Crazy Mod Monkey

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

you2low

Reaction score
:bang head:That Monkey just keeps finding me:bang head: .Would someone come get him.:ummm: After all I had done already with the 200 tire and new tires and swingarm brace and seat and all the add ons i have done in the last I was just going to put new springs in the front ..:rofl_200::bang head:Now I have a list again:bang head: Now I have more polishing to do also

Attachments

• 2013-02-25_16-59-57_244.jpg
    2013-02-25_16-59-57_244.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 2013-02-25_19-06-48_550.jpg
    2013-02-25_19-06-48_550.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 2013-02-25_19-02-52_253.jpg
    2013-02-25_19-02-52_253.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 2013-02-25_18-57-29_370.jpg
    2013-02-25_18-57-29_370.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 2013-02-25_18-55-51_507.jpg
    2013-02-25_18-55-51_507.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 2013-02-25_18-58-50_115.jpg
    2013-02-25_18-58-50_115.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 2013-02-25_18-57-51_327.jpg
    2013-02-25_18-57-51_327.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 2013-02-25_19-02-31_846.jpg
    2013-02-25_19-02-31_846.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 2013-02-21_17-14-48_410.jpg
    2013-02-21_17-14-48_410.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 44
Oh my shinny!!!!!!!!! His secrect is probably snap on buffer and snap on compound :rofl_200:
That looks really nice man!

That's damn shiny! Please share some of your polishing knowlege. I can't seem to get anything to turn out that nice.
its not to hard to get that shine if you know what to use . the right buffing wheels and compound (I use 2 different compounds )and good buffing machine.. its the time thats the killer some of the vmax parts are easy to shine some parts are harder to work with but can tell you for around $150-200 you can do your whole bike that includes a good starter buffer . I will be glad to help with any info I know or help if anyone wants or need it:biglaugh:

That is an impressive shine. I have an OEM sissy bar with some spotting and wear marks. Would your polishing technique be able to turn it around or would it be best to go with powder coating or some other alternative?

It is hard to show it in the picture since a flash or light source is required and it tends to glare. Basically it is worn from rubbing/time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361848644019.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361848644019.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 26
This was one of my old bikes from about 10 years ago did the whole bike the wheels and all covers. the skull stator and clutch covers and pump i did for another bike of mine i had . I learn to Polish about 15 years ago after i had dropped my parts off at a chrome shop and they had them for 6 weeks and i called and they said not ready yet will call when ready so i called 2 weeks later and still not ready so 8 weeks later i got pissed off and went and got the parts by then spring was almost here and didnt have time to wait for another crome shop ..Sooo i learn how to polish:bang head:

Attachments

• dJ max.jpg
    dJ max.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 43
  • VMAX EBAY PICS 3 005.jpg
    VMAX EBAY PICS 3 005.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 28
  • VMAX EBAY PICS 3 002.jpg
    VMAX EBAY PICS 3 002.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 27
  • VMAX EBAY PICS 3 001.jpg
    VMAX EBAY PICS 3 001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DJ VMAX 4.jpg
    DJ VMAX 4.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 39
That is an impressive shine. I have an OEM sissy bar with some spotting and wear marks. Would your polishing technique be able to turn it around or would it be best to go with powder coating or some other alternative?

It is hard to show it in the picture since a flash or light source is required and it tends to glare. Basically it is worn from rubbing/time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Hi Tex you can easy polish that up but you have to remove your backrest and strip the clear and that is easy done with a can of paint stripper or aircraft stripper some call it. all clear coated parts are easier to polish than say like the black parts cause the clear comes off so easy. Its not as much as a polishing technique as it is have the right compounds and buffer to do it.

Oh my shinny!!!!!!!!! His secrect is probably snap on buffer and snap on compound :rofl_200:
That looks really nice man!
:rofl_200:yeah when you buy a $10,000 tool box from snap on they give you a free Snapon beach towl..:rofl_200::rofl_200: oh and a jacket:rofl_200:and then you have to fill it with tools then they give me a few hats..:rofl_200: thats why i polish my parts cause snap on takes all my money for Chrome:bang head::bang head::bang head:

My biggest problem was all the sanding. I don't have any tools to sand, I just did it by hand. I polished the lips on my wheels and it took forever. I had to start with 220 to get all the dings out. I went to 400,600, then 1000 then tripoli on a spiral sewn buff mounted to my drill, then some white stuff on a cotton buff. I bought the buffing kit from caswel. Didn't turn out anything like that. Reflections are very hazy and distorted.

