Charging battery with leads connected

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Charging odyssey battery with leads connected

Can I 2 amp charge my odyssey battery with the leads on? Or bad Idea?

Thanks

Last edited:
If you mean leaving the pos and neg cables attached while charging then yes. I have been doing this on all my bikes forever. Now I have never had a FI or otherwise computer controlled bike so I would read the manual on those bikes.

I do on both the Analog 89 and Digital 94 Vmax's.. Odyssey's are great batteries...

Another +
I never take the battery out, just charge it while it's hot. No problems for decades.

Cool.. Thanks guys. Better safe than sorry. Yea the odyssey battery's are worth the money imo.

I've never had problems charging with leads connected, on any of my vehicles including the sea-doo, which has a computerized ECU.

You're having to charge an Odyssey? That must be a first...lol

The Odyssey in my 89 reads 12.71 static, the 94 reads 12.9.. That's not bad
for battery's that have sat overnight....:biglaugh: The one in the 94 is a few months old.
The one in the 89 got handed down from the 94 and it's 4 years or so old....

I did so much starting when trying to get the carbs right, I've had to charge both
of them at some point.. No Problemo....

One of my Odyssey's is down to 12.5v
Iv read that 2 amp wont charge it , only maintain a charge. I don't want to over load my charging system. Can I recharge it using 12 amp? And which mode? Maintenance free deep cycle, or conventional low Maintenance?

Thanks!

I need to buy a oddyssey charger. Mine does not follow the guide lines stated on the link you provided.:bang head: Its not on the approved charger list I now see.

The charger thinks the battery is fully charged at 12.5v and keeps turning off and on.

The second oddyssey 680 I bought last year is 12.6v but it was charged with the same charger.. I probably screwed it up. Sulphates.

I called Oddyssey and was told I could drop the voltage down to 10v with the headlight which is considered drained. Then charge again. This removes the Sulphates and would help the longevity.

Will running it with 12.5v tax the stator?
:confused2:

Originally Posted by rebar: Will running it with 12.5v tax the stator?
confused24.gif

It shouldn't because a normal battery will read less than that......

I just ordered a batteryminder which charges all types of 12v batteries. Check out the ratings at batterymart and amazon.

Sounds like a very good charger. Good Luck with it....:biglaugh:

I've been fighting with both of my truck batteries. My trucks go with me very seldom. Both were holding only about 12.1 volts after charging. After the drain and recharge properly, one is holding 12.6 and the other 12.4.

I have 2 boat batteries that are approaching 10 years each. Both are sealed batteries. Both hold 12.7 after charge. I have always charged them as soon as they dip to 12.4.

Latest posts

Back