Corrosion question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have used S100 for cleaning bike from some local suggesting with decent success (willing to get more advice on this). However, I have also noticed some corrosion on bolts (look at photo for example).
Should I just use something to coat with oil after a certain amount of washes or change washing process with different products?
Apologies for stupid questions but busy much of the time with 5 kids. I commute on VMAX to get some enjoyment between work and home obligations and little time to care for bike which I also store outside with cover overnight when not riding. I want to keep the bike in decent condition with no more than 1 hour maintenance each week (just that busy).
Time is priceless in my life…

IMG_8031.jpegIMG_7916.jpegIMG_8012.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8012.jpeg
    IMG_8012.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
That isn't corrosion. It's oxidation. I'll bet a million dollars I don't have that the "cleaner" you used stripped off the protective outer layer of the bolt heads and that's why they're oxidizing.

The best thing to do is replace them. The option to that is to use either some CRC spray lube or some WD40. Lightly stray them and then use a paper towel to wipe the excess overspray off the paint. Do not wipe the bolts. Let the spray dry on them and that will help.

Until you replace them though, you'll be doing that the rest of the life of the bike once or twice a year.

Never, ever use anything other than plain old soap and a soft scrub brush to clean your engine unless you're stripping it to repaint it.

The best thing to do is replace them. The option to that is to use either some CRC spray lube or some WD40. Lightly stray them and then use a paper towel to wipe the excess overspray off the paint. Do not wipe the bolts. Let the spray dry on them and that will help.

I was thinking about WD40 or something like it but was curious if someone else had better than that. 🤔
Well, I guess S100 is only good for Harley bikes? I have never had one, but the spray on and spray off looked easy, but I should have known it was too good to be true. :rolleyes:

I've never used S100 cleaner, but the S100 Engine Brightener works really well. It leaves a coating of glossy oil on your engine... And smells fantastic! I would suggest giving it a try. I think it's what you are looking for.... Similar to WD40 but stays much longer. It's expensive though, $18 a can. There is also a generic that works just as well. Search on Amazon for "moto black mc53000"

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Brite-M...4932&sprefix=moto+black+mc53000,aps,95&sr=8-1

Do not use WD 40. It,s not a lubricant and offers no protection.

That is incorrect.

WD 40 contains a blend of lubricants and anti-oxidation agents. It also contains cleaning chemicals, hence the WD in its name. WD stands for Water Displacement. The carrier cleaner evaporates leaving the dry lubricant and anti-oxidation agents in place.

It's about the best thing you can use for oxidation like he has.

I was thinking about WD40 or something like it but was curious if someone else had better than that. 🤔
Well, I guess S100 is only good for Harley bikes? I have never had one, but the spray on and spray off looked easy, but I should have known it was too good to be true. :rolleyes:
WD40 makes a corrosion inhibitor. I've used it and it does work. However it leaves a hazy film.

John H I have seen ads and demos for acf 50. It is primarily used in the air craft industry to prevent fasteners ( rivets, nuts, bolts etc) and bare aluminum panels from oxidizing. look for it and see for yourself.
I bought a can to try out, and thanks for the info, guys!
I may have used something like this on the F-15E weapons racks when I was a 2W151 weapons loader... However, we never knew what it was called (well, I never knew the official name), with it being in unmarked bottles other than called "breaker fluid" by most on the flight line.
Remember, it was good at ensuring the weapons racks functioned at freezing temperatures (high altitude). The stuff would penetrate through the rubber gloves we used and keep everything from rusting...

ACF 50 is the stuff to use. It leaves an invisible film and protects the metal for a long time. DO NOT USE WD40. Its not a lubricant and doesn't leave a protective

Back