Charging Question (NOT Vmax Related)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
So my buddy is mostly finished building this Kawasuki, a '74 750cc Kawasaki triple 2-stroke motor in a '94 Suzuki GXR750 frame. Looks (& sounds!!) pretty sharp as you can see. Still working out some jetting issues but this question is about the charging system problem he is having.
The bike is over charging. 13-14.5v at idle but 16+ reving it up. He has a brand new battery and has swapped out the '74 regulator for a new after market one (same results).
This bike has a seperate rectifier that seems to be working ok.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to check next?

Maybe the multimeter? Try using a known accurate one, to verify the voltage.
Other than that, is the regulator grounded to a clean surface? Perhaps even try a separate ground wire, directly to the battery negative post.
One more thought - I remember my '72 650 Yam. had an adjustable regulator.
Would this be the case with the Kaw. unit?
Cheers!

I like the bike! Very unique!

Could this bike be converted to a mosfet R/R unit? If it's 3-phase AC, you'd think it would be feasable....

All the above suggestions should steer him down the right path. I just wanted to commend his work on the restoration. Always fun to have a bike that makes people go "that looks great, what is it?"

Maybe the multimeter? Try using a known accurate one, to verify the voltage.
Other than that, is the regulator grounded to a clean surface? Perhaps even try a separate ground wire, directly to the battery negative post.
One more thought - I remember my '72 650 Yam. had an adjustable regulator.
Would this be the case with the Kaw. unit?
Cheers!

I like the bike! Very unique!

Thanks some suggestions.

The meter is good. It's mine & I use it all the time.
The ground is at the frame on top of another ground lug. But a quick jump to the battery won't hurt to try.
Will check on an adjustment.

Big fan of the 2 stroke tripples........Especially the Kawai H2's..........Looks cool!..............Tom.

Big fan of the 2 stroke triples........Especially the Kawai H2's..........Looks cool!..............Tom.

These triples came on the scene when I was a youngin' - still in school, dreaming of owning a motorcycle, and when a big bike was a 650 British twin.
I can still remember the noise when one was approaching, the streetdrags, and the many accidents and deaths. They were known as "widowmakers"

It's funny because it looks like the bikes in between races & levels in my mid-80's video game Road Rash that I play all the time :clapping:

Back