cutting fork springs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeinga

Reaction score
Hey guys has anyone cut the stock springs to stiffen them up. I cut 1 1/2" off my virago 1100 springs and made a longer spacer to compensate and it made a huge difference for zero expense. I was thinking of doing the same with the Vmax but only cut an inch off and leave the stock spacer to lower it as well as stiffen, has anyone tried this and what were the results or does everyone just replace the springs with progressive or racetech?

You could just add a washer and 1" of PVC pipe to the top of the OEM spacer OR just get two 1" longer PVC pipes to stiffen the front up a bit.

Bad idea in so many ways. This does a couple of things. First you get reduced spring effective travel and can actually get spring "coil" bind before you hit the end of the stroke. Plus you are screwing up the "Sag".

Best to spend the $100 (or less) to get heavier springs and set them up correctly. I sell springs only for $80. Or springs with lowering kit for $100.

Latest posts

Back