Cold no start!!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbybob

Reaction score
I parked my 85 max about 4 days ago,and went to start it today,and no go!:bang head:The starter is spinning the motor over,but its not cranking up.So,after little investigation,i find that i am not getting fire to any of my plugs.Ive checked all the fuses,and they all check out fine.I rode this bike into my barn 4 days ago,and it has done nothing but sit there,and i have no idea as to what it could be.Any help will be greatly appreciated as always!!

Check your sidestand relay. It's mounted to front of ignitor bracket near ignition coils.

Will do! Now is that the front or rear coils that its mounted near? ??

You might want to check voltage of battery while starter is turning engine over, if it drops to 10 volts or lower, your igniter box does not have enough voltage to fire the coils.

Front coils. If the battery is 10 volts you might get one turnover.

Ok...Thanks alot.The battery is fine,and spins the motor like a top.......just NO CRANKIE!!...lol:rofl_200:

i ALSO , I'D CLICK YOUR KILL SWITCH ON & OFF 10 TIMES , MAYBE A BAD CONNECTION ? . :confused2:

It seems to be working fine.If i turn the key on,and then the kill switch,i can hear the fuel pump turn on and pump....

Are you sure you are not getting fire? I would try without the air filter being in the airbox in case it is an air flow issue.

Also top the charge of your battery off from all that cranking.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

This gremlin haunted me off/on for a couple years. Very frustrating. Always turned over great as if the battery was fine. If it ever tried to fire, it would do so right at the point where I let go of the starter button, while the motor was still spinning, but NEVER tried to fire while I had that button depressed.

I went to the larger battery box mod, installed the bigger battery, and have never experienced this phenomenon again.

I figure it had something to do with the starter relay robbing voltage from the CDI box.

You can try it with the sidestand relay unplugged, if it is the sidestand relay, beware the bike will run with out it but the bike will start in gear with the sidestand down

Are you sure you are not getting fire? I would try without the air filter being in the airbox in case it is an air flow issue.

Also top the charge of your battery off from all that cranking.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Yeah.I used an inline spark tester,and there is NO fire at all...

This gremlin haunted me off/on for a couple years. Very frustrating. Always turned over great as if the battery was fine. If it ever tried to fire, it would do so right at the point where I let go of the starter button, while the motor was still spinning, but NEVER tried to fire while I had that button depressed.

I went to the larger battery box mod, installed the bigger battery, and have never experienced this phenomenon again.

I figure it had something to do with the starter relay robbing voltage from the CDI box.

I havent had that problem with this one,but i did have that EXACT problem with a 300 Lakota about a week ago.Thanks!!
:clapping:

I thought if the sidestand relay wasn't working properly, the bike would not crank at all. Is this not correct?

I've had a time or two over the years when I'd jump on, turn on the key, and not get any crank whatsoever. I'd first check the clutch switch. No change. Then I'd put the side stand back down, then back up before getting the starter to even begin cranking.

Back