Diavel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Pulled up to a stoplight this morning and saw a new Ducati Diavel here in Bakersfield Ca. where I've been working.

First impressions

This thing is way more beautiful than I thought from the pics on the internet.

This thing is way smaller than I though it would be. Significantly smaller looking than the Gen II

It's noisy as hell, does it have a dry clutch or something?

Once you get past the noisy mechanical thing coming from it and hear the engine? It doesn't sound at all like I expected, typical I guess for a 180 degree crank V-twin

The view from the back is Outstanding.

All in all I like it, gave the guy a big thumbs up, he said he bought it Saturday...

Any new bike has to be cool, and just getting it and getting out on it, to ride it and 'show' it off to anyone that will look. The swelled chest full of pride, the joyous feeling of riding up and down the strip is the best feeling when you have brand new bike or a new to you bike.

I sat on the AMG Diavel at the cycle show at rock finacial.

Feels way more comfortable than the Gen1 max, and I can
flat foot the Diavel, Im on my toes on the Gen1 ( stock seat ).

Like the looks, dont like the sound, like the comfort. Like the weight,
and I would imagine it probably handles on par or better than a Gen2.

Pulled up to a stoplight this morning and saw a new Ducati Diavel here in Bakersfield Ca. where I've been working.

First impressions

This thing is way more beautiful than I thought from the pics on the internet.

This thing is way smaller than I though it would be. Significantly smaller looking than the Gen II

It's noisy as hell, does it have a dry clutch or something?

Once you get past the noisy mechanical thing coming from it and hear the engine? It doesn't sound at all like I expected, typical I guess for a 180 degree crank V-twin

The view from the back is Outstanding.

All in all I like it, gave the guy a big thumbs up, he said he bought it Saturday...
The dry clutch noise is distracting but once they rev it up they typically sound good. I haven't heard the Diavel yet but it's a Duc twin so I imagine it's not going to be a bunch different than their other twins.

Ive riden one, it wont touch the Gen II in the !/4 and with a little more time on the Gen II I dont think a diavel gonna get me through the corners either, BUT they are low and comfy.

Both are very close in the 1/4 mile but are way too expensive for what they offer. I like the looks of the Diavel (more then a Gen II) but for the money I'd keep my Gen I put $5K in "upgrades" to it and be a lot more happier with the final product :)

Diavel has a wet clutch..
It is noisy as hell. I rode one for about 20 minutes a few months ago.
Nice bike brakes good, power is ok.... Handles good, comfy.
In general I really like it... Would not trade for my bike though, not even close...
An the Diavel is not even close in the 1/4.. a stocker Diavel as far as I know has not been in the nines, a stocker GenII has been in the low/mid nines
Hell I have been in the nines and I am 210 dressed out and am not a pro rider... with my bags on!

One thing never talked about in the comparison of a Gen 2 (or any Jap bike for that matter) to a Duc is reliability and cost of ownership. No comparison what-so-ever. Ducs are high maintenance bikes with poor reliability. Ride a Diavel the way most ride a VMax and be prepared to wave to it as it leaves on a flatbed for the stealership.

Diavel does nothing for me.....it's basically a Multistrada with a fat wheel in the back, suspension and styling changes. I'd rather have the Multistrada.

Now the Streetfighter..... that's one sexy bike IMO. Not very comfortable though, and a bit finicky.

I'd like to test ride both before I'd make an opinion. Either bike needs some changes from stock before I'd be happy. Not sure if the Duc has a limiter but I do like the iPhone approach that The Ducati went. I wish Yamaha would have made the Gen II with more modern electronics. But either bike would work for me. One question, why are the Gen II's a lot cheaper used? If you even find a Diavel used they still are ALOT closer to a new model price?? Do Ducati's hold their value better or are there just a lot less of them made? Just curious..

The Diavel uses the same type of clutch as the Gen2. Slipper wet... Has to to accomodate all the poneys and not lock the rear wheel... The rattling sound is the valves usually. They use a push pull rod system instead of springs. Thats why a Ducati can rev up a lot... Not only pushes the valves to open but it also pulls the valves to close not being dependent on spring reaction time. The rattling comes from that system.

Resale....
The Diavel has only been out for less than a year...
The Gen II has been out for 4 model years...
2010 (like mine) typically go for around 15,000 I paid 18,600 otd. thats not bad depreciation.

It seems like half the road tests MCUSA does on Italian bikes involve them breaking in some fashion.

One of those things, like Ferraris and such, where if you can afford the price of entry you can afford to buy the $8 popcorn and $5 drinks too.

I guess the name has something to do with the price. Ducati gets a better image in general. There will always be a fashion component to the bikes. Most of the people will not buy the bike just on the specs or the expert reviews. How many really care about the 1/4 miles performance? I would say not the guy commuting everyday with his bike.

The diavel made me curious but I'll go for a gen II with cosmetic changes or a streetfighter. Performance ? I don't really mind the difference since both will be more than enough to get the thrill :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back