Concerns,,,,Cataract Surgery Next 2 Weeks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Concerns,,,,Cataract Surgery Next 2 Weeks, Update 8/15

I'm having Cataract Surgery on one eye next week, the other the following week. I'm getting upgrade lenses because I need to see the best I possibly can for the work I do, Shooting. Accommodating lenses. Anyone else had this type of lens done and how did they work out. They flex with the muscles in the eye to allow focus from up close to long distance. Dr. is a shooter and told me this is my best option. Will they likely correct astigmatism, mine is pretty bad. Dr. told me my eyes are about perfect except for the Cataracts. What else can you tell me?:ummm::confused2:

Help me Brothers.....

Last edited:
I'm having Cataract Surgery on one eye next week, the other the following week. I'm getting upgrade lenses because I need to see the best I possibly can for the work I do, Shooting. Accommodating lenses. Anyone else had this type of lens done and how did they work out. They flex with the muscles in the eye to allow focus from up close to long distance. Dr. is a shooter and told me this is my best option. Will they likely correct astigmatism, mine is pretty bad. Dr. told me my eyes are about perfect except for the Cataracts. What else can you tell me?:ummm::confused2:

Help me Brothers.....

I am unfamiliar with this type of surgery Spec but as a contact lens wearer seriously considering Lasik I'm curious to learn more about this technique. It is to the best of my understanding that it is the muscles in the eye that deteriorate over time and thus do not allow the lenses to focus correctly. If that's correct, I don't see (sic) how this will work. Do you have any more information to share with us myopic old farts ?

Chris.

Wrong. It is the hardening of the eyes' lens that prevents the eye muscle from pulling the lens into correct magnification for up-close work. By putting in certain new, flexible lens, and by taking extra care to attach the new lens to the existing eye muscles in all the right places, people that have had to wear reading glasses for years can now read without the magnification.

To my knowledge, an astigmatism is a flaw, or wrinkle running on the outside of your eyeball, and the lasik surgury actually trims the wrinkle(s) off the outer eyeball. Lasik surgery can only trim just so many thousandnth's of an inch off, and therefore, if your astigmatism is too bad, most eye docs will warn against trying it.

All of your eyeball's natural nerve endings controlling tearing of the eye also reside in those first few thousandth's of an inch of outer eyeball. That is why some Lasik patient's have trouble with dry eye on down the road. My eye doc warns against having it done for this very reason. I know there are now hundreds of thousands of happy Lasik customers out there though, and they can't all be suffering dry eye.

A Guy I work with just had it done a week ago. He told me " he wished he had done it years ago" He had pretty thick glasses. (lasiks)

My grandmother had cataract surgery done over 30 years ago, and it went great for her....just imagine the improvements since then.

I had it and love it didn't realize how bad mine were until I had it.Wish you the best,Hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.

$6,000.00 for the upgraded lens's + whatever they do put of the ordinary. Most of the possible extras are covered in the price of the upgraded lens's though. Anesthesiologist adds about $600.00 to the price and God Knows What Else They'll Come Up With? And, It's cash Up Front.
Insurance does cover some of the cost above what I mentioned so uninsured it would be about $13,000.00

My mom had it done at 81, and my dad at 84. They both have had failing eyesight for many years. Both had great results and wished that they hadn't waited so long to have the procedure done. Good luck with it Dave!

Ouch, Kyle just slammed you Dave. My Dad had the "Crystal" lens procedure and as a Dr., he researched it pretty well before doing it. We flew model airplanes so good vision was important. His correction made his eighty year old eyes better than mine and would spot birds far off way before I could. Conversely , I had radial keratotomy surgery in 91 to qualify for a LE position.
Now my Opthamologist tells me it was the miracle surgery back in the day and now considered one of the worst things I could have done to my eyes. My vision changes throughout the day. He can make surgical corrections every couple years til my eyes get to scarred to see and costs $3k per occurrence.
I am sure you will do well, if you quit pushing your eyeballs back into your sockets twisting the throttle on Strafer! Good luck buddy.

Ouch, Kyle just slammed you Dave. My Dad had the "Crystal" lens procedure and as a Dr., he researched it pretty well before doing it. We flew model airplanes so good vision was important. His correction made his eighty year old eyes better than mine and would spot birds far off way before I could. Conversely , I had radial keratotomy surgery in 91 to qualify for a LE position.
Now my Opthamologist tells me it was the miracle surgery back in the day and now considered one of the worst things I could have done to my eyes. My vision changes throughout the day. He can make surgical corrections every couple years til my eyes get to scarred to see and costs $3k per occurrence.
I am sure you will do well, if you quit pushing your eyeballs back into your sockets twisting the throttle on Strafer! Good luck buddy.
Had to give Dave a hard time. I think he knows I am just BSing

Tell the doc that the mod monkey want you to install the night vision lenses, then we can rename you SpecNiteOp13. Better get them eyes fixed. We still gotta do a ride brother

Tell the doc that the mod monkey want you to install the night vision lenses, then we can rename you SpecNiteOp13. Better get them eyes fixed. We still gotta do a ride brother

Soon as my Surgeries are over we'll get together. Having some troubles with my 94 right now but SkullDuggery can come out and play.:rofl_200:

Doctor will tell you don't rub them peepers after sugery,I just had new lenses,Standard sugery,Still need those readers.Mine went quick and my catraratcs were bad,Wish you the best dave.

Thanx for the wishes and reassurance. I'm leaving for the first (Left Eye) surgery about 9 AM East Coast time. it's the worst cataract. The Doc says the actual surgery is about 10-15 minutes but we'll be there about 3 hours total. I'm taking my own Pirate Patch.:rofl_200:

Back