First gen 2 and questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2014 gen 2 all stock. It is heavy but it is very smooth. Some questions. Oil, is there anything wrong with using the recommended Yamalube? Benefits of other suggested oils? I have an ME880 on the front that will be needing replacement in the not to near future. I will not be doing any knee dragging on this. Just the occasional acceleration run on the freeway. I think I will want a muffler with a little more note. I do not want crazy loud. Any suggestions? When you do the mufflers does this eliminate the cat? If I do cat and muffler do I need to have a reflash? Reflashing removes the restrictions on the throttle openings? After that is it still smooth or is the throttle very sensitive? Is there a video of things like spark plug change? If it is running fine should I worry about changing them? The only problem I have with the bike is it is so smooth you do not realize how fast you are going. LOL I have to watch as 80 to 90 is so easy to cruise at. Thanks all

I just bought a 2014 gen 2 all stock. It is heavy but it is very smooth. Some questions. Oil, is there anything wrong with using the recommended Yamalube? Benefits of other suggested oils? If it is running fine should I worry about changing them? The only problem I have with the bike is it is so smooth you do not realize how fast you are going. LOL I have to watch as 80 to 90 is so easy to cruise at. Thanks all
I see no benefit from paying more than you need to and provided the oil is equal to or better than that recommended by Yamaha then fill with whatever you want.
If 'better' costs more then I doubt if you will notice any different other than your wallet is a bit lighter.

First rule of owning a bike new to you: Never assume to PO did any servicing or maintenance on it.
Unless you have documented evidence that the bike has been serviced as recommended then I always assume it hasn't and give it a full service. Not only will you know the bike is in good fettle but it is a way to familiarise yourself with it.

I just bought a 2014 gen 2 all stock. It is heavy but it is very smooth. Some questions. Oil, is there anything wrong with using the recommended Yamalube? Benefits of other suggested oils? I have an ME880 on the front that will be needing replacement in the not to near future. I will not be doing any knee dragging on this. Just the occasional acceleration run on the freeway. I think I will want a muffler with a little more note. I do not want crazy loud. Any suggestions? When you do the mufflers does this eliminate the cat? If I do cat and muffler do I need to have a reflash? Reflashing removes the restrictions on the throttle openings? After that is it still smooth or is the throttle very sensitive? Is there a video of things like spark plug change? If it is running fine should I worry about changing them? The only problem I have with the bike is it is so smooth you do not realize how fast you are going. LOL I have to watch as 80 to 90 is so easy to cruise at. Thanks all
Hi
Owns 2019 max at 15 k I am using yamalube 20-50 which is recommended by Yamaha and riding great and it’s all stock and just added triumph rocket 3 and intend to keep both stock see if you can buy shop manual it will answer all your questions
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0733.jpeg
    IMG_0733.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0732.jpeg
    IMG_0732.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
The manual for my 09 says the following:
Page 7-14
in order to prevent clutch slippage (since the engine oil also lubricates the clutch), do not mix any chemical additives.
do not use oils of a specification of “CD” or oils of a higher quality than specified.
in addition, do not use oils labeled “ENERGY CONSERVING II” or higher.
Page 9-1
Recommended engine oil grade : API service SG type or Higher, JASO standard MA.

So, 7-14 says don’t use higher grades than specified but 9-1 says SG type or higher,,, hmm.

I’ve used yamalube 20w50 since the bike was new, no problems.
‘The latest version of that yamalube is 20w50 MT.
I assume any motorcycle oil with SG JASO standard MA rating would be fine.

try to resist the urge to overfil.

I did the following initial mods when I got my stock Gen 2 10 years ago (I did more with the years but these initial ones made a big difference IMO):

- Double D Clutch
- Removed the CAT and replaced with x-pipe. Kept the original cans and the sound improvement was enough for me. The x-pipes are hard to find. I just saw this post selling one. Contact the owner for more info. (See video with the x-pipe sound)
- Airbox mod
- Gurued Gear ECU flash. Contact Tim Nash.
- I am using Shinko 011 Verge tires (front/rear). Never had any issues.
- I was using Amsoil for years but last change the cost was double the price of the Yamalube so I switched. I would say the Amsoil felt smoother with shifting but nothing major to justify the cost difference.

Enjoy the beast!

X-Pipe_02.jpg

View attachment 20180219_184956000_iOS.MOV.mov

Back