Cutting keys with missing red key

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selva

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to his forum. I recently purchased a 2010 Vmax. When I purchased the bike the owner only had a black key with the round cap. I would like to make a copy of the key incase I loose the only one I have. I recently learn through the owners manual that it is impossible to copy a key without the red key unless the entire immobilizer system is changed. Is there a work around for this, dealer quoted me $2,000 for a new immobilizer set.

So just for anyone else who runs into this issue. The key can be cloned. The blank key # used by the locksmith I went too is YAMA-26D.P2

If you live near Toronto in Canada Lockshop LTD in Whitby, Ontario does this.

Not sure but i've made keys before?
Weird. The owners manual states if you don't have the red key it will be impossible to copy keys. I guess the manual was written 10 years ago and new tech came out since to clone key .

I believe you are in Canada, correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps the Canadian models use some sort of transponder or chip the ECM has to read in order to start the bike as a security measure. I have a 2009 U.S. model that I purchased used with only the black key that has the knob on it. I was at a Honda dealer looking at bikes one day. The Honda parts guy asked about my Vmax sitting in the parking lot. He looked at my bike and I started it up so he could hear the exhaust. He mentioned about the strange looking key. I explained I wish I had another key. He said he could make one out of a Honda blank that he said looked similar. It took him two tries. The first did not work but the second did. Just a plan old key cut from a Honda blank. Been working for 9 years now. He charged me $18.00 because he said it took him two tries to make it. I thought that was cheep.

I believe you are in Canada, correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps the Canadian models use some sort of transponder or chip the ECM has to read in order to start the bike as a security measure. I have a 2009 U.S. model that I purchased used with only the black key that has the knob on it. I was at a Honda dealer looking at bikes one day. The Honda parts guy asked about my Vmax sitting in the parking lot. He looked at my bike and I started it up so he could hear the exhaust. He mentioned about the strange looking key. I explained I wish I had another key. He said he could make one out of a Honda blank that he said looked similar. It took him two tries. The first did not work but the second did. Just a plan old key cut from a Honda blank. Been working for 9 years now. He charged me $18.00 because he said it took him two tries to make it. I thought that was cheep.

Yup I'm in Canada. I have a flashing red key icon on my tach when I shut the bike off. Not sure if you have that as well. So apparently the key does have a transponder to work with the ignition immobilizer. In order to copy it you need the red security key or you'd have to replace $2000 immobilizer unit according to manual and dealer when I called. The hack to that is what I did and it was to clone the transponders signal. Cost me $200 canadian for a spare key. But I'd rather $200 vs $2000 for new system if i loose the only key i had.

I just bought my Gen2 last month and it came with only the black key. The dealer told me that it does not have a transponder. The key cutter at the dealer could not hold the original, so I have ordered a second one from Yamaha directly.

The 2017 shop manual does not list an immobiliser or transponder reader in the ignition system.

Attachments

• Ignition System.pdf
    525.6 KB · Views: 7
That's the manual I have. And I have the flashing red immobilizer on the instrument panel. See pics.

Attachments

• 20200601_131603.jpg
    20200601_131603.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20200601-131536_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200601-131536_Drive.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 16
Yours goes to 11.

I downloaded the Owners Manual from the Yamaha Power Sports site and it only shows ten Indicator and Warning Lights. Like Nigel Tufnel in Spinal Tap, yours is one louder. See Pic.

As soon as I get home, I am going to power it on and see what the IC cluster does as it boots. I know there are lots of lights and a full swing of the RPM needle but I never really paid attention. If I have the other light I am going to scream bloody murder at the dealership as I do not have the other key.

Attachments

• IC Panel.png
    IC Panel.png
    468.1 KB · Views: 11
I can confirm that there was no immobilizer light in the IC when I started the bike. Clearly there are at least two different electrical versions of the Gen2. We know about the California version with exhaust canister, so here is another variant.

I bought mine used with one black round key and had a local locksmith make a copy without a transponder.My Yamaha dealer didn’t even know how to go about getting a new key. Didn't expect copy to work, but it did.It could be mine worked because it already had the Guru reflash done.Might be cheaper to get a reflash.

I joined this site recently again as I had been registered from the beginning as "98Vmax", it's been a while. I couldn't log back in for some reason. I have had to copy the round key once before years ago and the blank cost $60 and the dealers won't cut them as they are afraid if it fails, they will be on the hook for the expensive key blank. I then paid a locksmith another $40 to cut the key. This last time, I had Yamaha cut a key from the flat tear drop shaped second original key using an ILCO blank they had at the shop which only cost $14, probably less if you buy the blank online and take it to a hardware store. I then carefully dismantled the round key by bypassing (pushing in) the two small roll pins, removing the key with an attached plastic inner collar of sorts. I then carefully removed a copper colored rivet and separated the metal key from the collar. I used the metal key as a template and marked the new metal Ilco key. I then cut/formed the new key identically to the old one. I used a punch, a drill, hammer, bench grinder, and a dremel tool to remove the old key and shape the new20210803_171549.jpg20210803_171829.jpg20210803_185816.jpg20210803_181733.jpg20210803_184358.jpg key. I reused the copper colored rivet and reattached the newly shaped metal key to the inner collar reusing the copper colored rivet and then reassembled the key with the inner collar into the round key head using two new roll pins. Worked and looks perfect. I have more pictures if anyone needs them.

I joined this site recently again as I had been registered from the beginning as "98Vmax", it's been a while. I couldn't log back in for some reason. I have had to copy the round key once before years ago and the blank cost $60 and the dealers won't cut them as they are afraid if it fails, they will be on the hook for the expensive key blank. I then paid a locksmith another $40 to cut the key. This last time, I had Yamaha cut a key from the flat tear drop shaped second original key using an ILCO blank they had at the shop which only cost $14, probably less if you buy the blank online and take it to a hardware store. I then carefully dismantled the round key by bypassing (pushing in) the two small roll pins, removing the key with an attached plastic inner collar of sorts. I then carefully removed a copper colored rivet and separated the metal key from the collar. I used the metal key as a template and marked the new metal Ilco key. I then cut/formed the new key identically to the old one. I used a punch, a drill, hammer, bench grinder, and a dremel tool to remove the old key and shape the newView attachment 78762View attachment 78763View attachment 78764View attachment 78765View attachment 78766 key. I reused the copper colored rivet and reattached the newly shaped metal key to the inner collar reusing the copper colored rivet and then reassembled the key with the inner collar into the round key head using two new roll pins. Worked and looks perfect. I have more pictures if anyone needs them.
Can you explain how to push in the roll pins. I am trying to make one of these keys from one bought on ebay. Thank you.

Back