coolant draining--"ON/OFF" plug position

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-max boy

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and am wondering if anyone can help me out. I decided to attempt to do some maintenance by myself on my '92 V-max last weekend (I know, could be a dangerous proposition!) Before I read the manual (I know, could be dangerous...) I saw the plastic "what looked like bolt head" thing below the radiator and thought that might be the drain plug, so I removed the small, Phillips screw that appeared to be a locking screw and attempted to unscrew the plastic bolt. When it didn't unscrew, I, like a numskull, simply used some pliers to pull it out. Once it was out, I was able to examine it and realized my mistake. I put it back in, reinstalled the screw, then decided to read the instructions which I found online (D'oh!)

After following all the directions, things seem to be fine, except I'm not sure how to tell if the plastic bolt-head-like thing is in the on or off position. I think it should be "off" for normal riding, but I can't find any mark with which to align the "off" arrow on the head of the plastic bolt head. How do I know if the plastic bolt head is in the right position for riding?

If anyone could contact me at my email [email protected] and help me out, I'd sure appreciate it.

Oh, by the way, after it was all put back together, I found a small, stiff spring on the floor. It's about 3/8" long and maybe 1/16" in diameter. Whether it came out of the cooling system somehow, I know not. If anyone knows of what I might have done to cause a spring to appear, let me know that, too!

I appreciate your help.

Chris

Chris,

E-Mail sent, Welcome to the VMax Forum....

Dave

Added: Dan-o, beat me again, between the 2 of us he should be alright...

On on the left, Off on the right.

DrainValve.jpg

I found a spring also and mine wouldnt drain unless I took it all the way out.How do I get the spring and ball back together?.

Put spring in hold first, then hold ball in place. Carefully press drain valve back into housing.

It works the same way the little ball on the square drive of a ratchet wrench holds a socket in place.....except that ball won't fall out.

Thanks guys .Got it back together took it for a spin in 80 degree heat and the temp gauge never went past half way.

Welcome to the forums and you are in good hands. Many long term owners here and any mistake you could have made has been made, and there is a story to go with it.

Back