bought a 96 max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskokaman

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just bought a 96 with 10,000 miles in pretty nice shape,
everything is stock, and looks pretty nice, except for some engine paint falling off here and there. My question is , this bike has been sitting for 5 years with fuel in the tank/carbs and no stabilzer that I know of added. What am I in for as far as getting er back up and running? where should I start, and how far should I go? any advice here would be much appreciated..
thanks

p.s. thanks to the guys who replied to my post with bikes for sale..

Bruce

deffinately in for a good carb cleaning most likely a complete carb rebuild & probably removing & coating the tank if there is rust in it & flushing out all the brake & clutch fluids & maybe rebuilding the slave cylinder on the clutch & replacing tires as I would guess there dryrotting. Just a good general once over. There are some good threds here on rebuilding the stuff & if you dont feel capable we will do our best to walk you thru it. if your still not feeling comfortable with rebuilding the carbs Dannymax,Sean or Me would be happy to do teh job. Good luck & have fun with your new toy.

+1 everything Kyle said. My friend let my old virago sit for 6 years with gas in the tank. It needed all new rubber. The tank was rusted and had a nasty white build up on the inside roof of the tank. There was rust and sludge in the lines. The carbs needed a complete rebuild and all fluids had to be flushed and replaced. It also needs a solid cleaning.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would drain the tank (look inside for rust), and change the fuel filter. Also take the airbox lid off and make sure that no mice have made a nest inside. After refilling the tank, open the drain screws on the carb bowls one at a time and cycle the key to see what comes out (into a cup). Change the engine oil and filter, then see if it will fire and how it runs. If it runs crappy, then a carb rebuild will probably be in order. Good luck and keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back