change the looks of the vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you can eliminate the scoops with a FatMax tank and gain room for more gas.

Attachments

• fatmax tank.jpg
    fatmax tank.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 147
Paint your scoops to match the body work. It really changes the look of the bike.

I love how my vmax rides, I could go for a bit more power, or a lot more, but the biggest issue for me right now is that it looks like a retro 80's space ship bike...I've looked online at a bunch of kits to change the looks, but they seem to make them more futuristic and often times (to my opinion) cheesy. Are there any timeless designs to tame the wackieness of the bike? I have no love for fake air scoops, the angled tail/seats/sissy bar, or the twin chrome megaphones. OTHERWISE, I love how it rides, and I'm very happy with it. And please, nobody get offended about me not liking it's style, lots of people love it, and that's cool for them, but it's just not my style

Power is strength & easy to admire and search for more .That's probably what draws us to the Max the most. Looks are subjective to everyones eye and more difficult to say what one likes , another thinks it's too chromie or monochrome , too futuristic or old school. There are a LOT of different Maxes out there. Keep looking , you'll find one ( or two , lol ) , that blows your socks off . Hint , bring money , they can be addictive.

Attachments

• DSC02624.jpg
    DSC02624.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 7-19-11 964.jpg
    7-19-11 964.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 94
That looks good! I don't think I have paid-attention to that before. I went to: http://www.fatmax.com/fatorder/fatorder.htm but did not see a gas tank listing. Is it still avail?, Cost, capacity?
Hmm.. good question. I know that is how he started out was offering the gas tank, but I don't see it on his site now. Give Roger a call and he can give you the details.

Found a cached version of the FatMax tank

Attachments

• fatmax1.jpg
    fatmax1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 60
  • fatmax2.JPG
    fatmax2.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 63
Thanks, "Buster." i see it is a tank cover & not a larger area where a gas container could be placed.

while my vmax is still off the road, I carry on collecting parts I'd like to fit once it's up and running. this is what I received in post last week!

it's a very close if not direct replica of the over racing item, made of glass fibre, 3 coats of gel coat. apparently it has a centre layer of satin weave cloth that they use on racing bikes and cars. enough to say it's very sturdy, just a tad heavier than the metal tank and looks dogs bollocks!

?70 plus postage, so about ?110-120 plus postage from UK, compared to about $550-600 plus postage from japan for the original carbon fibre over racing unit.

you can reach the guy at [email protected]

Attachments

• P1050546.jpg
    P1050546.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 58
  • P1050544.jpg
    P1050544.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 43
  • P1050543.jpg
    P1050543.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 42
  • P1050539.jpg
    P1050539.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 33
  • P1050538.jpg
    P1050538.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 32
  • P1050537.jpg
    P1050537.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 33
  • P1050536.jpg
    P1050536.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 36
I love how my vmax rides, I could go for a bit more power, or a lot more, but the biggest issue for me right now is that it looks like a retro 80's space ship bike...I've looked online at a bunch of kits to change the looks, but they seem to make them more futuristic and often times (to my opinion) cheesy. Are there any timeless designs to tame the wackieness of the bike? I have no love for fake air scoops, the angled tail/seats/sissy bar, or the twin chrome megaphones. OTHERWISE, I love how it rides, and I'm very happy with it. And please, nobody get offended about me not liking it's style, lots of people love it, and that's cool for them, but it's just not my style

Dude, you are only limited by your Monkey's imagination. I've seen Maxes in all shape and sizes. I understand that the scoops and mufflers aren't your cup of tea so here are some pics of some where those aspects have been "defocus"ed so to speak and in some cases removed. i understand that your looking for a more cleaner look, kinda low-key, timeless--i tried to select some pics from my collection that you could borrow ideas from. you want more power? well shoot, just tell your Monkey and he'll surely provide

Happy modding! Loose your monkey. :punk:

