Does the red '55' on speedo indicate a US import?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cryptorchid

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for adding me!

I have just bought a 1999 Carbon Edition, 2 owners and 13600 miles on the clock in lovely 'un-customised' condition. When going to insure it in the UK, I am asked if it is an imported model. Though the registration number shows it to be a UK vehicle on the registration database, it has the 55 mile per hour mark on the speedo highlighted in red, which I believe indicates a US import. The previous owner is unsure.

It is definitely full power, with V-boost, and though it makes no difference to the insurance premium, if I make the wrong declaration and have an accident... well, you know what insurance companies are like!

Any help would be much appreciated.

1996-2004 Vmaxes released in the UK were full power and since the UK uses mph like the US.
I'd think they would have used the same speedo (with the 55 in red).
But someone that has a full power Vmax that was released in the UK will have to confirm that.

Check special notes ..( section 3 ) on front of V5....that will state any info regarding if it's an import etc

Last edited:
And what the hell dos that implicate on the insurance? I know what you mean with false declarations. Can't you just say - I don't know as I bought it used?

Thanks for everyone's input. Geordie was right about the V5. Basically if it was first registered new in this country, it is not considered an import. If it's first registration is in another country and then brought over here, it is considered an import. That's what Bennetts say anyway. And the red 55 on the speedo is an American thing (along with the total lack of a headlight switch?!)

Picked it up on Saturday, and after waiting 25 years for one, am I disappointed? Not one f***ing bit!

Nice !
Thanks for the info.
And I completely forgot that the UK models had a headlight switch.
In the US we are required to have the headlight on at all times.

Enjoy the bike.....and remember to " zero " the trip meter when you fill the tank, not much range ;-)

...if it was first registered new in this country, it is not considered an import. If it's first registration is in another country and then brought over here, it is considered an import. That's what Bennetts say anyway.

There is a variation on that know as a 'Grey Import' where a machine was intended for one country (e.g. U.S.A.) but legally imported unregistered into the U.K. usually independently of the official distributor.
It would still be first registered in the U.K.
This was a common practice in the mid '90's and '00's when weak U.K. currency made it profitable. The practice diminished significantly when the pound strengthened.
I have often been asked if my bike is a Grey Import (it is) but have no idea if any additional cost is involved.
I could understand that this may affect a premium if the machine and parts are not readily available in the U.K.

'Grey imports' works both ways, you can have a never-registered European or Asian vehicle brought into the USA and sold as-new here, but getting the work done to make it meet USA regulations can be expensive. I have never done this. I have read about the process and stories about the tasks to be accomplished to satisfy the laws here. You wouldn't want to buy a car (or motorcycle) here brought in that way, but not fully-conversion-completed, only to have it impounded. I believe that those are destroyed after a period of time if not restored to USA-spec, or removed from the country.

Brad Lackey, the famous Kawasaki pro motocrosser, was one of those doing this at one time.

Latest posts

Back