carb question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is bike all stock ??? Seems long the return to idle when you rev it up. When was the sync last done....a/f screws are set to what setting ?

I might be totally wrong, but I thought the holes he's covering are just empty little scoops. I think the carbs aren't tight enough, seated properly, or something like that, and the pressure is moving the throttle linkage.

I thought maybe those were vent holes, and that perhaps his carbs aren't completely synched together.
That, or maybe as he's pushing his thumb down onto each one, his pressure is changing the way the carb is inserted into that boot???

LOL, I just happened to see this post.. That’s my video from YouTube.. LOL..

After I shot this video, I tried to replicate the same action with the air box in place.. My revs went WAY up. Around 7 to 8K. So, it defiantly has something to do with the amount of air to fuel mix getting to the carbs. When I tried to do a test run, she would only get up around 2 - 3K in 2nd gear, then bog down (air box on). Another post on this site said to check if it running lean or rich, Take a piece of duct tape on your next test run. Cover 1/2 of each air inlet on the air box and see how it responds. If it gets better, then you were running lean.. Too much air getting in.. If it got worse, you were running rich.. Not enough air to fuel. I did this test and the bike really took off.. I was able to get her up to 80 in 4th before I heard that bogging again. This led me to believe that I’m getting too much air. So I pulled the carbs again and pulled the boots this time.. Boots where cracked up.. 1 was split in half. So I figured I finally found the culprit. Replaced all boots. Tried again, and the same damn thing.. Bogging down around 2-3K. Yesterday, I did more research on this site and wondered if my levels were low. Went to check and they were VERY low. So now the carbs are in the house and I’m adjusting each one.

Am I missing something here? I opened up carbs 3 and 4 to compare float heights and noticed that the Main Jet, (bottom of the Jet Block under the float housing), were different in size and orifice opening size.
Looking more closely at the at the manual today and I see that is says, Carbs 1 and 3 should be #152.5 and Carbs 3 and 4 should be #150.. Whatever those numbers supposed to mean.

I wish the jets were numbered so that I could tell what jet belongs where.. In each carb, there are 3 jets that screw into the same size threads.

If you had all 3 in your hand, how would you know which one went where?

Latest posts

Back