Brake Lights, No Tail Lights

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorgBiker

Reaction score
Another interesting dilemma:

My tail light(s) don't work. The brake lights work fine, though.

I have checked the bulbs, and both filaments appear to be in good shape.

I checked the fuses, all look normal.

I checked the connections under the rear seat, all were set firmly.

I might buy 2 bulbs, as they are cheap, but not expecting that to be the issue.

Any ideas?

Voltage looks good, not sure why low voltage would give me the bright brake lights and absolutely no "running light" on the tail light.

I'm going through the connectors, cleaning each one so hopefully that will do it.

Start at blue write from key switch and work from there.

Ahh lovely electrical gremlins playing havoc with my diagnosing...

I cleaned each and every connection from the ignition switch back - at least every one I could find with the air cover and all seat sections removed. I still had the same issue.

I left it alone for a while, came back to it, and when I put the key in the right (from the rear) light lit up, but nothing from the left one. SO now it seems the bulb is bad, although it looks ok. I swapped bulbs left and right, and then the right side (same bulb) didn't work. I'll pick up a bulb tomorrow and continue my quest.

At least there's some kind of movement in this...

Are you talking about the turnsignals when you say "left one"? Stock factory rear turnsignals do not work as taillights, the stock front turnsignals do work that way though.

Are you talking about the turnsignals when you say "left one"? Stock factory rear turnsignals do not work as taillights, the stock front turnsignals do work that way though.

No, I'm referring to the bulbs in the taillight assembly. There are two, and left means the one on the left as if you were behind the bike, looking toward the taillight (Or left as you are sitting on the bike).

The left one is now not working at all, whereas before both would work, but only as brake lights.

No, I'm referring to the bulbs in the taillight assembly. There are two, and left means the one on the left as if you were behind the bike, looking toward the taillight (Or left as you are sitting on the bike).

The left one is now not working at all, whereas before both would work, but only as brake lights.

Stick a test light in there on both electrodes and confirm you have power right to the sockets and then put an ohm meter across each bulb and see if the elements are good..............

Gah, sorry! It's been sooo long since I took off my stocker that I've forgotten that fact. I agree with Mike, make sure you have power going to the socket.

Weird: Orignally both bulbs would only work in high "braking" mode. Now, I pulled both lights out, and turned the key on, then back off. Put the lights in, and turned the key on... now one light had it's "low" on and the other one didn't.:ummm:

Hit the brake lever - the light that was lit on low, got brighter (like it's supposed to) the other bulb still nothing. A new bulb fixed this and no more problem. :eusa_dance:

I work in IT, and spend a lot of time diagnosing problems that seem to point in multiple directions. Nice to know my Max does the same thing. I'd hate for it to be too easy! lol!

Back