Correct oil pressure reading..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dezeez

Reaction score
I just installed one of the oil pressure guages that connects to the threaded opening in the crankcase by the oil level window and was wondering what a normal reading is. it's a stock 2000 motor and I was surprised to see the reading vary so much with the engine rpm.

I don't remember ever having a oil pressure guage on any of my bikes but the one's I've seen on cars don't vary as much as this one does. I go from about 10 psi to 50 psi depending on rpm.

I know there' been a problem with the oring down at the pump elbow. If this oring is not seated correctly, what are the symtoms?

Dennis,

Those numbers are not too shabby to be honest. At idle, once warmed up, you may only see 4-8 psi and then avg ~10psi/1k rpm or so up to ~60 where the bypass/relief valve internal to the engine will open. As your oil breaks down with use your pressure will also drop off a bit ( I have noted a ~5psi difference between new oil and used oil @ 4k rpm ).

use the gauge more for if its showing pressure or not...other then that it causes worry for nothing

Thanks guys, I freaked a little bit when I saw such a wide range in pressure readings. Never saw a car gauge do that and like I said, never had one on a bike.

I think most vehicle gauges are set up to only show specific ranges and are dampened to keep people from freaking out with major fluctuations. My Miata gauge (2nd Gen) really did not show a range of pressure even though it looked like a normal gauge. It was more like an on/off switch, only showing normal pressure or dangerously low pressure. The forums showed methods to convert it to a real gauge.

Sounds normal to me. I have all aftermarket gauges in my Mustang and the oil pressure gauge does exactly what you explaned. Nothing to worry about.

I've got a glycerin filled guage that I bench tested at work and know that it's accurate....

My 99 shows 1-3 psi at idle when the bike's OIL is full temp, which takes about 25 minutes of riding.....having the water temp up to normal doesn't mean the oil is fully hot as well...

Running 15-40wt oil I'm seeing about 38psi at 4500rpm when the oil is fresh, when it's about ready for a change it drops to about 32-33 psi at 4500 rpm....

When the oil is fully hot it'll peak at around 40psi when I push the rpms up past 6000...

My pressure relief is working at 60psi as that is the maximum it'll make even when cold

I think you're numbers are fine.....

Thanks again everyone. I'm running 20-50wt so my numbers are slightly different but very much in the same range as the numbers mentioned here.

What scared me was the straight 50+ reading at first until the oil reached operating temperature and then the fluctuations. I had just changed the oil, filter, the middle gear cover and installed the gauge so I thought I had a leak and had blown the oil out on the way to get gas.

I am running Castrol 20W/50 Motorcycle Blend Oil.

These numbers are when the oil is up to operating temp.

Idle (1500)= 8PSI
And 10 for each 1K RPM Maxed at 60PSI.
Example.

3500 RPM's 35-36 PSI
5500 RPM's 55-58 PSI

If I use the Yamaha 20/50 I get about 3-5 PSI more.:confused2:

I'll have to show my actual numbers when i get a chance.

As far as using the gauge for troubleshooting, does anyone know what readings we would get if we had a problem, for example, the oring seating problem at the pump? Obviously if the oil leaked out or the pump blew we would have 0 psi but how much lower than normal would be a problem?

i've got a glycerin filled guage that i bench tested at work and know that it's accurate....

My 99 shows 1-3 psi at idle when the bike's oil is full temp, which takes about 25 minutes of riding.....having the water temp up to normal doesn't mean the oil is fully hot as well...

Running 15-40wt oil i'm seeing about 38psi at 4500rpm when the oil is fresh, when it's about ready for a change it drops to about 32-33 psi at 4500 rpm....

When the oil is fully hot it'll peak at around 40psi when i push the rpms up past 6000...

My pressure relief is working at 60psi as that is the maximum it'll make even when cold

i think you're numbers are fine.....
he's right , next time you guy's start your bikes ( after sitting all night ) , let it run until your cooling fan comes on & you can hold your hand on your oil pan & its only luke warm !

Why would anyone want to mount the oil pressure gauge at there foot? Do you really look down at the water pump cover when your ripping??

Most engine failures happen at high RPM this is when you have a chance to save the engine from chewing the crank up to bad.

When it starts ticking you have low oil pressure.

Why would anyone want to mount the oil pressure gauge at there foot? Do you really look down at the water pump cover when your ripping??

AMEN!!!!! That is why my oil pressure gauge resides right next to the speedo. At 140+ the last thing on my mind is looking down at my foot LOL.

I am thinking about mounting my low fuel warning light on my rear fender this way my buddy will see it and I wont have to motion for him to stop for gas he can tell me.:rofl_200:

Most engine failures happen at high RPM this is when you have a chance to save the engine from chewing the crank up to bad.

When it starts ticking you have low oil pressure.[/QUOTE

I like to be able to see mine also, but in all honesty, when really riding it hard who the hell is looking at the instrumets?

Yeah, we look when we are wanting to see how things are doing but in all likely hood things are going to shit when you're not looking and it'll be too late anyway.......

I like to be able to see mine also, but in all honesty, when really riding it hard who the hell is looking at the instrumets?

Yeah, we look when we are wanting to see how things are doing but in all likely hood things are going to shit when you're not looking and it'll be too late anyway.......[/quote]

Well my gauges are in my view when I am riding and racing. When my first motor let loose at the top of fourth running 130+ MPH I seen my oil pressure gauge drop to 0 thats when I pulled in the clutch. Imagine if I stayed in the gas and at that high of an RPM if I didnt pull the clutch in. I would have most likely slung the rod through the cases causing an oil slick in front of my rear tire at a 130+
I am always monitoring my Oil and monster tach.
Hey I am just asking a question thats all. Take it easy man!!
But hey if you like to look at your oil pressure gauge when your lacing up your MX boots before riding all power to you!

Back