Bike quit today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke86max

Reaction score
I was riding home from work this morning and got to a red light and the bike cut off. Reached up and cranked it back up but not easy. got about a mile down the road with the bike spittin and sputterin and no tach reading then it just quit.
I pulled over and scratched my head and contemplated calling the wife to come get me for about 5 minutes or so. I looked over what I could see then reached up and hit the button and the bike fired up like nothing happened rode it about 5 miles home with no more issues.

I have noticed the past couple of nights right when I get to work I lose the tach and it runs like crap but never has happened in the morning on the way home until this morning. It seems a certain mileage cause it cut off right where I started from last night. It's like 32 miles then it needs to rest.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
Duke

Plugged fuel tank vent? When it does it quickly pull over and remove the gas cap. Listen to hear if it sucks air into it when you pull it off.
Sean

How do these vent through the cap or is there an actual hose? Thought I had found it but it was the overflow valve.
Duke

There is a hose that leads off the tank and goes down in front of the battery. Basically right next to the rear cylinder headers. The hose does have a valve in it. It is the tip over valve. That hose extends all the way down to a little holder that bolts onto the oil pan.

Thanks Mike must be the same one I was looking at. In the manual they call it overflow valve. I'll get that cleaned out and try it.
Later
Duke

my bike also runs like crap when my tach died what I did was pulled the tach/temp assembly out and used my heat gun on the circuit board slowly worked it back and forth for about 3 minutes or so let it cool for about 1/2 hour put to all back together and problem solved.I was told solder joints loose contact over the years causing the tach to not working when it feels like it.I heated SLOW don't MELT or BURN for board SLOW CONTROLLED heat or you will be buying a new tach./temp assembly GOOD LUCK!!:punk: I assume that when the tach goes on the fritz in grounds out or somehow affects the coils.My other bike 1982 750 seca had the same issue tach died bike ran like crap but didn't know this fix at the time so I ended up buying a used tach off ebay.

I think it is the valve cause as soon as I stop and pop the cap I can crank it right back up and go. The less gas in the tank the sooner it cuts off.

Can I bypass the valve with a piece of tubing and try it or will gas flow from it?
If this doesn't work I'll try heating the tach assembly.

Thanks
Duke

It's probably not the valve. Remove the hose from the tank (not the hose going to the filter). Then take a piece of wire and clear out the line (even though it looks like 5/16" the actual hole is more like 1/32")

Sean

Back