Chopping up my Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatasswilly

Reaction score
Salutations,

I've been lurking for a while now, first post!

My 2000 Vmax is my first bike, and I laid her down once (I learned the hard way that she doesn't like to corner), scratching her right intake cover and exhaust, breaking off the right turn signal, and basically fucking up her right side. :bang head:

I ended up just removing her front turn signals, both intake covers, mirrors, and whatever was scratched. However, taking components off became addictive, and I just kept removing stuff I deemed useless.

I like the look, but I have some questions for you guys before I go further.

Would removing the front fender affect handling negatively? I'm not too worried about rain, I live in the desert :)

Also, I'm seriously considering removing her muffler and leaving it off. Would this hurt the engine? If I do this, do I need to rejet the carbs?

I'm also considering removing the instrument cluster . . . :punk:

Attachments

• Vmax.jpg
    Vmax.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 144
Removing the mufflers from and type of vehicle and leaving the header bare will blow your engine.. u might be able to get a deal on a used exhaust from kyle or Sean on here

You do need the fork brace, removing the muffler will probably hurt the performance, removing the gauge cluster the fuel pump will only run in the res position

The front fender is simply there for rain protection and looks, feel free to toss it if you don't like it. However DO NOT remove the fork crossover brace it is bolted to, this is part of the strength of the fork(which is already marginal at best).

An open header will make the motor run like crap, in addition to being insanely loud.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I figured removing the muffler would affect performance. Guess it stays on until I order a new one. How would I get in contact with Kyle / Sean to see if they have an extra used one?

You got to let me sell you a new set of brake lines!! Those suckers are really sticking out there with the clamp on's you have.

Sean

Well, there is something to be said for the 'stripped' look. A throwback to the early 1950's when that was how bikes were modded, throw-out the factory crap & run it lean light (relatively-speaking) and 'bare.'

Now the negatives-
1] running no fender will throw all-sorts of crap off the road into your radiator, the front of the engine below that, & up into your face. Don't believe it? Take off your fender & ride through a long puddle. If you consider that your "Sat. nite bath," that may prove refreshing
2] all your electrical components are then exposed to the elements and thievery/vandalism. People will f___ w/your bike because it's there and they can. My advice-keep it covered. The airhorns may not scoop much cooling air to the engine intake or across the cyl head, but they do hide the electrics. Price a new ignition module and you may change your mind
3] if you want an automatic nomination into the 'rat class' wherever you go, this mod will earn that for you
4] the look of your bike is iconic. Few bikes are in-production as-long, and it's still considered 'bad-ass' looking, ask anyone you meet if you ride on a stocker what they think of the bike, especially if it's idling, w/a Stage 7 jet kit & a Kerker 4/1
5] yes, your bike, yes, your choice, post-up what you do and we'll all learn your taste (please note I am not classifying a stripped bike as automatically bad taste, despite the header prefacing this list)

You got to let me sell you a new set of brake lines!! Those suckers are really sticking out there with the clamp on's you have.

Sean

I'm planning on buying a low mileage 'max soon so I can take this one apart and use her for parts (and hopefully learn a thing or two).

So I'll probably need new brake lines then, because I love these handlebars (they're clubmans :thumbs up:). I do want a new muffler though, you got a spare one you can sell me?

It needs the scoops to stop all the crap getting it as others have noted.
Apart from a tidy here and there it looks pretty mean, I like it!

one would call that bike a `naked naked`

good luck,
evan...

I'm a big fan on the stock look but I like where you're going with this one, you could go with a set of blacked out slip on's, this will do nothing in the performance dept but will give you a nasty rumble and tighten things up down low, you could black out the fork brace and scoops as well to help blend them in too, maybe a bobber look for the tail section.........Sky's the limit, keep us updated!.............Tom.

I'm planning on buying a low mileage 'max soon so I can take this one apart and use her for parts (and hopefully learn a thing or two).

So I'll probably need new brake lines then, because I love these handlebars (they're clubmans :thumbs up:). I do want a new muffler though, you got a spare one you can sell me?

How comfortable are them handle bars?? Im debating what type to get.. I like the looks! But want comfort I ride 100 miles a day round trip to work. Im 6'4" so I gots me some long monkey arms :rofl_200:

if you want the scoops to blend it, you could always cheaply rattlecan them black.

Salutations,

I've been lurking for a while now, first post!

My 2000 Vmax is my first bike, and I laid her down once (I learned the hard way that she doesn't like to corner), scratching her right intake cover and exhaust, breaking off the right turn signal, and basically fucking up her right side. :bang head:

I ended up just removing her front turn signals, both intake covers, mirrors, and whatever was scratched. However, taking components off became addictive, and I just kept removing stuff I deemed useless.

I like the look, but I have some questions for you guys before I go further.

Would removing the front fender affect handling negatively? I'm not too worried about rain, I live in the desert :)

Also, I'm seriously considering removing her muffler and leaving it off. Would this hurt the engine? If I do this, do I need to rejet the carbs?

I'm also considering removing the instrument cluster . . . :punk:

I know Kyle has a used Hindle full exhaust in pretty decent condition.

Check here:

http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=24004

Paint the scoops flat black and get black brake lines. The bike will look even better........ Maybe even a different seat???

Lew

Last edited:
Back