Attachments

• cannesmotoservices.JPG
    cannesmotoservices.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 83
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 85
  • maxzilla.JPG
    maxzilla.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Lazareth-Yamaha-V-Max-SWe (08).JPG
    Lazareth-Yamaha-V-Max-SWe (08).JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF4824.jpg
    DSCF4824.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 91
  • BigBikeVmax.JPG
    BigBikeVmax.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 201
  • benvmax2.JPG
    benvmax2.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 92
  • alex_lg08.JPG
    alex_lg08.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 55871524zrjhni_fs.jpg
    55871524zrjhni_fs.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 79
  • ag4.JPG
    ag4.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 86
  • showimage2.JPG
    showimage2.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 81
  • JC Vmax.JPG
    JC Vmax.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 74
  • vmax-tecno-bike-shotgun-img06.JPG
    vmax-tecno-bike-shotgun-img06.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 74
  • yamaha-v-max-gp-performance-4-2-1-full-system-titanium_big2034TT-01_e1cd.jpg
    yamaha-v-max-gp-performance-4-2-1-full-system-titanium_big2034TT-01_e1cd.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 75
  • V-Max.JPG
    V-Max.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 81
  • user903_pic2327_1254158300.JPG
    user903_pic2327_1254158300.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 196
  • taylormade_vmax5_original.jpg
    taylormade_vmax5_original.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 85
  • special01.JPG
    special01.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 77
  • P1000678.jpg
    P1000678.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 73
  • p27.jpg
    p27.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 79
Thanks for all of the supportive ideas guys! Yesterday I went ahead and put the rear brake light up under the sissy bar where the reflector otherwise is. I'm really happy about that look, but I can't figure out where/how to mount the lisence plate.... I found a bracket online, but I'd rather have something that I can whip up today... That fat max is just what I'm looking for, ALSO, I forgot his name, but I'll find it, the guy who just hypercharged his max, I really dig the velocity stacks coming out of the tank in his avatar. I could most certainly sign up for something like that!

Check out the bottom of this page for an idea on mounting your plate. http://cruton.bmg.uab.edu/page_7.htm

Here's an idea for the license plate. I got one from custom dynamics that also adds another brake light. Because I shortened my rear fender, I also had to shorten the inner fender and relocate the plate bracket. Someone on here had done this before and had posted a pic of his chopped inner fender, which is what is shown.

Attachments

• Brake lights 3.jpg
    Brake lights 3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0177.jpg
    IMAG0177.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Alteredsupport.jpg
    Alteredsupport.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 33

Let the mod monkey guide you

I looked thru the picasas, and you have done a neat series of mods which together make it yours, quite a bit different from a stocker. I like the tailpiece, I reminds me of yin and yang, when compared to the front. You have angel eyes up-front, and to me, the appearance of demon's eyes in the rear, especially noticeable since they are red! I like the faux tank mod & the 'velocity stacks,' I had made mention in another thread when you had (I think) showed us your idea, about the air intakes resembling the old flathead Ford V8 Stromberg air intakes. They have a bit of a curve, maybe 22 degrees, and for an application similar to yours, it pays homage to the American hot-rodding tradition of the '50's. Or you could go for something more-thematic:

The scoops & side covers painted the same as the bodywork really make the VMax engine 'pop.' Which reminds me, why have we seen so-few polished or natural-tone engines? WIth a darker body color, that would really make the engine prominent. Not everyone is gonna drop $2K for the 'window' engine side covers in natural aluminum billet. I just may have to try soda-blasting my engine covers to see what they would look like natural.

johnp, I really like that intake set up, is it functional? Did it help???
Midmo, I really like the looks of that.
BIG QUESTION, I put everything back on today, and I'm liking the look thus far, BUT I didn't put the metal fender back on underneath it. Is that a problem? I used a larger washer to hold the bolts onto the frame. My idea for the plate is to just bolt it into the side of the sissy bar and bend it so it shows, and have it run verticle, just behind the right shock. I might just do that... The frames look cool, and I think I saw a cool one on....... ..... UFO? But, I want to commute tomorrow, and it will look ok bent to the side I think??? Kinda ghetto, but that flies with license plates right?

Here in FL the police will take the opportunity to enrich the local revenue stream because you modded the license plate by 1] recessing it into the recesses of your inner fender, 2] mounting it sideways by the axle w/no lighting, 3] bending your mounting bracket almost parallel w/the ground, making it illegible to anyone behind you, 4] having some-sort of a plate hinge so you can move the plate out-of-view. All of these are equipment violations because they do not allow LEO's to easily-read your plate, including traffic cameras.

Back