Bought chain converted Vmax12

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a Vmax that had been converted to a chain drive. Lately, when I release the throttle there is s loud metal hitting metal clanking. This doesn't happen when I accelerate but as soon as I release the throttle the sound is back. I thought this was the chain but I have done everything to make sure the chain is adjusted correctly. I decided to replace the clutch as I assumed it could be part of the problem. While I was soaking the plates in oil, I decided I want to see that the chain drive sprocket wasn't making that noise, but when I opened the converted middle drive I found that the small snap ring and c ring were very loose. I believe this could be were the noise is coming from, but I would like someone with experience in this to tell me if what I saw is ok and if not, how to fix it.
Sorry so long. Help appreciated.
William1000001589.jpg

Attachments

• 1000001588.mp4
    41 MB
IMO that is unlikely to be the issue. Unless there is excessive axial movement a small side to side play is probably acceptable.
When going on to the overrun this will cause a reversal of torque which will be a radial load so components that may be affected by this is where you should be looking.
In addition the upper run of the chain will no longer be under tension...could this be hitting (say) a chain guard or the swinging arm?

IMO that is unlikely to be the issue. Unless there is excessive axial movement a small side to side play is probably acceptable.
When going on to the overrun this will cause a reversal of torque which will be a radial load so components that may be affected by this is where you should be looking.
In addition the upper run of the chain will no longer be under tension...could this be hitting (say) a chain guard or the swinging arm?
Thank you for your feedback. I have tightened the chain properly and lubed it as well. Perhaps I will replace the chain but I really would like to pinpoint the issue so I don't just go replacing parts until it goes away.

I would say that Sean Morley probably has more experience with chain drive Vmaxs than just about anyone currently on this forum. Hopefully he will chime in.

Lately, when I release the throttle there is s loud metal hitting metal clanking. This doesn't happen when I accelerate but as soon as I release the throttle the sound is back.
Sounds like broken or severely worn gear teeth. So long as you're on power the tension prohibits it from happening, but once you let off the throttle and the slack rolls the other way you get the clunk. Drive shafts do the same thing.

I'll bet that the output gear at the engine has either chipped or worn teeth on it. You've probably already looked, but double check the rear sprocket too.

I would start by checking chain adjustment. But without the cush drive system to dampen things you will have more noise from the drivetrain slop

I want to get to the chain sprocket that is behind the leftover middle drive but the maintenance book is of no help in teaching me how to access that sprocket. I don't want to just start unscrewing everything. Can someone tell me how to remove parts of the middle drive so I can access the sprocket?

This is what I am looking at.

Attachments

• PXL_20240403_041719158.TS_exported_11321_1712119810151.jpg
    PXL_20240403_041719158.TS_exported_11321_1712119810151.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 2
Hi William Call Paul at MadMax Race he is the innovator of the chain drive conversion kit for the Yamaha Vmax since 1985 he will be happy to explain what your problem is and how to remove your sprocket with out damaging any thing you can call us at MadMax Race 203 574-7859 Sincerely Elizabeth

Paul Civitello knows what's up!! Please call him if you have any vmax chain drive issues! He designed the vmax chain drive and he is the nicest most helpful person.
I will post my results after I get this done!!

Look at gas tank under neath as it is mod too. If chain is hitting should see paint removed from gas tank

Back