Buying my first Vmax.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... it stopped the misfire when not at idle but at idle it was still there.

I got pissed off, ripped the carb rack off the engine, and completely dismantled the carb that belongs to the misfiring cylinder. Wouldnt you know it, pilot jet buried inside the jet body was clogged. It was so bad I couldnt tell if it was even a jet or a plug shaped like a jet. It had markings like a jet. After poking at it from the inside and scratching the top of it I discovered there was a hole, it was perfectly filled in.

Put the rack back together but didnt have the energy to re-install it on the bike.

Ill see if it made a difference today. I hope to god this is the end.

Fuck carburetors, next bike has fuel injection.

i wonder if it has to due to the cylinder not firing? or one caused the other?

Clogged pilot jets are probably the reason 90% of these bikes run poorly. The rest of the issues are electrical and or engine related.

Clogged pilot jets are probably the reason 90% of these bikes run poorly. The rest of the issues are electrical and or engine related.

Guaranteed.

The design of the carb also prevents any sort of carb cleaning short of complete rebuild from making any difference.

BTW. Do you sell the gasket for the jet body?

Edit: I should have known from the start that the lack of fuel at idle was a pilot, but I dismissed it like a tool. I got to cleaning the carbs and was alternating between the carb cleaner and compressed air. Thats when I noticed something when I blew compressed air into the PAJ under the diaphragm. 3 carbs spit fuel from the main jet when I did that. 1 did not. When I drained them and did the same thing on the bench, the pitch of the blowing air coming through 3 carbs was the same, 1 was different.

Guaranteed.

The design of the carb also prevents any sort of carb cleaning short of complete rebuild from making any difference.

BTW. Do you sell the gasket for the jet body?

Edit: I should have known from the start that the lack of fuel at idle was a pilot, but I dismissed it like a tool. I got to cleaning the carbs and was alternating between the carb cleaner and compressed air. Thats when I noticed something when I blew compressed air into the PAJ under the diaphragm. 3 carbs spit fuel from the main jet when I did that. 1 did not. When I drained them and did the same thing on the bench, the pitch of the blowing air coming through 3 carbs was the same, 1 was different.

sean sells everything.

I fixerd it har har har !!!!!!!!!!

The fact that I can now stick around in 4 - 6k rpm range without any hesitation or surge is unbelievable coupled with smooth uninterrupted acceleration from stop at any throttle position makes this a COMPLETELY different bike.

OH SO HAPPY :)

Congrads!

I fixerd it har har har !!!!!!!!!!

The fact that I can now stick around in 4 - 6k rpm range without any hesitation or surge is unbelievable coupled with smooth uninterrupted acceleration from stop at any throttle position makes this a COMPLETELY different bike.

OH SO HAPPY :)

I just made a stupid noob mistake. I decided to change the fork oil. Like a dumbass I undo the fork caps and remove them. First one came out pretty hard into my hand, whatever I was expecting it. Second one came out like a mother fucker. The forks compressed faster than I could blink and im standing their pissing myself thinking I just damaged the oil lock or piston. I KNOW I have to elevate the front wheel when doing this stuff but I just dont know why I didnt do it. I got the front wheel in the air now, no idea what I should do.

What is the likely hood I royally fucked the forks?

I just made a stupid noob mistake. I decided to change the fork oil. Like a dumbass I undo the fork caps and remove them. First one came out pretty hard into my hand, whatever I was expecting it. Second one came out like a mother fucker. The forks compressed faster than I could blink and im standing their pissing myself thinking I just damaged the oil lock or piston. I KNOW I have to elevate the front wheel when doing this stuff but I just dont know why I didnt do it. I got the front wheel in the air now, no idea what I should do.

What is the likely hood I royally fucked the forks?

This happens more often than you would think....just one of those 'common sense' things that we all know but can easily overlook!!

Your forks will probably be ok, but to be certain I'd pull them down and have a look at the internals just to be sure. Wouldn't hurt to flush them out good anyway, sludge builds up pretty quick.

i know a few guys that did that. as long as it didn't slam into the ground hard, u should be fine.... if you loosen ONE fork at a time in the tripples but keep the axle and fork brace in you should be able to turn the upper fork tube without any problems and that'll tell u somewhat if it bent at all

probably some wounded pride.

Phew. Good to know.

I decided to forgo taking apart the fork tubes, too much work and I dont have a proper stand to service the bike on. Just two jack stands and a floor jack.

I decided to check on the forks because I was wondering if it was normal for this bike to have such a soft suspension. I could compress the shit out of it just by rocking it forward. Turns out one fork leg had little to no oil, the other was half way full and it was nasty. After filling them both up and putting in about 10psi I can compress them maybe 2 - 3 inches.

Why are the springs coiled tighter on one end?

Phew. Good to know.

I decided to forgo taking apart the fork tubes, too much work and I dont have a proper stand to service the bike on. Just two jack stands and a floor jack.

I decided to check on the forks because I was wondering if it was normal for this bike to have such a soft suspension. I could compress the shit out of it just by rocking it forward. Turns out one fork leg had little to no oil, the other was half way full and it was nasty. After filling them both up and putting in about 10psi I can compress them maybe 2 - 3 inches.

Why are the springs coiled tighter on one end?

progressive (brand) springs will fix that 'dive'. they're coiled tighter on one end so they don't have a linear spring rate i believe. both oem and progressive (brand) springs are done that way. altho i believe 'progressive' springs in general just refers to the coiled tighter on one end. also, it doesn't matter which way but just make sure the coil is up or down on both forks.

I can't really compare to stock, but my bike came with the Progressive springs installed and I run zero air in the forks. Very little "dive" on braking and still a comfortable ride.

I've heard of people forgetting to support the weight of the bike otherwise before opening the forks. I think it's one of those relatively common "whoops" bike moments. Don't beat yourself up about it, I still forget to put the side stand up every so often, resulting in my bike suddenly stalling when I step it into first. Despite having the bike for over 10k miles, I still forget that. My old Suzuki GS had a flashing light whenever the stand was down, and it would buzz if you put it in gear. Vmax just kills the engine for maximum embarrassment, rather than a subtle blinking light on the dash to help you save face with your buddies.

At least yours works, mine doesnt.

One of my biggest complaints with this bike was the very heavy handling and I attested that to it being a heavy bike. Most noticeable was its refusal to lean at any speed and steering that felt heavy and bulky even when standing still. However, I am happy to report all of that was a product of the suspension being in poor working order. Today I was very surprised. I took it for a 25 mile ride and its pretty nimble for being a beast. Also felt a lot more confident in corners and at highway speeds. Most noticeable change was that it no longer feels like the front is going to lift when leaving a stop.

I also lubed the cables and cleaned the throttle tube so now the throttle doesnt feel like its attached to a brick at the end. Throttle response now has pretty much doubled. I went over a bump and my hand jerked the throttle, the bike leaped forward almost leaving me behind.

So far I am very very happy and impressed.

So you bought Nick's bike? You got a nice machine, and he was practically giving it away.

The tires on it are old and kind of dry rotted, so I would suggest a hearty burnout then some new ones anyway, lol.

Back