bike stalls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmf1200

Reaction score
Hello all, I am a fairly new owner of a 1988 V-Max and I would like to know why the bike stalls when i put it in gear after running it on a hot day like today?
It runs fine when first started and driving for a while but when I put it in neutral then put it in gear the bike stalls out as soon as i let the clutch out.:ummm:

the guys that know these bikes inside and out will need more info to help ya out.
-stock or include list of mods
-last service and carb cleaning
-any other symptoms you can add would help too

i'd start with a minor carb cleaning, search carb cleaning and read through some of those threads.

First question.....what are your rpms in neutral?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

What is the voltage across the battery terminals at idle when up to temp?

And what the other guys said.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Wow you guys are fast responders! To answer some questions,, It's a stock bike except for exhaust (supertrapp 4 into 1), its runs 1000 rpm at idle, the fan has yet to come on since i've had the bike (2nd season), and I haven't checked the voltage at idle warmed up but will do that. The bike starts and runs great but the last 2 times that I rode it she stalled on me at a light when I released the clutch to go and it would start right up but would stall again. It happened both times after driving for an hour in hot temps. I will be checking to see if the fan even works cause I haven't heard it come on yet but the gauge hasn't got into the hot range either.

It could be a fault with your side stand switch. It might be due to a short from the vibration and nothing to do with temperature???

Matt

Also push the wires into the clutch switch after checking for corrosion.

I finally got some time to work on the bike and here's what I did. I got the v-boost control box to start working after taking the back cover off it and tweeking a few capacitors. I tested the fan by jumping it from the battery and it spins, so I know that is good but i haven't tested the temp switch yet. I got 13 volts at the battery at idle,,,but here's the troubling part,,the voltage drops down a little to 12.7v at a little throttle. Shouldn't the voltage rise to say 13.5v when giving throttle from the voltage regulator and stator??

I did look to see if that kick stand switch was there and it is and it seems to be connected but i haven't verified if it works or not.

Also push the wires into the clutch switch after checking for corrosion.

I don't think its the clutch wires though, it only does this when it gets hot, it works great all day if it's kinda cool out.

I got 13 volts at the battery at idle,,,but here's the troubling part,,the voltage drops down a little to 12.7v at a little throttle. Shouldn't the voltage rise to say 13.5v when giving throttle from the voltage regulator and stator??
Actually, this bike drops voltage a bit when the rpm's rise.. Weird, I know, but that's what it does..
I thought it strange too, when I got my bike, but others on this forum confirmed it's operating correctly.

My voltage output goes up to about 14.0-14.4 when revved up to about 3000rpm.

Matt
Oh ok well that is good news and I didn't rev it up to 3000rpm, it was more like 1800-2000rpm. Thanks :punk:

Actually, this bike drops voltage a bit when the rpm's rise.. Weird, I know, but that's what it does..
I thought it strange too, when I got my bike, but others on this forum confirmed it's operating correctly.
Thanks for this info....it had me worried there for a bit,,i thought i would be doing a voltage regulator or stator job soon.

Latest posts

Back