Died while riding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxist

Reaction score
I took the max out to top off the gas, started great, ran great until I left the gas station. Heading down the road I gasses it and kicked in the vboost only to have the motor stop, dropped a gear and tried a rolling start, no luck. Rolled into the parking lot and tried to re-start. All electrical functions like the horn, light worked, fuel pump kicks in, engine turns over strong but no starting. I did get it to backfire once. I also thought I heard a crackeling sound when the engine was turning over. I let it set for a few hours to walk home and get my truck and trailer to get it home. After a few hrs still no start, got the bike home and later in the evening it fired right up and ran great. I'm assuming a bad electrical connection somewhere, but not sure where to start. Any suggestions?

Engine turns over strong? And you have gas? Sounds like no spark. When you attempted to start did you choke it/gas it? I had a similar problem but I think I traced it to a bad connector

Whatever it is, a lot of things can be eliminated. When it happened, everything quit. Something like a Bad Battery Connection, ECU Connector or the ECU itself. Or, even a Fuel Filter.., Fuel Tank Vent, Tip Over Valve, to name a few choices....

Good Luck......:biglaugh:

When it happened just the engine stopped running. When I parked it I tried to start it in neutral and all lights worked and the starter was turning the engine over strong. (sure glad I got the Oddessy battery last summer!) I tried choking and not choking. My bike runs well when it's running and routinely starts on the 2nd crank, so I don't think it has to do with air/fuel mixture. Since all cylinders didn't fire, I'm thinking the plugs, coils and wires are good. I can't imagine all four going bad at once. I think I have narrowed it down to the side stand relay, ignition module, pick up coils and the associated wiring/connectors. I did see the pressure sensor in the wiring diagram, but I'm thinking if that went bad it would just run rough. My first check after I get home from work will be the side stand relay and it's connections. My bike is starting now, but I'm going to pull the side stand relay to see if it behaves in the same way as yesterday and clean/grease all the connections.

Any one have an idea how the pick up coils signals are used? Is it for for engine speed for the ignition module to regulate the timing?

By the way is the tip over sensor the reed switch as shown in the wiring diagrams?

Back