Deleting middle drive?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Maxero

Reaction score
I had started this under the general forum but it turned into a chain drive conversion question, so I'm asking it here. I have read most of the chain drive posts I could find here, but have not seen anything about completely removing the middle drive housing from the cases and putting an output shaft support bearing on the frame to make up for the removal of the motor mount. Has anyone seen this attempted? Any feedback is appreciated.

Do you need to remove a motor mount to convert to chain drive?
The engine is rubber mounted so a frame mounted support bearing for the output shaft would alway move relative to it. I would have thought that it would need to be static relative to the shaft?
Solid mounts may help but there still may be some movement?

The middle gearbox turns the drive 90 degrees. Without it your output shaft could only then be used with a chain drive, but that is probably what you want?

There is a large cover on the left side of the crankcase. "Generator cover" I'm looking at the possibility of making a replacement for this cover that extends rearward and houses the output shaft support bearing and a support for the shifter shaft, possibly even a motor mount. It can also extend forward and tie into the front motor mount. Any ideas?

Problem with the external drive conversion is that it won't clear the frame and swingarm. If you are planning to make a new entire rear frame half then you could get a much wider tire in there too.
A few different chain drive variations are pictured. You MUST also go with a solid set of mounts and even reinforcement of the frame is also suggested to keep the engine from flexing back which would allow the chain to walk off the sprocket.

Attachments

• 1570 Chain Drive 1.JPG
    1570 Chain Drive 1.JPG
    645.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1570 Chain Drive 2.JPG
    1570 Chain Drive 2.JPG
    637.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230518_164929.jpg
    20230518_164929.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Chain Drive 0 Wide Conversion.JPG
    Chain Drive 0 Wide Conversion.JPG
    642.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Chain Drive FZR Conversion.JPG
    Chain Drive FZR Conversion.JPG
    594.7 KB · Views: 0
  • External Chain Conversion Pic 1.jpg
    External Chain Conversion Pic 1.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 0
  • External Chain Drive Conversion.JPG
    External Chain Drive Conversion.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 0
Thanks. I couldn't ask for more info. I really appreciate it. I'm starting to think I know why there aren't any vmax choppers. Shaft drive on a chopper is just goofy...no point in that. And this engine is just a real PITA to convert to chain drive. I've had this engine sitting here for a while...a back burner project that I thought I'd move up and do something with. But honestly, I'm much more into welding up frames and making front ends than this re-engineering a drive thing. This project is going back into hibernation. Really appreciate all of the info though.

Back