I started on a differential but gave up. Too much to sand by hand. Seemed the more I sanded, the more tiny pits I found.

Curious what kind of tools you are using to sand, what grits, wheels, compound, buffer...any info appreciated. I would love to be able to shine up my engine covers like that!

Nice work.

none of these parts never seen no sanding.. first thing is throw the drill away.:biglaugh: $20 small grinder from harber freight or some where and a tight spiral wheel will work on wheel edges a drill doesnt have the power to the job.. casewell is where i get my stuff from..you need a good bench buffer to do other parts.. some parts will need some sanding like the scoops and forks but all the clear coated parts are the easiest. i will make a list of stuff that can be had for cheap ..it still takes time on the parts but they will come out nice. I did the one fork and the speedo after work today on the polishing part and sanding and smoothing the stuff yesterday for a couple hours

Attachments

• VMAX EBAY PICS 3 001.jpg
    VMAX EBAY PICS 3 001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 17
  • VMAX EBAY PICS 3 003.jpg
    VMAX EBAY PICS 3 003.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 22
  • VMAX EBAY PICS 3 004.jpg
    VMAX EBAY PICS 3 004.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 19
  • VMAX EBAY PICS 3 006.jpg
    VMAX EBAY PICS 3 006.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 18
none of these parts never seen no sanding.. first thing is throw the drill away.:biglaugh: $20 small grinder from harber freight or some where and a tight spiral wheel will work on wheel edges a drill doesnt have the power to the job.. casewell is where i get my stuff from..you need a good bench buffer to do other parts.. some parts will need some sanding like the scoops and forks but all the clear coated parts are the easiest. i will make a list of stuff that can be had for cheap ..it still takes time on the parts but they will come out nice. I did the one fork and the speedo after work today on the polishing part and sanding and smoothing the stuff yesterday for a couple hours

What about doing a HOW TO guide for polishing in order not to get all this good info scattered all over the place? Are you up to the job? Admins can then sticky it for everyone to check and use info accordingly... I also do polishing and i always like to know new techniques in order to improve and your polishing looks very good indeed...

:rofl_200:yeah when you buy a $10,000 tool box from snap on they give you a free Snapon beach towl..:rofl_200::rofl_200: oh and a jacket:rofl_200:and then you have to fill it with tools then they give me a few hats..:rofl_200: thats why i polish my parts cause snap on takes all my money for Chrome:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Bahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahaha deffinently do a how to on polishing!!!! I did a bunch on my bike but don't look as nice as this!!!! Your scoops turn out this good??? Maybe forks aren't cast aluminum??

Wow sweet can you post pics of the tools you used, I may try this my self.

I did my kz1000 front forks by hand and some motor parts it took me 4 days, for
me about 3 to 4 hours a day.

kzframe1.jpg

Last edited:
I have never been able to get my polishing that good! Probably not patient enough.. :biglaugh: I have a buffer but it is the 3400 rpm rather than the 1700 rpm recommended for buffing. I buy most of my buffing materials from Eastwood. They sell dedicated buffers (too expensive for me) and buffing kits as well as individual items.

Wow sweet can you post pics of the tools you used, I may try this my self.

I did my kz1000 front forks by hand and some motor parts it took me 4 days, for
me about 3 to 4 hours a day.

kzframe1.jpg
Love that bike!!! She looks good Great job!!!!

Bahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahaha deffinently do a how to on polishing!!!! I did a bunch on my bike but don't look as nice as this!!!! Your scoops turn out this good??? Maybe forks aren't cast aluminum??
the scoops can turn out nice if you work with them some. Gearhead has a set of scoops we did some trading and he got them from me.

Attachments

• new polished pics vmax 003.jpg
    new polished pics vmax 003.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 11
What about doing a HOW TO guide for polishing in order not to get all this good info scattered all over the place? Are you up to the job? Admins can then sticky it for everyone to check and use info accordingly... I also do polishing and i always like to know new techniques in order to improve and your polishing looks very good indeed...
Ok fred i will try to come up with something good. I am kinda shocked that so many people wanting to know how to polish I kinda thought the powder coat stuff and painting had taken over or they just had it chromed.:confused2: but since its rainy, cold as crap and windy today I will try to work on some info for everyone.:punk:

Latest posts

Back