COP harness question, and a special thank you.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazwell

Reaction score
First, the question I have is, what length do people make the connectors to go from the loom to the COP's? :ummm:

Secondly, I have been having a lot of "fun" trying to work out exactly how to route my wiring harness back into the bike (as well as hoses etc etc etc).
I pulled it apart ages ago, and have also completely unwrapped the harness to do some repairs and mods, and wrapped it back up again. I have an electronic Yamaha manual, and a printed (Haynes?) manual. I also took pictures of things as they came apart.

The best thing I have found to help me work out how things go, is the How to's done by Ninjaneer. The pictures in those are awesome, and are the only way I have been able to get things back together.

For this, I would like to say a big thank you to Ninjaneer! :biglaugh:

Do you want pictures? I have tapatalk app so I could post pictures here but can't figure it out. I can send them to an email address. Just remember the big parts can only go one way. Buy a bag of black zip ties too. You can always cutoff the ones you find excessive. We'll get you going!
PATMAX

First, the question I have is, what length do people make the connectors to go from the loom to the COP's?
i don't remember the lengths of mine. matter of fact i don't even think i used anything to measure out the length of wire--just ran the wires and cut them to length. looking at the pic i posted (http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?a...pictureid=5493), i would say that my shorter ones are about 15 inches and the longest one is 25 inches.

...I also took pictures of things as they came apart.
this is prolly the single best thing any one can and should do

The best thing I have found to help me work out how things go, is the How to's done by Ninjaneer. The pictures in those are awesome, and are the only way I have been able to get things back together.
For this, I would like to say a big thank you to Ninjaneer!
thanks for the kind words. i'm very happy that what i had to offer is as useful as you say

I have to agree those howto are great. So many things you wont see in a manual.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Do you want pictures? I have tapatalk app so I could post pictures here but can't figure it out. I can send them to an email address. Just remember the big parts can only go one way. Buy a bag of black zip ties too. You can always cutoff the ones you find excessive. We'll get you going!
PATMAX

That's nice, but it's OK.

I mean just little things, like which side of what does the wire go. Over or under? I can connect it all up, but making it fit just right is damn near impossible without some of the pics on here!

Fitted mine last week using harness of R6 which came with the COP's. Cut off the multiplug connector and stipped the harness down so the 4 COP connectors had just their 2 wires 10" long which gave plenty of slack for routing with to much excess. I used 4 new Sumitomo LOCK Type .250" Connectors which fit the standard coil connectors in the main harness. You can just use female spade connectors and heatshrink for a cheaper solution. I removed one coil at a time and connected up with replacement COP (front ones cross over). Looks OEM fit and works well.
Link for connectors http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/250_Connectors/250_connectors.html

Scroll down to half way for connector pic's & price
See my post for picture of COP

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21139 fitted

The mod monkey has caught me and my wallet is getting thin :punk:

Cheers MMP,

I'm doing the same thing, but with CBR929 coils. I haven't got the connectors and I've already changed the loom, so I'm going to hard wire it in.

I keep bawking because I'm unsure of the length to add, and it makes sense to solder the wires before I put the loom in. I think 10" is a bit longer than I thought, but I can't tell yet which way the wires will be routed. Stupid circular logic keep sneaking up behind me and saying "Don't do it. What if they aren't long/short enough?"

So maybe I'll just do 10".
I wonder how long the fancy looking ones that are for sale on this forum are? *hint hint people* :biglaugh:

if you guys want the connectors to the coils. I will sell you the connectors for less than the Eastern beaver guy. He is hosing you guys! Any connector that you require please let me know and I can do less it is easy!

Thanks G

if you guys want the connectors to the coils. I will sell you the connectors for less than the Eastern beaver guy. He is hosing you guys! Any connector that you require please let me know and I can do less it is easy!

Thanks G

G, u r da man! I only wish I had the presence of mind to've asked u 'fore I bought mine from beaver. I should've known. O well

regards from my tapatalking android...

Thanks G

Totally! PM sent. :biglaugh:

Cheers MMP,

I'm doing the same thing, but with CBR929 coils. \

You made it a lot harder on yourself. 929's use the older, "long" style of coil. They're fairly difficult to get on the plug just due to how far they stick up. You'll probably also need to support them somehow, either by modifying the stock wire guides, or rigging something up.

Shorter coils are found on pretty much everything except the Honda 9xx bikes. Any I4 will do. They're cake to get on the plugs.

I got the COP harness with the sticks from the donor R6, cut the connectors out of it, and then just cut/spliced those connectors in place of the stock yellow ones. Red crimp connectors and liquid tape, done in 10 minutes. No problems in over 2 years and 15k miles. The COP connectors are universal as well....the R6 connectors fit the GSXR coils just fine.

I'm getting a set for mine, so I'll let you know when they get here!

Hey G,

Did you get a length? Or has anybody else?
It's too hot to go in the bloody shed, so I figure I'll make some COP connectors.

I just cut the connectors off the old coils, soldered and heatshrunk the connections. I used 3 pcs. of shrink per coil. One per wire, then a larger and longer one over the two connections.

I left the dead front original coils on the bike until I have a better reason to piss myself off trying to get them out of there......

Back