Coolent leak from weep hole

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampfox357

Reaction score
Hi all, I have 1986 Vmax. The problem is that the small hole below the spark plug channel is leaking coolent after it warms up. It is on the side of the cylinder head. Does any know where the coolent is coming for and how bad is it to fix. Thank for your help.

Sounds like the orings on the crossover water pipe are bad. That is the pipe behind your spark plug with the dowl pin holding it in. Sometimes they can be a bear to get out. You need some good duckbill pliers to get a hold of it and twist and pull and hope it comes out. There are 3 orings on it replace them all.

He is talking about the side plates not the top one i think. The ones you remove with a sparkplug and are behind the rectangular plates

I think it's either the crossover pipe OR the coolant hose connection on the top of the heads - just tightening the hose clamp might solve your issue

The drain hole plugs behind the cylinder plates can also leak but I don't think your description matches this

Ok, the hole I am talking about it is on the right side front cylinder head sitting on the bike. It is above the rectanguler plate on side of the head. It is the one I'm pointing to on the image. I guess I should have posted that on the first post lol. It will be fine until it warms up then cooent will start come out of that hole and running down the finns on the side of the head. That coolent joint is on the opposite side of the head from the hole that is leaking.

Attachments

• vmax head.bmp
    99.4 KB · Views: 40
That hole drains water from filling up in the spark plug area. So if antifreeze is coming out of there it's because it's falling in there from above. Gotta check hoses/plumbing in the area right around/above the spark plug.

Ok, the hole I am talking about it is on the right side front cylinder head sitting on the bike. It is above the rectanguler plate on side of the head. It is the one I'm pointing to on the image. I guess I should have posted that on the first post lol. It will be fine until it warms up then cooent will start come out of that hole and running down the finns on the side of the head. That coolent joint is on the opposite side of the head from the hole that is leaking.
OK is is most likely waht I said to start with it could be the hose up there but from my experiance its usually the water crossover pipe. Make sure you drain the coolant before you remove it.

I found a leak on the back side of the coolent manfold on the top behind the scoop. It was draining down the pipe and runing down the plug wire. I cut the hose back reattached and ran it with no more leak. It appear that it was storing it over in the hole over night. As it would warm up it boil it out. I may not have caught it but I painted my exhaust so I let it idle to cure the paint. That is when i saw it. lol

I found a leak on the back side of the coolent manfold on the top behind the scoop. It was draining down the pipe and runing down the plug wire. I cut the hose back reattached and ran it with no more leak. It appear that it was storing it over in the hole over night. As it would warm up it boil it out. I may not have caught it but I painted my exhaust so I let it idle to cure the paint. That is when i saw it. lol
That is great its much easier than the crossover pipe.

Back