loud that I have to wear ear plugs or get into trouble with the law. I haven?t had any trouble with the cobras here in Buffalo so far. So for those of you that have the UFO system were you unhappy and felt that it was too loud? Is the UFO system loud all the time or only when on the throttle? Is there another system that I don?t know about? I don?t like the look of the can style muffler so there are out.

I have the UFO street pro installed and they are LOUD!!! I can't compare it to the Cobra mufflers tho...
My bike is in pieces right now and I just installed the UFO system so all I've been able to do is listen at idle, but it's near impossible to have a conversation standing next to the bike while it's running. I won't know how loud it is on the road for a few more weeks yet...
Hope that helps a little.

Better than cobra’s

I don't have the UFO but I've ridden with people that have them. They're stupid loud. Think straight headers...

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

I have the UFO header and I dont think it is that loud just cruising but is very loud at wide open throttle

Cobras look good but don't make extra power. Are you looking for a slip - on style ( adjustable - Supertrapps ) or full exhaust system ( headers - bigger pipe - Kerker , Marks , UFO , Holeshot , etc. ) ?

Open headers are quite loud so if that's the case I think it might be too loud. I know the Cobras don't make power. It seemed to me that they actually picked up a bit of low end torque but lost top end hp. I'd probably be happy with the cobras if I could get the power level back up to stock if that's possible. I havn't done anything with the carbs yet but the bike seems to run well, seems a bit rich when cold though.

I wouldn't mind a slip on or full exhaust system if I could find something that looks and sounds similar to the cobras. I guess that's why I was considering the UFO system but if it's really that loud. Anyone here from Buffalo with the UFO system? I don't seem many Vmaxes in this area. It seems that everyone makes can style mufflers which personally I don't like the look of on this bike. Just wondering what my other options are.

Open headers are quite loud so if that's the case I think it might be too loud. I know the Cobras don't make power. It seemed to me that they actually picked up a bit of low end torque but lost top end hp. I'd probably be happy with the cobras if I could get the power level back up to stock if that's possible. I havn't done anything with the carbs yet but the bike seems to run well, seems a bit rich when cold though.

I wouldn't mind a slip on or full exhaust system if I could find something that looks and sounds similar to the cobras. I guess that's why I was considering the UFO system but if it's really that loud. Anyone here from Buffalo with the UFO system? I don't seem many Vmaxes in this area. It seems that everyone makes can style mufflers which personally I don't like the look of on this bike. Just wondering what my other options are.

The cobras are a nice set of pipes, but you definately will loose HP. I had them and was at 98hp on my first vmax.....sad to say your going to loose for this setup even with rejetting and a K&N filter. Now UFO, you better read up on this guy. He is a very shady character to deal with from what I've heard. Very untrustworthy as I have read on here in several instances. Also his customer support is lacking too. I know his pipes are all over ebay, but from what I read those pipes your looking for are obnoxiously loud and you better check your riding areas noise ordinances since you might ruffle up the local police's ticket pad. I myself run the supertrapp slip ons with open endcaps and love them. Loud and loads of power, but its a different look ofcourse. Supertrapps are the best bang for your buck for noise and power for a slip on class.

Just my 2 cents.......

+1 on the supertrapps , had 'em on the '98 prior to the kerker 4-1 . You like black ?

Attachments

• DSC00087.jpg
    DSC00087.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 55
So what is the stock rear wheel hp for this bike? I always hear people say that it will be around 95 hp at the wheel with the cobras but what is it stock? Just curious how much loss there is. Has anyone been able to get back to stock hp number by rejetting etc?

I've seen the supertraps, just don't care for the look personally.

I know it's a while off but the VMOA Spring Icebreaker that's going to be held in Port Dover, Ontario the second weekend in June has a great cross section of Vmax exhaust systems. Plus it's a great time with fellow Vmaxers. Only about 80 miles from Buffalo:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...8397,-80.392456&spn=2.099956,4.235229&t=h&z=8

Better than cobra’s

I'm with Redbone... Go listen to them. Marks and Kerker give great power and are much less painful to your ears. If you like loud, then heck ya! Buy the UFO pipes.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

UFO's are great, if you don't have to listen to them. After being behind Headknocker for a while last summer, I was getting a headache, until I had a chance to get around him. Just make sure you are jetted right.

+1 for supertrapps with open caps. it sounds like v-8 muscle car. power +2-3 hp from stock. stock motor with stock exhaust is about 117 hp. cobras is the worst exhaust you can install on the V-max. Sean have some used good setups if you are interested which you will gain some serious hp (Kerker)? in a good price and you will be sure for customer support.

id go with the kerker 4to1 k-series they will give you more hp and if you have a good mech. he should be able to keep your vboost after installing your stage 7 jet kit from dynojet. my mech did my friends max and hes gettin 130 hp. and all i need are the airfilters and mine goes to my mech for the same upgrade

Redbone is right....the Ice Breaker in Pt. Dover will let you see and hear all sorts of exhausts. Pictures don't do justice to the looks. Sound clips aren't very good for judging either.

Last year there were at least 2 bikes with the UFO 4-1 system. Kerker, Hindle, HMF all there. Come on up. It's just a short ride.

I host the Niagara ride every fall as well. We go right past the Peace Bridge. Surprised you didn't hear us!:punk:

Dale #2592

That VMOA ice breaker sounds like a good time. Do I need to be a member to go? What was the date & time of the event? I?d like to go.

I like the look of those sidewinders, nice looking pipes. I found one sound clip of them on youtube. I guess they sound decent but it?s always hard to tell on the videos since different cameras will make the bike sound different. Does anyone have any more info on them or know about hp gains? I did a search on the exhaust forum but it doesn?t appear that anyone here is running them. It looks as though they have a cross over built in which should help with the power but it?s hard to tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsvhnXBat1c

I also found these pipes. They are made by Fokker and apparently were sold by Yamaha as a factory upgrade. I think they look great and have a built in crossover and they claim a 12.6 hp gain over stock. Judging by the video I think they are on the quiet side. You?ll also notice that when viewing these pipes from the side they appear to be misaligned which is kind of unsightly. They are slip ons and the price is outrageous. $1700 If it weren?t for the price tag I may have considered buying these.

http://www.cmsnl.com/products/yamaha-v-max1200-stainless_103401/

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=13032

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DHIXqYuOlM

Back