Big potential problem...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adambweird

Reaction score
So in the course of tearing things apart for winter service, I discoverd a leak in my garage roof as my air box had water in it when I took it off and the breather line definately had water go down it as it looks like gray jelly in there. I haven't had a chance to drain the oil yet but was wondering how bad of an issue this could be and what the best course of action will be.

The oil pan will be coming off soon to upgrade the oiler so ill have a better idea of things then. Gotta say, this one makes me a bit nervous, lol.

I would drain the oil, the water will come out first as it's heavier than the oil in there, when was the last time the engine was ran?.......

A little unclear on how the water got past the faux cover and airbox lid.....or did you have them off? The gray goo in the breather line is probably just normal crankcase moisture. If your not sure, it's probably best (and cheapest) to change the oil and filter.

Think I'd drain the catch pan oil into a clear plastic or glass jug to see if there actually was any water in the base....if water ran into the base it would just drop to the bottom, not form the grey goo stuff....believe that's normal, seen it on the inside of lots of valve covers.

Quite possible your biggest problem here is the hole in the garage roof....hope so.

I had the top cover off and i have a Morely style airbox lid. Guess i ju.st got lucky that the leak was right over my bike, lol. Per the beekeepers question, bike hasent ran in about 3 weeks now, shes in dry dock for the winter

Hopefully the drain in the airbox did the job and let the fluid run out the bottom anyway.

Think I'd drain the catch pan oil into a clear plastic or glass jug to see if there actually was any water in the base....if water ran into the base it would just drop to the bottom, not form the grey goo stuff....believe that's normal, seen it on the inside of lots of valve covers.

Quite possible your biggest problem here is the hole in the garage roof....hope so.

Good 1 Danny, oil mix with water can be come milk like some times floating on top of oil or at the bottom. I would drain the oil to make sure - if you see mix of oil and water. I would open all 4 carb buttery flies drain same transmission fluid through the carbs this is for flashing out the motor... I have dun this a few times when water got down in a motor.

Airbox drain was plugged... didnt see any water in the carbs or the vboost manifolds. Hopefully ill have time to get into it this weekend. Working 7 days a week right now ain't doing me any favors though, lol.

Airbox drain was plugged... didnt see any water in the carbs or the vboost manifolds. Hopefully ill have time to get into it this weekend. Working 7 days a week right now ain't doing me any favors though, lol.

good luck...

Ok, ive got an update.... no water made it into the cylinders... no water came out when i drained the oil... however, when i dropped the oil pan it had some water in it, not much, but it was there. Maybe about 20cc's worth allong with a small bit of milky crap. Kinda thinking I should rip apart the breather manifold to check things out/ clean things out. Do you guys think that'll be enough? Definately open to input as I don't want to blow my motor, lol. Can't really swing building it back into a supercharged long rod at the moment, lol. Also found a pretty purple Barnett pressure plate lurking under the clutch cover from the previous owner so things aren't too bad right now, lol.

Get some cheap 20W/40 oil and use that to flush the motor.
Make sure you get it up to operating temperature to ensure that any moisture still inside the crankcase boils off.

Best way to do that is a ten mile ride.

When you get back drop the oil while everything is still hot, fit a new filter and refill with your usual oil.

Gonna be a few months before i can do that curtosy of the fluffy white evil falling from the sky, lol. Will running in the garage work?

Gonna be a few months before i can do that curtosy of the fluffy white evil falling from the sky, lol. Will running in the garage work?

Letting a bit of snow stop you riding???? Wot a wuss.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Eeee, when I were't lad ah used to ride me BSA Bantam that were only firing on won cylinder through fifteen foot o' snow, get stuck in drifts for months on end wi' nowt to eat but 't leather from me belt and still get 'ome in time fur tea!​
Tell that to youth of today and they don't believe you!
(To be read in a Yorkshire accent)

Yes, that will be OK but it will just tale longer, that's all. Suggest you run it and once the temperature has started to come up hold it at a high tick-over until the fan has cut in a couple of times.
Without wishing to state the bleedin' obvious it will seen like it take several years particularly if the ambient temperatures are low.

What you are trying to achieve is to get the oil sufficiently hot to allow all the moisture to evaporate.

Ive got a heated garage that stays at 80°+ so cool ambient temp isnt an issue, lol. Still gonna be a bit though til shes put back together to do it.

Ive got a heated garage that stays at 80°+ so cool ambient temp isnt an issue, lol. Still gonna be a bit though til shes put back together to do it.

Roll it outside, if the drifts aren't to the eaves, and run the bike there. Then-again, smashing thru a wall-o'snow might be kinda-fun and worthy of being uploaded to youtube...:biglaugh:

Here in south FL in the winter, we have other obstacles to contend-with.

images
images
images
images

I wish i had your problem Fire-Medic!!! But theres definately something to be said for the northern girls in their thight jeans and sexy sweaters :punk: Weve gotten around 10 inches of snow and its been going for about 18 hrs nonstop. Besides, my Max is about 2 months away from running again at the current rate of work being accomplished vs time available. Sucks but that's my reality at the moment. Hoping to have the HD oiling kit installed tonight so I can get the bottom end buttoned up again. Then its on to the top end for service :bang head:

Back