Bridgestone G526 problem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el oso

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a problem with the stock Bridgestone Excedra G526 tires. These tires do not have a round profile, more of a shallow curve to the tread and then a "corner" or "ledge" where the tread goes to the sidewall. You don't have to lean very far to get on this rubber "corner", and when you do, traction just about disappears. People here write about grinding stuff leaned over - on these tires?

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a problem with the stock Bridgestone Excedra G526 tires. These tires do not have a round profile, more of a shallow curve to the tread and then a "corner" or "ledge" where the tread goes to the sidewall. You don't have to lean very far to get on this rubber "corner", and when you do, traction just about disappears. People here write about grinding stuff leaned over - on these tires?

I think ull find most switch to shinko or metz tires.

I have no problem with my Bridgestone tire:confused2: forum members that ride with me can tell you I have no problem leaning into the curves with my stock Bridgestones. I'm sure you can get better tires but I have no problem with mine, and I plan on replacing the rear with the same tire in the spring because I like the looks of them also.

I know that Bridgestone makes a decent product and Yamaha picked them as "issue", so the performance I've experienced while leaned over surprised me. When I get near that "corner" on the tread the rear end starts squirming all over the place. Must be a weight distribution/handling issue if yours handle well. Comming from sportbikes, the profile on these tires looks very strange to me.

I know that Bridgestone makes a decent product and Yamaha picked them as "issue", so the performance I've experienced while leaned over surprised me. When I get near that "corner" on the tread the rear end starts squirming all over the place. Must be a weight distribution/handling issue if yours handle well. Comming from sportbikes, the profile on these tires looks very strange to me.
A lot of people do switch to shinko or metz tires, they are more of the sportbike style you are talking about and I'm sure they would handle better in the twisties. But on the Vmax you can only go so low anyway, the thing is a heavy beast:biglaugh:

Mine came with factory Dunlops. I am glad, cause I never have much liked bridgestones.

I ordered a set of Shinko Tour Masters front and rear, and will replace these Bridgestones now, even though they don't have much wear on them. What to do with the take-offs? I'll never use them on a bike again, that's for sure, but some people like them. I just don't see how these tires can work leaned over, but then, I'm thinking more and more that the vmax really is a purpose-built drag racing machine that is out of its element in a turn. Maybe Yamaha never intended the bike to be leaned over in a turn, thus the weird tires?

I had a set of Qualifiers all around which are almost shaped like the stones, and they handled great for me even on the edge... though a lot of maxers do not like them.
Then went to the Shinko on the rear, these were even better, fully round, and you would think you would really cut some corners, at the end of the day its all a illusion...looking at the tires after a couple K miles and cutting through whatever twisties I can find, I had pushed over the edge of the front, and the wear patern on the shinko looked like a half moon...never touched 1 inch of the sides....you can only get over soo far on the max.

I think you have a handling problem......big sweepers at 80+...tight twisties under power the whole rear end will wiggle and start dancing......thats why real men (and women) ride Maxe's.

If your bikes totally stock suspension...theres your probs.

I run stock suspension, and I have NO PROBLEM running hard through the curves. Now I am sure it could be a lot better if I threw some money at it, but you can ask anyone that was at the June VMOA rally in Arkansas, if I had any problems keeping up in the corners with stock suspension, and a bald Shinko! LOL

Hatter...what do you weigh, I think that makes a big difference. I'm about 230 decked out, and my stock '85 would never wobble, but did the weave on odd days after 115, and changing lanes under power the rear end danced a bit.
Should have changed the parts and tested each, but did most withen 2 months.
Yes I still have the chicken leg forks, but with progressive springs and lowered internally 1 inch, and running NO air. UFO fork brace (my buddy with a 2003 got 15 mph more at the top with just that change).
Progressive shocks...lowered 1 inch also, so same rake and trail.
Bike will peg the speedo all day with me just hanging on.(4 mph off@ 60...GPS)
I also added a welded frame brace which got rid of the twitchy cornering under power....but only gained abot 10 mph in that same 80mph sweeper...on my Fz1, Ill do 120 ridding easy.

Yeah, 85, I think you're right. I've read most of the suspension upgrade threads and I'm reluctant to dive into all that. I have sportbikes that handle great so I'm inclined to just ride the vmax in straight lines - it is plenty of fun in that mode! It is just amazing to me that this bike handles so poorly in stock trim - mine is a 2006, and I expected much better from Yamaha.

Hatter...what do you weigh, I think that makes a big difference.

I freely admit that I am a Fat Ass. 300+lbs. I have no problem holding it down on the road. :biglaugh:

It is just amazing to me that this bike handles so poorly in stock trim - mine is a 2006, and I expected much better from Yamaha.

OUr rides are 21 years apart, apart from a few upgrades, as far as I'm concerned, your ridding a 85 VMax that got sold in '06......Makeovers from the factory happen every 3-5 years or so, took 'em 25 years to figure out the Max, and that was probably from depleted sales over the years.

I ordered a set of Shinko Tour Masters front and rear, and will replace these Bridgestones now, even though they don't have much wear on them. What to do with the take-offs? I'll never use them on a bike again, that's for sure, but some people like them. I just don't see how these tires can work leaned over, but then, I'm thinking more and more that the vmax really is a purpose-built drag racing machine that is out of its element in a turn. Maybe Yamaha never intended the bike to be leaned over in a turn, thus the weird tires?

There are many Maxers that have gone to the trouble & expense to make their rides comfortable and stable in the turns. I have seen some who can and do put a knee down. It all depends on what you want it to do, and how much you care to spend.

:punk:

Trying to make it your own...Ain't that the truth......look at them already trying to upgrade the new Maxes which already cost them the price of 2 B-Kings.I'd be doing the same also, thats why I don't have one.

I prefer riding a sportbike when I want to tear up the twisties to trying to make a vmax do something it wasn't designed to do. Even if the modified suspension is perfect, there are huge weight and cg issues.
Anyone who rides a vmax and then says "I'm going to make this bike handle" and then actually succeeds is pretty amazing to me. I just don't have the technical savy and experimental mentality to embark on a project like that. I'll keep reading here and maybe I'll learn enough to try a suspension modification in the future.
I thank everyone who provided insight into why the odd (to me) tires come stock on this bike. My Shinkos came in (quick from motorsports warehouse) and I will put them on right away, but I'm still going to go easy in the turns.

Back