Cheapest tire source?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i do bike bandit....

$145 for both shinko's, delivered, 4 days later...

Somebody is going to say this, so I'll get there first :biglaugh:

Cheap tires are like cheap condoms. They might be pretty good, but considering the consequences, pretty good ain't enough. Chaparral generally has good prices on Metzlers.

Cheap tires are like cheap condoms. They might be pretty good, but considering the consequences, pretty good ain't enough. Chaparral generally has good prices on Metzlers.
If you're buying Metzlers check to see where they were made. They have been reported to have issues with tires coming from Brazil, seems that they can develop small cracks all around the perimeter of the sidewall. The tires from Germany do not have issues. Might check with Metzler to see what their current position is on this.

you referring to shinko's or just looking for a cheap tire in general?

cheap as in price..Yes I was looking at Metzelers so thanks for the tip on the Brasil made ones I've got Sportec M3s now which are great..Ron Ayers cheapest so far out of the ones mentioned here

I just ordered a ME880 from ronayers. I emailed them asking where they get their Metzeler's....I'll reply once I get a response.

I just ordered a ME880 from ronayers. I emailed them asking where they get their Metzeler's....I'll reply once I get a response.

Man I hope mine didn't come from brazil.:confused2: I just got them less than a year ago from ronayers.com. Best price I could find on the interwebs

If you're buying Metzlers check to see where they were made. They have been reported to have issues with tires coming from Brazil, seems that they can develop small cracks all around the perimeter of the sidewall. The tires from Germany do not have issues. Might check with Metzler to see what their current position is on this.

The set of metzlers I have on my bike now are both from Brazil. 8000+ miles with no issues. Tires look like new with a little less tread depth.

I read that thread with the cracking sidewalls. (can't remember where) The tires they were having problems with had the white sidewall and that's where the cracks were.

Also every time I need new Metz tires, I search every where I can, and always end up getting the best deal to my door with RonAyres.

Joe

Another vote for Shinko/BikeBandit here. I know they are "the new kid on the block" , but they are acually Yokohama tires. My stock size Shinkos needed very little weight to balance & ride smooth as silk. I'm just a street rider, but there's at least one wild-man on this site who races them and swears by them. I think Dunlop Qualifier white-letters look the coolest, but they are big bucks. just my .02...

Another vote for Shinko/BikeBandit here. I know they are "the new kid on the block" , but they are acually Yokohama tires. My stock size Shinkos needed very little weight to balance & ride smooth as silk. I'm just a street rider, but there's at least one wild-man on this site who races them and swears by them. I think Dunlop Qualifier white-letters look the coolest, but they are big bucks. just my .02...

yet to ride on my shinko's but the dunlop rear is about the price of both shinko's and i only got 3k miles out of my dunlop, and thats with no (intentional) burnouts..

I think Dunlop Qualifier white-letters look the coolest, but they are big bucks. just my .02...

Just googled 'em, you're right those do look tits, and not much more than metzlers. I imagine they get nowhere near the mileage tho :(

Bike bandit has pretty dang good prices,....

I hate having to take tires to someone and have them mounted tho' when I didn't buy them there, the rate is usually higher and wipes out the savings I got by going mail order.....

Would love to start mounting and balancing my own tires but haven't yet

Bike bandit has pretty dang good prices,....

I hate having to take tires to someone and have them mounted tho' when I didn't buy them there, the rate is usually higher and wipes out the savings I got by going mail order.....

Would love to start mounting and balancing my own tires but haven't yet
alot of guys are having luck with dynabeads.. could try that out..

also, i bring my rims places and they'll mount them for 20-30 apiece.. is that still pricey?

I pay 20.00 for a tire swap out and high speed balance at my local stealers.

Yes Shinkos are the best bang for the buck as for as performance and grip wet / dry then come the metzlers which arent far behind but they cost more!
I wouldnt put Dunlop tires on my riding tractor or use a Dunlop for a spare donut on my car..

If your a high mileage cross country touring retirery then Shinkos may not be the best as for high milege...

I will take grip over milege any day on 2 wheels..

They charge 25-30 around here if you didn't buy the tire from them, but with the prices some of the discount cyle tire places in the area can get me tires and mount them usually beats what I could buy them online for and have them mounted locally.....

Do dyna beads really work?

I looked at thier website but wasn't sure if it was snakeoil...???:ummm:

Seems to me like the beads might find the spot in the tires that was most fartherest away from the rotation center withouit regards to where the heavy spot was, and that the point furtherest away from the center would be the part of the tire that was heaviest and being acted upon with more centrifugal force....?????:ummm:

If we got a few testimonials from real members tho' I might try them....

Latest posts

Back