carb rebuild parts cost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
I recently got an 85 vmax and judging by the smell of the fuel and what is in the gas tank I would be wise to plan on a carb rebuild....

was wonderng if anyone could give me a planning purpose figure for the cost of all parts necessary to do a complete job.

I recently got the vmax carb rebuild video from ebay and have watched it a couple of times, much to my wife's displeasure, :real mad:.....yeah thats her, anyways..I liked it ! I was supprised at the amount of parts and the complexity of the vmax carb system vs. the kawasaki carbs I have become so well aquainted with.. I am looking forward to getting these carbs restored back to excellent original condition.

the max I have is a cal bike and I do believe that there are a few parts in there that are different for cali bikes, was wondering what you guys could tell me about this.... I am interested in understandig how they differ and what the effect of power production is on the cali bike diferences. I do want to maintiain the stock appearance of my bike so unlike my last vmax project I will be keeping all original parts on the bike but I do not consider internal carb changes to be a "modified" bike so if I can get more mojo ... thats what I want... besides I dont live in california

Can't help you on the CA carb differences but I'm rebuilding some '89 carbs and the cost for each carb is running about $70....to my door. This includes the A/F screw assembly, float bowl drain screw, all o-rings and gaskets and the rubber plugs on top of the jet block.

Danny I never recieved a responce on those other parts. how did you make out with that &*@ed up screw?

Danny I never recieved a responce on those other parts. how did you make out with that &*@ed up screw?

I got really lucky Rick, Ed had drilled a hole in one of them, but it was way off center, so I drilled another hole opposite Ed's, inserted a slot screwdriver and snapped the head in half. Then poofed some air into PAJ1 and the remainder of the shattered A/F screw popped out in my hand. The threads are untouched, which amazed me, and the seat doesn't have a mark on it! :clapping: It looks like I'll have just under $400 in a completely rebuilt rack of carbs when I'm done.

Thanks for the deal, I appreciate it. :punk:

BTW, Tugla took them back to Canada with him and douched them with 'Mouse's Snot...or Milk' I guess. That went a long way toward loosening it up.

Cool! Im buying the rebuilt set that 1967max had for sale,If I dont get my EFI sorted out this winter/spring,I'll have A good stage 7 set RTG.

Jims carbs will work quite well and is a fair price in my humble opinion. I do have plenty of carb parts on hand and can price them all for you. I can tell you that it's around $150 worth of parts give or take.

Sean

+1 on that....

pulled the carbs off my 85 today....clearly been sitting full of fuel for a long, long, long time....Im thinkng full rebuild. will probably need a complete set of parts to do the job

Here's what I generally replace in my carb rebuild ($400 with parts):

Price Item Part # Description Req per carb

$5.45 10 93210-03119-00 O-RING 1
$6.71 17 3JB-14536-00-00 GASKET 1
$3.17 33 22U-14147-00-00 O-RING 1
$10.07 35 3JB-14199-00-00 GASKET 1
$7.20 43 22V-14968-00-00 CAP 1
$6.92 45 22U-14968-00-00 CAP 1
---------------------------------------
$39.52 per carb x 4 = $158.08

If you end up needing float blow gaskets, carb diaphrams, slides, o-rings for the drain screws or drain plugs, that only makes the carbs that much more to rebuild.

Sean

Back