Does loud =Fast?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadb1

Reaction score
Is there a performance exhaust system that isnt so loud?Or do you have to have the noise in order to increase flow?Am I stock with the stock system if I like peace and quiet?Thanks,Chad
________
GSF1200

Last edited:
I need to ask what you define as loud. My HMF system growls and is probably loud by most standards. Whereas the Hindle system has more of a sportbike sound, but is definately louder than the stock system. The Hindle has a slight performance advantage, very slight, over the HMF, but a huge one over the stock system. Thing is the Hindle will run you a lot more than the HMF (they no longer make the HMF system so it is not easy to find one). The Marks 4-2 system sounds sweet and is not too loud by my standards. You can check out Youtube and look for sound bytes.

It is safe to say that more performance requires more flow and more flow = more sound/noise - different aftermarket exhausts provide different levels of sound and tone - as an example, Mark's/Hindle/HMF provide a deep tone/growl and a Kerker with 2.5" baffle is damn loud and higher tone (but great performance)

So you need to listen to various exhausts and decide which one you like best, but pretty all of them will be louder than stock and to me that's a good thing.

Mike

Loud= Performance Gains, Safety of Being Heard before Seen.

Most of the performance increase is from the head pipe design and size.
No it doesnt really have to be loud for an increase in performance over stock. But yes, the louder the faster the exhaust can escape.

Which explains why all racing vehicles are LOUD - no restriction for the best performance.

I'm very happy with my stock exhaust though. First it's a '07 item, so brand spanking new and shiny. Second it's really quiet, which I totally love when I'm doing too many miles on the highway. And third with this setup my Max still puts down well over 100 hp to the rear wheel, giving me plenty enough performance to get to speeds the chassis can't handle!

You can never have enough HP:biglaugh: Heck even I am looking at my next round of engine mods..... and if you ask folks who have ridden Snowmax they will tell you that it has tons of power now. Next on the agenda = heads + cams, want to pass 180hp at the rear wheel with an end goal of 200hp. Gonna take time and $$$$$$$

You can never have enough HP:biglaugh: Heck even I am looking at my next round of engine mods..... and if you ask folks who have ridden Snowmax they will tell you that it has tons of power now. Next on the agenda = heads + cams, want to pass 180hp at the rear wheel with an end goal of 200hp. Gonna take time and $$$$$$$

Being one of the lucky ones to try the Snowmax, it definitely makes a regular max feel tame - the thing I was most impressed is that the power is very smooth and is right there from 2500 to 8500 or up to 200km/hr (as far as I took it with a beanie helmet on).

Mike

Just to add my $.02

I have the Holeshot system. I've had it for several months now. I really like it. It's loud but not stupid loud. It has a great low end rumble, deep toned which I really like. It has straight thru, 14" mufflers. I spoke to Dale before I bought the system and he said that he has tested this system and seen a 17 hp increase on his dyno over stock (I'm sure his magic touch on tunning the carbs may have a little to do with that as well):ummm:. He has also tested shorter (louder) mufflers with no increase in hp. He likes his exhaust loud enough to be noticed/heard but not ripping your head off. Dale is more interested in hp gain than sound.

I live in the Tidewater area of Va (military town/lots of tunnels) and I've said it before, it sounds great in the tunnels. It almost pressurizes the tunnel.

Hope this helps,
Shane

Is there a performance exhaust system that isnt so loud?Or do you have to have the noise in order to increase flow?Am I stock with the stock system if I like peace and quiet?Thanks,Chad

Have you ever heard a Harley? I rest my case

My Kerker is obnoxious LOUD!! to others behind me and beside me but not in the saddle.
After making a turn down tip extension it has made my bike quiter to the ear during riding. My, friends cant stand to ride on the right side of me and I can burst ear drums to the asshole cage drivers that piss me off as I blast past there open driver side window as I am reaching REDLINE!

I dont know but I like watching the dust scatter on the ground when I whick the gas from the turn down tip:confused2: I dont know why I guess its just me

I dont know but I like watching the dust scatter on the ground when I whick the gas from the turn down tip:confused2: I dont know why I guess its just me

No it's not just you.. The idea of dust flying off from the exhaust pressure is real attractive to me too! :worthy::rofl_200::clapping:

No it's not just you.. The idea of dust flying off from the exhaust pressure is real attractive to me too! :worthy::rofl_200::clapping:

Remember, as a kid, spinning your bicycle tire in the gravel and looking back at the same time to watch the dirt fly? :eusa_dance:

Same thing! :biglaugh: Bet we all did it.

My Kerker is obnoxious LOUD!! to others behind me and beside me but not in the saddle.
After making a turn down tip extension it has made my bike quiter to the ear during riding. My, friends cant stand to ride on the right side of me and I can burst ear drums to the asshole cage drivers that piss me off as I blast past there open driver side window as I am reaching REDLINE!

RE: My Kerker is obnoxious LOUD!!

A: Just like the owner :biglaugh:

Didn't you engineer that turn down just like the swingarm you notched :confused2:

RE: it has made my bike quiter

A: Nothing new here, I'm sure your bike is a quiter.

Be afraid...very afraid :biglaugh:

Maybe a popcicle can save you??? Likely not :rofl_200:

Rent an 85 engine and talk shit...build one, another story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57CV_522SbM

Maybe you can catch 14 seconds of video while someone gives a crap on utube???

John Force Pits
Powder Coating Booth
Whooping more sport bikes on the VMAX
Burnout
Engine Install VMAX V MAX
Dragging the VMAX
Return road
VMAX topfuel burn out (What???)

See the above video if you have any doubt. I've owned it from day one and made it what is is with help from this board!

Go grab that boss hoss...hoss!!!

Aint gonna happen :rofl_200:

Who's the guy playin bass in this video??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugmxdT5qnE4

???

Last edited by a moderator:
Loud=fast

No......

loud equal possibble HP increase, usually but not always.........

And here's my wish for the future.....

Cop pulls you over for loud pipes

Gives you a really expensive ticket

Here's the catch;

Go get a dyno pull and a Decibel reading and if your Dyno pull HP is higher than your Db reading you get out of the ticket...

Would love to see all those ridiculously loud Harley's and others that make 95-100Db and around 65-70Hp off the road...

Remember, No one, and I mean no one, thinks your loud motorcycle is as cool as you do.......

My Motorcycle is loud as hell by the way.....

[/qoute]
Go get a dyno pull and a Decibel reading and if your Dyno pull HP is higher than your Db reading you get out of the ticket...
[/quote]

I would get out of this ticket :biglaugh:

Back