Cam application

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would a set of PCW 380 lift cams and their stage 1 heads be good on a stock bore vmax motor? If I used stock bore but decked the block to raise compression and tighten the squish band would it work well?
I have thought of doing this and maybe lightening the flywheel. I will run stock carbs and Hindle 4 into 1 early style exhaust.

Thanks
Jim

Would a set of PCW 380 lift cams and their stage 1 heads be good on a stock bore vmax motor? If I used stock bore but decked the block to raise compression and tighten the squish band would it work well?
I have thought of doing this and maybe lightening the flywheel. I will run stock carbs and Hindle 4 into 1 early style exhaust.

Thanks
Jim

Get hold of Sean (one2dmax) as he builds up a lot of motors and can answer most of your questions.

Yes, you can swap that stuff over. Make sure you don't deck the block too much especially if the heads have already been decked.

Sean

Yes I did just buy them from ebay. Sean how, other than ccing the chambers, can I tell if and how much the heads have been milled? What is the tightest piston to cylinder head clearance you can use on the max engine? On my GSXR's I used a 0 deck and .041" head gasket. On big bore motors do they still use regular pump fuel? What kind of jetting changes will I be looking at? Possible to use stock needles and adjust by shimming?

Thanks
Jim

stock pump. Same jetting most times. You can take .040 off the deck (you will have to take off some of the rectangular cylinder covers too). .027 or bigger gaskets. 24-26cc I think is close to stock head cc's.

Sean

Whatever happened to the custom cams by "backfire" ? I see he hasn't posted since December, but I know some here know him. Did his cam grind ever work out ? Maybe it's a work in progress - I guess it may take a while to design a new cam - way over my head, that's for sure.

Back